Worth it to Compensate?

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was ambidextrous as a child, though I was forced to choose a hand and now write with my right. I train both sides equally, though I've noticed some differences in them. Kicks with my left leg are more accurate; my right is more powerful. In sparring, being able to fight with either side forward is often an advantage over one-sided fighters. When you're old and rickety (like me) it also helps to be able to switch sides to rest your legs.
The dojang I belonged too in my early teens had two fighters who were truly ambidextrous, and it was one of the most infuriating things to me to face them. I got pretty good at fighting someone when I knew which hand (foot) they favored, but when they could switch at any moment......... SHEEESH!!!

But it made me have to grow too. That's why I'm a big believer in training both sides!

Your Brother
John

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm still confused as to why you wouldn't want to be at least decent while doing techniques on your less dominant side?

well for instance, i shadowbox southpaw sometimes just in the interest of making my workout symmetrical. but rather then spend a lot of time learning to actually box southpaw, it's simpler to learn how to fight from an orthodox stance, then learn how to fight a southpaw from the same stance rather than try to beat them at their own game. i just very seldom fight with my right foot forward, though i am capable of executing a few techniques from there until i can get my regular stance.

jf

Latest Discussions