On Being Ambidextrous in MA

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are ambushing me it probably doesn't matter, if you are any good at your job my handedness is way down the list of variables that are going to influence how this fight ends.

If this is a duel, it probably also won't matter unless we are very close in skill level, if I know you are coming and I get into my preferred set-up, if you can beat my strongest structure, one that I use to train against all other structures, what chance does my "weak" fighting structure have?

But there is one unimpeachable source of martial wisdom regarding handedness:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
True ambidexterity where left and right sides function with equal speed, strength and efficiency I think is rare?

Jenna
Good thread.

Do you think is it possible to generate a reasonable level of approximation to true ambidexterity through consistent practice?

Yes but I do believe it has to be trained and taught with that goal in mind.

Do you train equally left and right in your art? If so, in randori / sparring do you find you revert to your dominant side?

Not quite equally but more than most. However when sparring I do revert to a more dominant side depending upon the situation and the opponent.

Would the amount of effort and determination needed to realise a state of true -or close to true- ambidexterity be worthwhile in order to more capably defend ourselves? Or is this the very essence of adaptability in our MA that we can compensate for weakness on our non-dominant sides?

I welcome your input :)

If you are talking about self defense than I believe than training for ambidexterity can be a good thing, however for competition and or dueling then I believe you are better off training with the intent making the one side dominant and the other side to support (or back up) the dominant side.

I study and teach the Filipino martial arts (Presas Arnis specifically) where we do a lot of double stick drills and the emphasis is translating the techniques and such to single stick and empty hand etc. etc. (I'm talking about my classes here.) Anyway the goal is self development and improvement, self defense etc. etc. So we will spend a lot of time learning double stick drills and the students have seen improvement using their left hand (or their off hands) as they build skills using the sticks. This includes foot work, body shifting, disarming, etc. etc. and naturally when they learn it with their off hand with a stick in it they practice the same technique empty handed (generally) with the single stick (in a supporting role) and empty handed in a primary role. My goal is to teach the student to use different weapons with different hands or in different combinations so as a general rule they can pick up anything around them with either hand and hopefully use it against an unskilled attacker. (I'm speaking of self defense in general terms here.)

I believe that the chances of getting into an altercation aren't real high here in the states (statistically on an individual basis) so me training for ambidexterity has different benefits including possibly defending my self from an attack. However if I was competing or in a culture where I stood a fair chance of being challenged than that is a different story. If it was common or there was a high chance of someone coming and challenging me to a duel with weapons where the chance of injury was pretty high then it is better to train your best weapon, you best techniques, your best skills to meet that challenge (being one side dominant with the other hand being a supporting role). I think Blindside stated this point well.

Likewise if I trying to spar or duel with someone (even empty handed) my mindset isn't about self improvement, it is survival and not to get hurt by hopefully winning the match. I believe it is a different mindset with different goals for either self improvement, self defense or for dueling (sparring).

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Blindside, yes absolutely if your strongest structure has fully compensated for any symmetrical inequality then you are at no disadvantage. I welcome your point. As for Princess Bride, I am sure you are not the only one to abide by such hardcore martial teaching ;)

Again purely hypothetically and rhetorically, usually it is plain reasonably quickly which is the preferred side of the opponent. For me I can feel sometimes when he is compensating his weaker defence on that side by working harder his stronger side and/or continually readjusting his position. For me this is sometimes an easy opening which lets him create opportunities for me his opponent to take advantage of his imbalance. Again, this is not a response to your situation rather it is a point to ensure that we have -as you say- a FULLY compensated structure which acknowledges any perceived lateral deficiency.

@The Boar Man, thank you for taking the time to post, I welcome your views. Can I ask please, do you think there is any chance that enhancing our dominant sides could give us one less element of unpredictability (and thus one more of predictability)? Perhaps that is too narrow a view which does not take in enough of the variables? I like that FMA drills which emphasise changing hands and double-weapons drills because no matter what they are, by utilising both sides of the brain and forcing a lead with both hands at various times, I think the ability of the fighter can only improve. I also agree about different mindsets for different tasks, I would only add maybe that to improve our skill purely for its own sake may also in turn improve our defensive capability. What do you think? Thank you.

ShotoKHAN

White Belt
Reaction score
From a power standpoint, being ambidextrous has the benefit of being able to bring your strong side up front and your weaker side back. This way, your weak side now has the backing of good footwork and hip power to deliver harder punches. Now, you have two decently powered sides as compared to one strong side and one weak side.

This is something i researched from Bruce Lee, and it seemed to work during my training.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From a power standpoint, being ambidextrous has the benefit of being able to bring your strong side up front and your weaker side back. This way, your weak side now has the backing of good footwork and hip power to deliver harder punches. Now, you have two decently powered sides as compared to one strong side and one weak side.

This is something i researched from Bruce Lee, and it seemed to work during my training.

Actually, "power-side forward" (ie a "southpaw" or right foot forward stance) is favored in Filipino Martial Arts since the right side typically carries the weapon, and is also used with empty hands for the for the reasons you gave. I train this way, but I an hardly ambidextrous! My instructor jokingly refers to the non-dominant side as the "retarded side" ...or, in my case, "the more retarded side".

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
True ambidexterity where left and right sides function with equal speed, strength and efficiency I think is rare?

Do you think is it possible to generate a reasonable level of approximation to true ambidexterity through consistent practice?

Do you train equally left and right in your art? If so, in randori / sparring do you find you revert to your dominant side?

Would the amount of effort and determination needed to realise a state of true -or close to true- ambidexterity be worthwhile in order to more capably defend ourselves? Or is this the very essence of adaptability in our MA that we can compensate for weakness on our non-dominant sides?

A bit late to this party, but I'll toss in my .02. :)

I think its natural to train both your left and right. We do our punches, kicks, blocks, with both sides. In Kenpo, we have techniques that defend right and left attacks. To make it easier when I'd teach, I taught myself how to do some of the techs on the other side. Rather than have my back to them, I'd stand facing them, and do the opposite, so they could mirror me easier. However, some in the Kenpo world think that its a waste of time, that time is better spent just working them as they are. Personally, I agree with that. I mean, even if there wasn't a defense in the system, that covered a particular left sided attack, it should be fairly simple to adapt, as we should be doing. :)

Arnis....oddly enough, GM Remy was left handed, but you'd never know it by the way he did things just as good with his right..lol. We have various drills that cover both sides equally, ie: rt v. rt, rt v. lt, lt v. rt, and lt v. lt. Its really not that difficult, if you're not thinking about it. Its amazing how things just seem to flow so easy. :)

When I spar, I mainly fight with my left leg forward. I'm right handed, but this feels more comfortable for me. Have I switched into a right lead? Sure. :)

IMHO, I think that since a huge portion of the population is right handed, may as well train to fight them. However, I think that totally neglecting the left isn't wise, but I dont think that we need to devote huge amounts of time to the left. Personally, if it was a matter of training the left for hours on end or training some practical drills that would make you an overall better fighter, martial artist, etc, I'd go with the latter. :)

Hope that answered your questions. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, lemme settle this issue once and for all. Two words: Zombie Apocalypse.

How does this matter? I'll tell ya. You are right-handed, and you've learned to wield your zombie killing tools (swords, tomahawks, hammers, etc.) quite well in your right hand. You find yourself in the middle of a zombie mob, and you are fighting desperately to get out of the middle of it without getting bitten. It's bladework to the right of you, bladework to the left of you, bladework in front and behind and you are holding your own. Then the worst thing possible happens: you get bit. On your right forearm. You are on your way to becoming a zombie, unless you can do something about it. You've got about 10 seconds to get the job done. You've got to switch your blade to your LEFT hand, and cut off your right arm at the elbow, before the zombie virus spreads to the rest of your body and it's too late. Then you've still got to fight your way out of the mob.

If you've never practiced with your left hand, you are screwed.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, I'll be serious...

absolutely yes, it is possible. However I believe your dominant side will always be better, or at least will feel more comfortable than the other side. Given the choice, it makes sense to always fight to your dominant side. But I don't believe you can count on always having the choice. You might be carrying your infant in your dominant hand, and some bad guy could deliberately target you because of that, seeing an easy opportunity for a mugging. You may not be able to drop the baby or switch him to the other hand. You may need to fight with the recessive side, and if you've practiced comprehensibly with it, you've got a much better chance of getting the job done.

not equally, but I do make a deliberate effort to train both sides. With basics, absolutely equally. Our forms in Chinese martial arts are often one-sided, and I do work them to some extent on the opposite side. It's not pretty, but I feel it's a good process to go thru.

For most people I do not believe they will reach even close to true ambidexterity. But I do believe they can train to a functional level on the recessive side and I see that as viable and worthwhile.

Another issue for me is in physical development. My weapons work is essentially my strength training. I use realistically weighted swords and spears and staffs, and they go a long way in developing strength. Working with the weapons on both sides helps the body to develop strength evenly, so I don't end up with a weird lopsided physical development. While I don't (yet) work my sword forms on both sides, I do work sword basics on both sides so I am developing some relevant strength and skill with the weapon on the weak side. I do work my spear and staff on both sides already.

I am also an archer, and I shoot some heavy bows. To develop the strength for it, I draw on a regular basis, even when I can't go to the range to actually shoot (which isn't nearly as often as I'd like). Archery in particular can lead to lopsided physical development and there is plenty of archaeological evidence from midieval battlefields, skeletal remains of archers that show very clear evidence of uneven development from drawing very heavy bows on one side only, for many years. So I draw equally on both sides, and when I do go to the range I spend some time actually shooting on the weak side.

That's my take on it, anyways.

Latest Discussions