How to train your opposite side to be as good as your dominant side?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He would be doing it wrong, more. LOL
Can you explain what you mean by this? From my own practice, working on your weak side helps, since you know what is right, rather than just getting muscle memory from bad practice. Am I misunderstanding something, or is there something in my practice of kenpo that you disagree with?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Idk. Are they bad or something? I normally chain them after some punches.
AFAIK, they're useful for when the opponent comes rushing in while you are in a side stance. Gives you the distance to then close in, to throw your punches and elbows. Eagerly awaiting touch of death's response to find out why I am wrong.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AFAIK, they're useful for when the opponent comes rushing in while you are in a side stance. Gives you the distance to then close in, to throw your punches and elbows. Eagerly awaiting touch of death's response to find out why I am wrong.
I am quite sure you are practicing things, I don't like, but I can't see you. LOL

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you explain what you mean by this? From my own practice, working on your weak side helps, since you know what is right, rather than just getting muscle memory from bad practice. Am I misunderstanding something, or is there something in my practice of kenpo that you disagree with?
Yeah you could stand to clean that up. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok well I do take a step forward, think Bruce Lee but not a hop.

Use them the same way as you would use a teep.

If you saw john jones Las fight he side kicked and teeped his oponants knee about a million times.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you injure your left leg, you can't throw a right side kick either because now your left leg is your "rooting leg".
It depends on the type of injury that was done to the left leg. Some leg injuries will allow you to use a leg for rooting but not for kicking.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At any rate, if you can launch a side kick off one side, you should be able to launch the other. It isn't even about the kick, it about how much you weigh, and how fast you got that weight moving.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
At any rate, if you can launch a side kick off one side, you should be able to launch the other. It isn't even about the kick, it about how much you weigh, and how fast you got that weight moving.

209 pounds of a mix of awesomeness, mild obsessive compulsive disorder and determination.

Latest Discussions