The Original Pilates?

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if Yoga or Pilates is now the most popular form of exercise, but I was talking to one of my customers the other day (retired phys-ed teacher) and he insisted that Pilates has been watered down in the extreme.

Apparently he studied the original books. Joseph Pilates himself called it 'Contrology' and it was a way, not only of developing core strength but also the ideal posture by lengthening certain muscles.

The ideal was to be able to lay down flat on hardwood and find that there is NO GAP between the lower spine, shoulder blades...and the floor!

Does anyone think this is a worthwhile goal for MA?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think flexibility should go hand-in-hand with MA training. I don't think that the ideal of the allegedly "pure" version of pilates is something to look for in MAs, generally speaking.

J Ellis

Green Belt
Reaction score
Check out The Complete Book of Pilates for Men by: Daniel Lyons. It is an excellent introduction to the Pilates system, and yes, the method was not originally for ladies' fitness classes. It was a very serious system for everyone from boxers to ballet dancers (not to suggest that ladies' fitness classes are not serious...oops).

Joel

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if Yoga or Pilates is now the most popular form of exercise, but I was talking to one of my customers the other day (retired phys-ed teacher) and he insisted that Pilates has been watered down in the extreme.

Apparently he studied the original books. Joseph Pilates himself called it 'Contrology' and it was a way, not only of developing core strength but also the ideal posture by lengthening certain muscles.

The ideal was to be able to lay down flat on hardwood and find that there is NO GAP between the lower spine, shoulder blades...and the floor!

Does anyone think this is a worthwhile goal for MA?
I don't see the use of it. As core musculature is not about a straight back at all.
Lying flat on hardwood (i.e. ignoring the natural curves of your back, which is in the lumbar region supposed to be lordosed) and practicing that could give you problems in the long run.
I'm not saying that mobilisation of the vertebrae is bad. But it will not develop your core muscles.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lying flat on hardwood (i.e. ignoring the natural curves of your back, which is in the lumbar region supposed to be lordosed) and practicing that could give you problems in the long run.
I think the theory is that the psoas muscles are stretched and lengthened to the point where the lordosis of the lower spine is straightened and minimized...so the body needs less effort to balance and carry its own weight.

Theres a lot of talk in Chinese internal arts about 'tucking in the tailbone'...same principle.

Efforts are made also to the pull the shoulder blades back further than their 'natural' slouched forward posture.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You are not going to stretch them massive, as your body will probably compensate. Something which every human being's body is a master at.

Plus alot of the muscle work done by the psoas is also done by the M. Iliacus. Together they are called the M. Iliopsoas. And that muscle's origin is on your hipbone.

Normal stretching using the PNF method (proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation method) and with extra attention towards your natural curves could get you there alot faster and with less extreme ideas.

The lordosis of the lumbar region is normal, the body is built that way to spread its weight.

Tucking the tailbone, I can only speak for what I see in my experience: alot of people who go into horsestance actually overlordose their lumbar region. Mostly because of being out of shape.
If you tuck the tailbone, you'll get your normal lumbar curve back (at that point the tailbone is tucked between your Glutei Maxima).

Overlordosis of the lowerback is a good lead towards Herniated discs. It's ok to do it a couple of times, but lying on hard wood for several hours? Wouldn't recommend it.

Latest Discussions