2010 Training Goals

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it would be nice to talk about what your training goals are for the upcoming year. Every year, I like to focus on a few things to improve. Whether or not they actually happen is another story..lol..but for the most part I do feel that it is important to have something to work towards.

Some of mine are as follows:

Improve my cardio/endurance. I lift weights 3 times a week, however, sometimes the cardio lacks, even though I do walk a few times a day with the dog before I go to work. This should hopefully let me lose those stubborn 10lbs that I'd like to lose.

Make an effort to return to BJJ class. I'd like to make it to at least 1-2 classes, with at least 1 private a month.

I've been working on breaking away from the typical sparring that I was brought up with over the years and focus more on more boxing and in-fighting. Its funny how hard it is to break old habits. :) I work this weekly with my Kenpo inst. but I'd like to continue on the road that I'm on, and get that much better. :)

I'd love to do something to give back to the main arts (Kenpo and Arnis) that I train in. I'd love to set up a few small seminars with martial artists in the area. There are alot of great people in the MA/NY/NJ area that I'd love to invite down for a 1-2 day mini seminar. The goal of this isn't to put cash in my pocket, but instead provide people with some top notch instruction.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
- train more
- include more cardio
- more core training

- maybe take up an extra art, just to keep me aware

good idea about the seminars! I have no experience in arnis, but would love to come. You have the right state of mind!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have lost 50 pounds. I have another 35 to go. That's my weight goal for 2010.

I have dropped my 3 mile run time from 45 minutes to 35 minutes. My fitness goal for 2010 is 3 miles in 25 minutes.

I just earned my go-kyu (green belt) in Isshin-Ryu. My goal for 2010 is to earn my yon-kyu (blue belt) and be a good part of the way towards my brown belt.

I want to improve the katas I know; sanchin, seisan, and seuichin. I want to finish the kata I am working on now; naihanchin. From there, I need wansu for my blue belt and chinto for my brown belt, as well as learning the 'back side' of the kata to be a good uke. So that's my kata goal for 2010.

I have diabetes and I take meds for it. I want to continue to control my blood glucose levels through diet and exercise, and that's my health goal for 2010.

My wife lives in North Carolina and I live in Michigan; we're apart only due to my job. In 2010, I plan to move the family to Michigan so we can be together again. That's my family goal for 2010.

And then of course there is the lottery. I have notified the lottery officials that I am ready to accept any prize over 10 million dollars. I hope they are a little better about it this year than they were last year. So that's my financial goal for 2010.

Other than that, I just totally want to rock. That's my coolness goal for 2010. Oh wait, I already totally rock. Well, then. More of the same.

Rock on, d00ds.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
First is to test with Mr. Sepulveda for my BB in EPAK.

Second is to test for Blue Belt in Gracie Jiujitsu(yes via their video testing system).

Third is to get my school numbers built up and to find a permanent location for it and my gym.

Fourth is to get my client base for personal training to the levels I want. I have the goal of having regular training sessions for high school, college, and former athletes.

Fifth is to meet my own personal fitness goals. Lose some weight, get stronger, etc.

Sixth and final is to get my CrossFit Level 2 certification. This one, IMO, is the most difficult, since the failure rate is so high.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello...

My goals will be related to kata training. An attempt for a greater understanding of the "small stuff".

I wish to spend more time with them and study, more deeply, the possible applications of the form and movements. Only means making more training time for me. And finally taking time to teach certain ones more often. For a long time I had others teach them on my behalf. I will be doing more of that, myself. There are some of them that need a mild dusting off.

And, I want to eat less at "buffets" along the way... I will need to train hard to do this. I love food, and food loves me. Perhaps the one gift that "keeps giving". :)

Good topic. Thank you.
Happy New Year...
Milt G.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simply to become a student once again and grow myself and my school.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 2010 training goal is to finally heal up from my injuries. I need to loose 25 lbs! If I can do those things, I want to test for my 4th Dan this year.

Lord, here my prayer.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope to advance to another rank in Janurary. It'd be my first testing after 6 months of training in a new style. My instructor hopes to advance me above a couple of ranks due to my previous experience in another style.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Get a good body composition for 180-85#s, 192#s and body fat is to high. Build back up to a 400# deadlift and a 88# Kettlebell Russian Military press and 12 pull ups a set by Spring.

- Improve Ukemi, It's starting to get a little rough for my taste.

- Work Ashi waza (leg) throws as a personal priority this year.

- Work more left sided technique.

- Dedicate more time to FMA practice, keep it basic and build a good base for further study. Footwork, double stick and power generation for empty hand strikes. Build up so in spring I can go up North more and be able to keep up.

- Spend more time working joint locks this year.

- Regain my kicking ability from my youth as much as practicle while peeling away alot of the BS I used to do when it came to kicking.
KISS- Low round, mid line Front thrust, Low Piston, med-low sidekicks, groin kicks, oblique stomp kicks and cresent kicks.

- Try to get in more reps durring classes I teach without compromising instruction of students.

- Spar more.

- Dedicate more time to Graound work.

Continue to go forward with our school.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
My training goals for the next year has always just been continued training and focus. However this time I have actually have a few more specific things in mind.

-Devote more time to training, 2009 has been the year where sickness, work and stress took its toll.

-Brush up on some neglected Kata, in particular Seisan.

-Get a better hang of the new Jujutsu curriculum. Also I should use the opportunity to try and grade as it is over two years since last time. I`ve grown a bit too comfortable at my current level.

-Become a better instructor.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes I need to add also that I really need to loose 70 lbs and man it is hard.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've been giving that some thought myself. Below are some of my goals.

1: Address whatever root issues plague my back. I'm starting with a chiropractor next week, but this once or twice per year cycle of throwing my lower back out, muscle spasms, painkillers and flexeril is old. I'm working on my flexibility, am down from 220-230 lbs to 180-185 now, am strong through my core and am doing everything the doctors say I should be, but still have chronic back pain and the occasional blowout (where I don't sleep for 2 weeks without heavy medication etc).

2: Train for and compete in the Pan Ams in April. Not sure whether I'll compete as an adult or in one of the older age groups. I could compete in Adults, Masters or even Senior I if I want. My only concern is whether I'll have anyone else in my bracket. I don't want to spend the money to travel to Irvine only to have one other dude in my bracket. :)

3: Lower my everyday weight about 5-7 more lbs down to about 175 lbs. I hover between 181 and 183 right now. Getting below 180 is a barrier... whether mental or physical, I don't know. I just can't seem to break into the 170's. That's gonna change in 2010, even if I have to spend a week eating chicken breast, green veggies and drinking water. :)

Edit: Just to add, right now I compete usually in a 185 lbs bracket with guys who cut to that weight. If I can walk around at about 175, then losing 5 lbs over the course of a month or so to compete at 170 lbs shouldn't be difficult at all. I'm an average sized 185 lbs guy, but would be among the bigger 170 lbs-ers. And who knows? I might even have a six pack for the beach!

4: Long shot, but my goal is to earn my purple belt in BJJ next year. I think that if I train hard, it's an outside possibility. Of course, I have little say about that. There is no testing and usually no warning. You just get it when you get it. But it's a goal.

Latest Discussions