Will The "Real" Kenpo Please Step Forward

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh man, i havnt let myself think about in-and-out for years, now i cant STOp thinking about them.

Thats it, I am sellign all my worldly good, shaving my head and moving to Cali.

prof Bishop, If i show up and offer to be your live in apprentice, can I learn kaju and eat in-and-out?

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oh man, i havnt let myself think about in-and-out for years, now i cant STOp thinking about them.

Thats it, I am sellign all my worldly good, shaving my head and moving to Cali.

prof Bishop, If i show up and offer to be your live in apprentice, can I learn kaju and eat in-and-out?

"In and Out" is 2 blocks away. Got to drive past it to and from the school.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

oh man.....

seriously though, you guys need to tell Sijo that kaju needs to expand in texas

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many people trained with Mr. Parker. Some may have trained directly with him longer than others have. You have many people who teach their version of Kenpo. You also have many people running around speaking ill of those that do their Kenpo different than the next guy. So as an example. You could have a student of one teacher running around saying that unless you trained with instructor A, you don't have Kenpo the way it should be taught. People will post video clips of someone doing a kata or technique and pretty much bash the hell out of it, because its 'different' from what they do.

So, in your opinion, is there a 'real' Kenpo? Is there one method or teacher that is teaching the 'real deal' while everyone else is handing out a watered down version?

Usually I like to say that there are many different branches of the Kenpo tree, so just because something may look a little different, doesnt necessarily mean that its wrong.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? :)
In truth, everyone does a watered down version of what everyone else does. We are all masters of exactly what we do, just not what you do.
Sean

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
And we don't want to even get into KFC. (Extra crisp please) :)

You guys got M and M's down there, with some serious soul food (I used to hit the one in Pas, off the fwy at Lake...Washington, I think, but not sure...I can drive straight to it, even if I don't get the street names right). Why KFC?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One of my least painful experiences in LA was stopping at Jack In The Box at 2am after class and getting the greasiest burger on the menu. It was the only thing open between the school and my hotel ;)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my least painful experiences in LA was stopping at Jack In The Box at 2am after class and getting the greasiest burger on the menu. It was the only thing open between the school and my hotel ;)

First you must have had a bad cook, cause JNB doesn't have any greasy food, (anymore). And second because you didn't know the area, there was everything from Carls Jr. to Denny's open for some decent food. Next time I'm going to take you over to Lucille's, Woody's, or Joey's for some Q and watch your mouth drop. None of that good stuff is in Nebraska dog.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting analogy... but I've been following this thread because I know very little about Kenpo/Kempo, and I'd like to find out more; I know way more about fast food than I want (or need) to know!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well if Ed Parker started American Kenpo, then it follows that any Kenpo being taught by his direct successors would be the closest to "authentic" American Kenpo than others.

So, to research: which among Ed Parkers black belts were the ones he considered the best, and who are their direct descendants?
Perhaps to answer that question, if Ed never actually named favorites, then just research which of those black belts attained the highest ranks eventually.

Now if you're looking at Kenpo other than American, I have no clue how to answer that.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First you must have had a bad cook, cause JNB doesn't have any greasy food, (anymore). And second because you didn't know the area, there was everything from Carls Jr. to Denny's open for some decent food. Next time I'm going to take you over to Lucille's, Woody's, or Joey's for some Q and watch your mouth drop. None of that good stuff is in Nebraska dog.

Well, it was 2am I'm sure their best cooks were not on the job at that hour. JNB was directly on my route, and it's something we don;t have out here so it was a treat, grease and all :D

Is Lucille's BB King's spot? I did eat there, that was pretty good Memphis Style BBQ. Around here we are mostly influenced by the KC school of BBQ, but we aslo have some Texas style too. I've had California style BBQ, and there are some things y'all need to leave to the experts.

No good BBQ in Nebraska??? That is categorically untrue and anatomically unworkable (my "anatomical width" proves it)! I am marking my calendar, "6/11/2008 Doc was wrong" :p (this is where my middle daughter works http://www.amarillobbq.com/BBQ.aspx)

Next time you come here, and I am going to arrange it now for this singular purpose, I will make some ribs and some brisket for you and we'll see whose mouth drops brother! And maybe get in some kenpo too.

However I did concede that the LA cheeseburger was definitely perfected, for sure. That street-side stand we went to was on another level.

MarkC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not knocking on anyone's BBQ style, but if you've never tried it, North Carolina BBQ is something you owe it to yourself to try when opportunity arises. (At least Eastern NC BBQ)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it was 2am I'm sure their best cooks were not on the job at that hour. JNB was directly on my route, and it's something we don;t have out here so it was a treat, grease and all :D

Is Lucille's BB King's spot? I did eat there, that was pretty good Memphis Style BBQ. Around here we are mostly influenced by the KC school of BBQ, but we aslo have some Texas style too. I've had California style BBQ, and there are some things y'all need to leave to the experts.

No good BBQ in Nebraska??? That is categorically untrue and anatomically unworkable (my "anatomical width" proves it)! I am marking my calendar, "6/11/2008 Doc was wrong" :p (this is where my middle daughter works http://www.amarillobbq.com/BBQ.aspx)

Next time you come here, and I am going to arrange it now for this singular purpose, I will make some ribs and some brisket for you and we'll see whose mouth drops brother! And maybe get in some kenpo too.

However I did concede that the LA cheeseburger was definitely perfected, for sure. That street-side stand we went to was on another level.

Hope it is better than the Chinese food experiment you took me to. Remember I grew up in San Francisco and LA Chinatown hanging with the guys.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if Ed Parker started American Kenpo, then it follows that any Kenpo being taught by his direct successors would be the closest to "authentic" American Kenpo than others.

So, to research: which among Ed Parkers black belts were the ones he considered the best, and who are their direct descendants?
Perhaps to answer that question, if Ed never actually named favorites, then just research which of those black belts attained the highest ranks eventually.

Now if you're looking at Kenpo other than American, I have no clue how to answer that.
With all due respect to a mother, (and deference to the estrogen mafia of which I have several members in my own family), just how well did you know Mr. Parker?

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
? I never met the man, although I would have been honored to.
That's just my thought process on how to find out who is teaching "real" american Kenpo. That, and In N Out is still the best cheeseburger.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
? I never met the man, although I would have been honored to.
That's just my thought process on how to find out who is teaching "real" american Kenpo. That, and In N Out is still the best cheeseburger.

I'm sure Mr. Parker would have loved to meet you as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not knocking on anyone's BBQ style, but if you've never tried it, North Carolina BBQ is something you owe it to yourself to try when opportunity arises. (At least Eastern NC BBQ)
I think we need a MT/KT BBQ cookoff...

I'll humbly consent to be a judge, though I'm certain it will be an onerous burden... ;)

Latest Discussions