Good Kenpo

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now for the distance comment, well I agree with this statement in part, definately for someone of my rank. I need continued training. But to make that statement for all is just wrong. Mr. Bishop, no disrespect meant here whatsoever, but where is your instructor? (no need to really answer this question, just making a point) Are you not one of the top ranking Kaju guys in CA and the world for that matter. Do you live near your instructor? I doubt it, but no need, the point is, once a person reaches a certain level, I would not expect that they need to be living in the vicinity of their instructor.

My instructor since 1991 is Gary Forbach. He lives in Costa Mesa, Ca., and I live in Chino, Ca. We are about 35 miles apart, which in So. Cal is a pretty normal daily commute for most people. My instructor prior to him is about 2 miles from my house.
Yes, I am a 8th degree black belt in our system, but I still feel a need to have a active student/teacher relationship with a instructor that has knowledge and wisdom to pass on to me.
To me being a active lifetime student is just as important as being a lifetime instructor. That's why I feel the way I do about long distance student/teacher relationships.
Now if the long distance relationship is because life's circumstances has caused a longtime student and teacher to become geographically separated, then I see no problem with that. But in my case I would request that my student seek out a good instructor in his/her area to continue their technical growth in the arts.
If someone has a long distance connection with a instructor who they have really never had a long term "on the mat" relationship with, I have to question the purpose of the relationship. Since there is no long term face to face training being done, is the relationship just for promotions or to use the prestige of the connection?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually I agree with John Bishop about distance training as we've had this discussion many times. I've even started threads here about it and my negative experiences with it. I don't see how one could learn anything significant from a distance, expecially at the lower ranks given that everything is built upon basics and there is no way to get solid basics if there is no instructor there to correct you.

Although he can speak for himself, I do know that John sees his instructor Gm Forbach, pretty much every week since he only lives about an hour away.

I agree totally, at the lower ranks, below master level and I also see Mr. Bishop's point and he's lucky that, at his level, he is able to have that higher ranking person available.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My instructor since 1991 is Gary Forbach. He lives in Costa Mesa, Ca., and I live in Chino, Ca. We are about 35 miles apart, which in So. Cal is a pretty normal daily commute for most people. My instructor prior to him is about 2 miles from my house.
Yes, I am a 8th degree black belt in our system, but I still feel a need to have a active student/teacher relationship with a instructor that has knowledge and wisdom to pass on to me.
To me being a active lifetime student is just as important as being a lifetime instructor. That's why I feel the way I do about long distance student/teacher relationships.
Now if the long distance relationship is because life's circumstances has caused a longtime student and teacher to become geographically separated, then I see no problem with that. But in my case I would request that my student seek out a good instructor in his/her area to continue their technical growth in the arts.
If someone has a long distance connection with a instructor who they have really never had a long term "on the mat" relationship with, I have to question the purpose of the relationship. Since there is no long term face to face training being done, is the relationship just for promotions or to use the prestige of the connection?

Very lucky you are, at your rank to have a higher ranking person that close, that's fantastic ... not always is that available. Only point I was trying to make is that it is not viable as a blanket statement, there are circumstances where high ranking persons, such as yourself, could function at a high level without being next door to their instructor ... not the best situation, but can be done.

Now, at my level, it would be totally absurd to think I didn't need constant training or could learn via tape or phone discussions.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very lucky you are, at your rank to have a higher ranking person that close, that's fantastic ... not always is that available. Only point I was trying to make is that it is not viable as a blanket statement, there are circumstances where high ranking persons, such as yourself, could function at a high level without being next door to their instructor ... not the best situation, but can be done.

Now, at my level, it would be totally absurd to think I didn't need constant training or could learn via tape or phone discussions.

Actually, in So.Cal it's not hard to find high ranking high quality Kenpo or Kajukenbo instructors. Some of the top EPAK instructors in the world are here, and I can think of at least 6-7 Kajukenbo 9th degrees within a hours drive of me.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, in So.Cal it's not hard to find high ranking high quality Kenpo or Kajukenbo instructors. Some of the top EPAK instructors in the world are here, and I can think of at least 6-7 Kajukenbo 9th degrees within a hours drive of me.

OK, you're right, I'm wrong

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, you're right, I'm wrong

Some discussions are done better face to face. I'm getting the feeling that your taking this discussion as something negative between you and me. If that is the case, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
To me it's not about either one of us being right or wrong. We're both giving our opinions on the topic, and reasons those opinions are based on.
I really don't know you or your training circumstances. So nothing I wrote was directed at your personal situation, whatever it may be. I was just expressing my joy that being in So. Cal, I or anyone here has the good fortune to have so many good Kenpo and Kajukenbo instructors in the area.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some discussions are done better face to face. I'm getting the feeling that your taking this discussion as something negative between you and me. If that is the case, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
To me it's not about either one of us being right or wrong. We're both giving our opinions on the topic, and reasons those opinions are based on.
I really don't know you or your training circumstances. So nothing I wrote was directed at your personal situation, whatever it may be. I was just expressing my joy that being in So. Cal, I or anyone here has the good fortune to have so many good Kenpo and Kajukenbo instructors in the area.

No problem between you and I, and I didn't take it personally. I just have a different point of view, which is not a bad thing. I agree, having an instructor within range is the ultimate and yes, we have lots of options here in SoCal, we are lucky.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is both great and it sucks that so many top ken/mpo people and kajukenbo people are inSo,Cal. I am in Canada and my instructor is in Long Island. If i were single and without my children (Gd forbid) then i would move. However, being this far away forces me to acquire new material at a slower pace. Therefore i can focus on assimilating things better and constantly sharpening my basics and learning / going deeper into the material i already have from white to where i am now. it works well for me. i tell my students all the time that any advancement i have is due to them, because i make sure to learn and have an instructor in order for me to be comfortable teaching. otherwise i would stick with what i already have and work on it..it is certainly enough. I agree that at lower levels of experience, learning from a distance is not ideal and certainly ranking by video...for money....is well...for money. Considering my circumstances i think the best thing is to travel for quality instruction and not settle for what is convienient. Does it slow your advancenment yes, can your skill be increased, yes. It depends on your training.
training is truth

respectfully,
Marlon