Good Kenpo

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many newbies to the arts, may not know what to look for when it comes to finding a good instructor. Some just go in blind, others do their homework and some find a teacher, but after training for a while, talking to others, etc., soon realize that what they're training in really isn't as good as some other things out there, so their eyes are opened, and they move on to something else.

This question isn't so much from the beginners point of view, but for those who've been around a while. How can you tell if what you're looking at is good or bad Kenpo? What do you base your views on when you're watching a Kenpo instructor?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
first thing i always do when I meet a kenpo BB. Ask them to trace thier lineage back to Chow.

if they cant do that.....

oh, and if thier lineage mentions the name "Villari"............

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There should be a logical explaination behind what is being taught. Looking back, I am amazed at some of the explainations I was given at my early training days! :)

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
first thing i always do when I meet a kenpo BB. Ask them to trace thier lineage back to Chow.

What does lineage have to do with skill? Trust me i understand what you are saying and we don't need to start another of those threads. But do you honestly believe that every one Mr. Parker, Tracy, Emperado, Chow, Mitose trained turned out to be of great importance to Kempo today? In the same turn do you truely believe that everyone Pesare, Cerio, and Villari trained is someone who can't fight their way out of a paper bag?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure if i meet the qualifications to answer this question, but these are my two cents: i ask how long have you been training? and who is your instructor? Who is your instructors instructor? these three questions are really important, imho, and can tell quite a bit, although not everything
also, do they train with contact and how much..good kempo is up close and personal on both ends of the training
marlon

Last edited:

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Research gives you a place to start by narrowing the field of potential teachers. After that, go in and see what the workouts are like, pricing etc. Do they insist on long-term contracts etc.

If it looks like something you could master in six months, go somewhere else.

But beware of the "Grass is Greener" syndrome. Once the bloom is off the rose with what you've started studying (that is when the hard work replaces the initial awestruck feelings, and that initial rapid improvement has given way to slow, barely noticable progress), other arts can look pretty good to you when you see them in magazines or video. It isn't always the case and hopping around trying to find that "perfect" art to study isn't the best idea.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score

i Guess im not qaulified-- Be wary of the teachers that generalize everything and think they know everything

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

If they spend more time talking about "lineage" than about what and how they teach, that's a red flag.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they spend more time talking about "lineage" than about what and how they teach, that's a red flag.

Yea, a lot of guys go out of their way to hop, skip, and jump to more desirable lineages. There's a lot of people who claim to be students of instructors who live several thousands of miles from them. I don't know how much serious training a instructor gets from a few days a year visiting his instructor, or from phone calls and emails.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I don't care what he says. I just want to see how he moves. Then I run that observation through my prior real-world experience, and if it seems to me his stuff would work, I'm good with it.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There should be a logical explaination behind what is being taught. Looking back, I am amazed at some of the explainations I was given at my early training days! :)

Yes sir, how I can relate to that one. ;) I think if you and I sat down, we'd be able to write up quite the novel on some of our explainations. LOL!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not knowing your lineage is one of my pet peeves. Kenpo History is so robust, and so RECENT that I think every descendant of Chow should know it. There is no excuse not to, since it is all out there.

Plus, if i know thier lineage , it gives me a better idea what thier kenpo SHOULD look like.

But, since i think you are wanting a technical judgment of "good kenpo" I will go with "do thier techniques FLOW in a logical method, demonstrating good self defense principals."

oh, and the Villari thing? that was a joke, my emoticon didnt show up. Sorry. And now it wont let me edit it....

What does lineage have to do with skill? Trust me i understand what you are saying and we don't need to start another of those threads. But do you honestly believe that every one Mr. Parker, Tracy, Emperado, Chow, Mitose trained turned out to be of great importance to Kempo today? In the same turn do you truely believe that everyone Pesare, Cerio, and Villari trained is someone who can't fight their way out of a paper bag?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
oh, and the Villari thing? that was a joke, my emoticon didnt show up. Sorry. And now it wont let me edit it....
Oh, man, that's the worst feeling in the world. :uhyeah:

Kinda like having the in-laws over, and the dog starts letting go with the *silent but deadlies*, but everyone's looking at you. :uhohh:

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no art that teaches itself. They all require a good instructor. I would rather train under an excellent TKD instructor than a crappy Kyokushinkai instructor. The first and most important thing you need to look at is the instructor. We all know that there are good fighters from every system out there. We also know that even a lousy instructor can have one talented student that makes him look good despite his lack of ability to teach. But when someone consistantly puts out good solid students, then you know you've found the right person. I'm not saying that all his students will be Bill Wallace or Joe Lewis etc., but if you visit enough schools, you'll get a feel for who's good and who's not. If you are fortunate enough to live near more than one good instructor, then you can look at the style that suits you the best (and other factors like cost etc.) to make your choice.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe that we should all abstain from using 'blanket statements' such as; anybody with Villari in his/her lineage; anybody with an instructor that lives thousands of miles away, etc. Why? Cause as Dan stated, there is the chance that there are good fighters under bad instructors, for one. Another point is that although some business practices may be questionable, that does not mean the person can't teach. Now for the distance comment, well I agree with this statement in part, definately for someone of my rank. I need continued training. But to make that statement for all is just wrong. Mr. Bishop, no disrespect meant here whatsoever, but where is your instructor? (no need to really answer this question, just making a point) Are you not one of the top ranking Kaju guys in CA and the world for that matter. Do you live near your instructor? I doubt it, but no need, the point is, once a person reaches a certain level, I would not expect that they need to be living in the vicinity of their instructor. Your student, Dan, makes a great point. Look at the instructor, look at and talk to his/her students. If something doesn't seem right, either make the choice to not return, or do a little research and see if what was said holds true. If you aren't comfortable with an instructor, I suggest you move on, simple as that. JMHO

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that we should all abstain from using 'blanket statements' such as; anybody with Villari in his/her lineage; anybody with an instructor that lives thousands of miles away, etc. Why? Cause as Dan stated, there is the chance that there are good fighters under bad instructors, for one. Another point is that although some business practices may be questionable, that does not mean the person can't teach. Now for the distance comment, well I agree with this statement in part, definately for someone of my rank. I need continued training. But to make that statement for all is just wrong. Mr. Bishop, no disrespect meant here whatsoever, but where is your instructor? (no need to really answer this question, just making a point) Are you not one of the top ranking Kaju guys in CA and the world for that matter. Do you live near your instructor? I doubt it, but no need, the point is, once a person reaches a certain level, I would not expect that they need to be living in the vicinity of their instructor. Your student, Dan, makes a great point. Look at the instructor, look at and talk to his/her students. If something doesn't seem right, either make the choice to not return, or do a little research and see if what was said holds true. If you aren't comfortable with an instructor, I suggest you move on, simple as that. JMHO

Actually I agree with John Bishop about distance training as we've had this discussion many times. I've even started threads here about it and my negative experiences with it. I don't see how one could learn anything significant from a distance, expecially at the lower ranks given that everything is built upon basics and there is no way to get solid basics if there is no instructor there to correct you.

Although he can speak for himself, I do know that John sees his instructor Gm Forbach, pretty much every week since he only lives about an hour away.

Latest Discussions