Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've not checked but I'm pretty sure I said much the same grappling as judo
No.

Which is the mistake a lot of people make.

You think you are doing the same thing because they have the same names. But you really are not doing the same thing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No.

You think you are doing the same thing because they have the same names. But you really are not doing the same thing.
I've no idea if they have the same name, I make no attempt to learn the names, but I have done both judo and juijitsu and they are very much the same technques beibg applied, it's a lot closer to the juijitsu I learnt that the sports judo I did, but much the same throws and holds as both, largely as they come from the same route and there only so many was to put someone on the floor, I suspect

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and who to say your isnt, as it is you keep fabricating facts, when all your offering is opinions

I am pretty sure out of the two of us. I am the only person who has shown my grappling and striking sparring.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've no idea if they have the same name, I make no attempt to learn the names, but I have done both judo and juijitsu and they are very much the same technques beibg applied, it's a lot closer to the juijitsu I learnt that the sports judo I did, but much the same throws and holds as both, largely as they come from the same route and there only so many was to put someone on the floor, I suspect

You are almost certainly not doing the technique with the same depth as a decent judoka.

There is a lot of back of house that makes the techniques work against anyone any good.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am pretty sure out of the two of us. I am the only person who has shown my grappling and striking sparring.
that's not realy relivant to the point, your sparring may be real, who knows, but you opinion that it proves you can fight better than others, is bogus

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are almost certainly not doing the technique with the same depth as a decent judoka.

There is a lot of back of house that makes the techniques work against anyone any good.
is that another opinion, how can you possibly know the depth and why would greater depth make them better, they either work or they dont, and what exactly is a " decent judoka" and I'm not slightly concern if they work against anyone " good", and what does " good" entail?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's not realy relivant to the point, your sparring may be real, who knows, but you opinion that it proves you can fight better than others, is bogus

It proves I am not making stuff up. Which is the point.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
is that another opinion, how can you possibly know the depth and why would greater depth make them better, they either work or they dont, and what exactly is a " decent judoka" and I'm not slightly concern if they work against anyone " good", and what does " good" entail?
You are also posting opinion. So there is no need to use a fact. There is nothing to use a fact on. You say you are the boss at karate throws. I say you are not. It evens out.

The give away is that you don't understand the difference between a judokas throw and your own.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No.

I think you can make the argument that boxing has seen some fresh development from MMA, I especially like the practice of striking while withdrawing from the opponent that Liddell seems to have started or at least showcased. George St. Pierre came from a Karate background though and he's one of the best fighters of all time. We can update training methods to focus on more practical exercises than rote katas, but I would not say that Karate is an obsolete or impractical striking art.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are also posting opinion. So there is no need to use a fact. There is nothing to use a fact on. You say you are the boss at karate throws. I say you are not. It evens out.

The give away is that you don't understand the difference between a judokas throw and your own.
the differance is not not dressing up m opinion as facts, I didnt say I was boss, I said I have little trouble putting big guys on the ground, that is so far factua, there may come a day when it's not so easy

you can of course choose to believe that or not, it doednt honestly make any differance to if I can do so or not or if I care what you think or not

so fact karate contains throws

opinion, I think they are extremly effective

now you try splitting opinion and fact, let's see if you can do it or not, my money is on not

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the differance is not not dressing up m opinion as facts, I didnt say I was boss, I said I have little trouble putting big guys on the ground, that is so far factua, there may come a day when it's not so easy

you can of course choose to believe that or not, it doednt honestly make any differance to if I can do so or not or if I care what you think or not

so fact karate contains throws

opinion, I think they are extremly effective

now you try splitting opinion and fact, let's see if you can do it or not, my money is on not

Ok. Karate contains throws, fact.

You have no evidence to support that those throws are comparable to judo, fact.

You are making up stories of how effective you are, opinion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you can make the argument that boxing has seen some fresh development from MMA, I especially like the practice of striking while withdrawing from the opponent that Liddell seems to have started or at least showcased. George St. Pierre came from a Karate background though and he's one of the best fighters of all time. We can update training methods to focus on more practical exercises than rote katas, but I would not say that Karate is an obsolete or impractical striking art.

Karate that uses modern striking methods tends to work a lot better than karate that doesn't.

Gsp for example flies in top Thai guys to spar with.

Shatteredzen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Karate that uses modern striking methods tends to work a lot better than karate that doesn't.

Yes, but GSP did not start with Muay Thai until he was already a world class fighter, he came into MMA as a BJJ/Karate guy.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I can't speak for all karate but I do know that when Sosai Mas Oyama was initially spreading Kyokushin he approached some top level Judoka Sensei to join. My understanding is he was quite successful in attracting them and I expect that they would have taught the same Judo techniques as part of the Kyokushin syllabus. Shihan Jon Bluming would be one of the best examples I can think of at the top of my head. Shihan Bluming is also a pioneer of blending striking with grappling.

Makes sense to me that GSP would fly in top Thai guys so he could better study the striking of his opponents.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

we clearly they are comparable as i compared them, ( and so did you ), that what the word means ..fact

( nb that makes your FACT an opinion, please edit your post accordingly)

as are you opinion

Last edited:

Latest Discussions