Why is their so much disrespect for Karate? And what can we do to stop it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judo has over 100 grappling techniques, 67 of which are nage waza. You're saying you learned that many through karate?
Wado Ryu karate includes throws and grappling as the founder was also a Jujutsu master.

angelariz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing karate for some time now and I was wondering why there's so much disrespect for this martial art. I dont understand that I cant talk about Karate casually without getting that awkward look. I mean people practice wrestling and their practically praised for it. I mean I'll be in a group setting and someone will ask "So play any sports?" I dont wanna say anything because when I do I get that awkward look, but then again I dont wanna lie
Honestly, good Karate is on par with a y other art except Grappling arts. The biggest problem is the Mc dojo pay for black belt factories. They are easy to market and skill isnt important to Mcdojos.
You do hundreds of hours of Kata and zero randori or realistic fighting. Lots of 13 year old black belts that can't do a form to save their lives gives Karate the bad rap.

angelariz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bruises, black eyes and running into training partners in social settings are all scenarios I've encountered that make it impossible to keep it a secret. I've even had friends flat out ask me if I have trained in anything.
Rule #1 about fight club...don't talk about fight club

Hehehe