Why do people think grappling arts always beat striking arts?

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best anti grappling technique in the world. Tap.

Why is anti grappling even a term? We don't call blocking "anti striking". All anti grappling techniques are ironically grappling maneuvers.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
So he exposed to it but it didn't take it traditionally? Either way seemed to work out for him.

How about mark hunt?

Mark Hunt is a bjj brown belt. Don't know under who but I know he did ATT and Gracie Barra for years.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why is anti grappling even a term? We don't call blocking "anti striking". All anti grappling techniques are ironically grappling maneuvers.

Basically it is used to define how you defend to remove that element rather than engage in it.

So anti striking would technically be takedowns. Because you are not blocking to return strikes.

We do anti jujitsu under that idea. Where we defend submissions but don't really try to apply them back.

Look it defines a concept that is important so I don't have an issue with it.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I really don't get the premise of this thread. The last time that pure strikers fought pure grapplers in the UFC was over 20 years ago. That just doesn't happen anymore. Others have noted that there are some really good strikers these days in the UFC getting knockouts, etc. and that is true. However, there still a bunch of guys getting submissions also, and many of the guys who are known as strikers are also BJJ blackbelts, like Anderson Silva. All of them train both striking and grappling, and those who pretty much avoided it like Conor McGregor, are training the heck out of it now.

Last edited:

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I see this a lot lately and most of it does come from the mixed martial arts, UFC fan base and to be honest. (Not referring to this forum) I am getting very tired of it, yeah I get the gracie's have their videos of them beating people from multiple styles. Then they use that as some form of crucible that bjj is the best thing ever and everything sucks in comparison.

When in reality what the videos prove is that, hey this family is very talented at what they do. Good for them, in fact that is a very great thing for them, but even they lose sometimes.

I will admit when I had to just wrestle with friends, meaning no striking. I did terrible, then they would say oh what happened to your kenpo? My response was ok want to spar then? They immediately said no which of course was because they don't want to get hit.

People are more prone to wanting to try wrestling arts compared to something where you strike eachother for this reason it seems. Then I got into higher belts in kenpo and they started showing us Judo, and my hate for grappling, or rather dislike for being in such close contact (hugging and rolling) with others went away.

I then realized that I like both, in fact I love them both, I have my preferences sure. I prefer to punch lock and elbow but that moment I tossed someone to the ground for the first time I thought to myself "whoa! I did that!?" Then the Sihing smacked me for standing there dumbfounded and ordered me to do the rest of the technique.

Anyway I had a little too much of my medication so thats why this is long winded. My point is I guess the grappler does not have some rock paper scissors advantage, just because he or she is a grappler. In fact they might be at a disadvantage vs a very talented striker becuase after all, you have to close that gap to grab them and be quick enough to grab a limb.

It is also risky as you can take a mean hit to the face, ribs ect when you are trying to land that grab or takedown. So because of this inherit disadvantage of reach, and after all, it can only take a few or even one good hit to the head and you are done. Why all this attitude of grappling art is better than a striking art?

It is a case of ignorance?
I prefer to grapple cause I am 5'10" and I have the legs of someone who is 5'5". I have no real talent at punching. As for if one is better then the other it just depends like all things. I think it's because people like injuries and grappling has a better chance of that to be the outcome. It feeds that inner blood lust in us all.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I prefer to grapple cause I am 5'10" and I have the legs of someone who is 5'5". I have no real talent at punching. As for if one is better then the other it just depends like all things. I think it's because people like injuries and grappling has a better chance of that to be the outcome. It feeds that inner blood lust in us all.

I would say striking sparring has more chances to get hurt. Grappling you can always tap if you feel it's too much for you.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I see this a lot lately and most of it does come from the mixed martial arts, UFC fan base and to be honest. (Not referring to this forum) I am getting very tired of it, yeah I get the gracie's have their videos of them beating people from multiple styles. Then they use that as some form of crucible that bjj is the best thing ever and everything sucks in comparison.

When in reality what the videos prove is that, hey this family is very talented at what they do. Good for them, in fact that is a very great thing for them, but even they lose sometimes.

I will admit when I had to just wrestle with friends, meaning no striking. I did terrible, then they would say oh what happened to your kenpo? My response was ok want to spar then? They immediately said no which of course was because they don't want to get hit.

People are more prone to wanting to try wrestling arts compared to something where you strike eachother for this reason it seems. Then I got into higher belts in kenpo and they started showing us Judo, and my hate for grappling, or rather dislike for being in such close contact (hugging and rolling) with others went away.

I then realized that I like both, in fact I love them both, I have my preferences sure. I prefer to punch lock and elbow but that moment I tossed someone to the ground for the first time I thought to myself "whoa! I did that!?" Then the Sihing smacked me for standing there dumbfounded and ordered me to do the rest of the technique.

Anyway I had a little too much of my medication so thats why this is long winded. My point is I guess the grappler does not have some rock paper scissors advantage, just because he or she is a grappler. In fact they might be at a disadvantage vs a very talented striker becuase after all, you have to close that gap to grab them and be quick enough to grab a limb.

It is also risky as you can take a mean hit to the face, ribs ect when you are trying to land that grab or takedown. So because of this inherit disadvantage of reach, and after all, it can only take a few or even one good hit to the head and you are done. Why all this attitude of grappling art is better than a striking art?

It is a case of ignorance?

Some people do better than other people. Take Holly Holm for the most part her striking and footwork is better than most people to keep grappler away from her.

But if she was fighting on a city bus or in an elevator Ronda Rousey may win. As much of her game plan would have to be really different.

Some people just take the pushes and kicks and grab you!! And if you just standing there not moving way it makes it even easier for the grapplers. It just that Holly Holm is really good at always moving away. So Ronda Rousey is chasing her all the time and taking the pushes and kicks.

Other people not good at moving away and make it easier for the grapplers.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say striking sparring has more chances to get hurt. Grappling you can always tap if you feel it's too much for you.

It is a lot harder to cripple someone striking.

You get two people's body weight roll the wrong way on a knee and you are not getting woken up. You are going to hospital.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a lot harder to cripple someone striking.

You get two people's body weight roll the wrong way on a knee and you are not getting woken up. You are going to hospital.
It doesn't have to be a crippling injury like that however but injury in general. The rate of concussions, both the stereotypical and Concussions & Repeated Minor Head Traumas
Bruised ribs and just contusions overall are also not uncommon. However the "crippling" injuries as you note them while more common in grappling are less common that the "typical" MA injuries.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree!

You

- can take your opponent down 100 times daily.
- can't knock your opponent down 100 times daily.

It's much

- easier for a grappler to accumulate his true experience.
- difficult for a striker to accumulate his true experience unless you count "point sparring" as true experience..

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a crippling injury like that however but injury in general. The rate of concussions, both the stereotypical and Concussions & Repeated Minor Head Traumas
Bruised ribs and just contusions overall are also not uncommon. However the "crippling" injuries as you note them while more common in grappling are less common that the "typical" MA injuries.

Yeah but having your shoulder dislocated or knee wrecked is a lot more devastating at the time. Generally.

(i do habe a mate got punched so hard it really messed him up. And another who broke his leg shin kicking a dude. )

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah but having your shoulder dislocated or knee wrecked is a lot more devastating at the time. Generally.

(i do habe a mate got punched so hard it really messed him up. And another who broke his leg shin kicking a dude. )
Again no one is questioning the potential for crippling injuries. Where I study we do not do point sparing, especially with weapons. You GO for 30 seconds...break for 15...go for 30 etc. (It's also done as sort of conditioning.) I have walked out with fists looking like boxing fractures because a lucky training knife strike got me between the pads at the knuckles, bruised clavicles from overhead strikes etc. (The only protection we use is head/eye, hands and forearms. It even gets to grappling sometimes, on the weapon side. if you lose a weapon, you don't pick it up, to dangerous, so you try to get the other guy's.

Regardless these arent not crippling injuries but after every sparring class someone is nursing something as we head to the parking lot.

Last edited:

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you train the throwing art, you should consider your body as a "bouncing ball" that can bounce back up from the ground without even use your hands.

That's good ukemi, good breakfall. You don't even have to bounce, you should be able to do yoko kaiten, and roll up.

You can also do much, much softer falls. The hard fall that Judo and jujutsu players like has a finite limit. You talk to the guys that are in their 70's and they will tell you that you cannot do this forever.....

This is much, much easier on the body, while still allowing you to do a high fall.

Latest Discussions