Why do people think grappling arts always beat striking arts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's good ukemi, good breakfall. You don't even have to bounce, you should be able to do yoko kaiten, and roll up.

You can also do much, much softer falls. The hard fall that Judo and jujutsu players like has a finite limit. You talk to the guys that are in their 70's and they will tell you that you cannot do this forever.....

This is much, much easier on the body, while still allowing you to do a high fall.

It is dependent on the throw.

There are a few front ones that will make it worse if you roll.
And some you just can't.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is dependent on the throw.

There are a few front ones that will make it worse if you roll.
And some you just can't.
Here is a good example. When your opponent holds on one of your legs and horse back kick your other leg off the ground, you will fall like an airplane crash into the ground with head first.

inner_block.jpg

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Of course, sometimes you are not given a choice, but learning soft high falls can definitely allow you to practice until you are much much older. It's the same with Isoyama Shihans version of Kata Guruma. It's going to be a hard fall.....there's no choice, but when you can, it's good learn soft fall techniques too.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If grappling really did beat striking than everybody would be doing it. The grappling arts would be what people would take up if they wanted to learn martial arts and the schools that taught striking arts would not have any students and would have no business. But as we know the striking arts are alive and well today with lots of students so that goes to show you that its not the art its the person doing it that is the determining factor as to its effectiveness.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
If grappling really did beat striking than everybody would be doing it. The grappling arts would be what people would take up if they wanted to learn martial arts and the schools that taught striking arts would not have any students and would have no business. But as we know the striking arts are alive and well today with lots of students so that goes to show you that its not the art its the person doing it that is the determining factor as to its effectiveness.

I understand where you are coming from, but I would argue that people simply don't know what they don't know, so popularity is probably not a good measure of effectiveness. Plus, grappling is hard, really hard. It's physically exhausting, and frustrating as all get out, particularly in the beginning. Because of that, many people are simply not going to join, or stick it out even if they do.

Grappling is also much less available than striking for most people. I live in a pretty large city, and there are 5 BJJ schools and 2 Judo clubs in a city of 1.3 million people. There are about 60 TKD schools, 7 Karate schools, and 5 Kung Fu/JKD schools. That doesn't count MT and Boxing, and there are several of those as well. I suspect most cities have a similar proportion.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say striking sparring has more chances to get hurt. Grappling you can always tap if you feel it's too much for you.

I would agree with that to a point, but I would add the stipulation that you have a good training partner, and you are experienced enough to know when it is coming on. For example, there is a particular blue belt in the place where I train Jiu-Jitsu currently that is a really good guy, but also pretty strong, and who doesn't have very good control. I've rolled with him twice, and the first time I got kicked in the face when he tried to put an arm bar on me too quickly and couldn't get his leg all the way around. The second time, he put a different arm bar on me from guard, and darn near hyperextended my elbow before I could tap.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't agree that grappling is more difficult. Maybe when it comes to stamina for sure but striking brings on a whole new type of hassles. Try walking around with bruises and aches all the time on your body. A couple of people think I get in bar fights often.

I guess grappling is more exhausting while striking is more painful. Yesterday we had to get hit in the stomach several times while kiaing to practice body conditioning.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, but I would argue that people simply don't know what they don't know, so popularity is probably not a good measure of effectiveness. Plus, grappling is hard, really hard. It's physically exhausting, and frustrating as all get out, particularly in the beginning. Because of that, many people are simply not going to join, or stick it out even if they do.

Grappling is also much less available than striking for most people. I live in a pretty large city, and there are 5 BJJ schools and 2 Judo clubs in a city of 1.3 million people. There are about 60 TKD schools, 7 Karate schools, and 5 Kung Fu/JKD schools. That doesn't count MT and Boxing, and there are several of those as well. I suspect most cities have a similar proportion.

Today its common knowledge about the effectiveness of the grappling arts. What with all the rage of the Gracie system and of grappling for the last few decades most people would've at least heard of how good the grappling arts are, even the non martial artists. Grappling is hard but so is striking. With grappling you've got to have stamina but with striking you have to have coordination, speed, and precision. Also striking also involves being able to take hits so you do take lots of punishment. For that reason somebody might take up grappling instead of striking, they don't want to be hit as much. With some of the grappling arts such as Judo you can get slammed but there are those arts which focus mostly on mat work such as the Gracie style.

And concerning the availability of grappling, if there was a bigger demand for grappling there would be more availability. Perhaps one of the reasons its less available than striking arts is that its demand isn't as high. If there were more people wanting to do grappling arts it makes sense more schools would open up that teach it.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yesterday we had to get hit in the stomach several times while kiaing to practice body conditioning.

That sounds like a good exercise but you need a partner to do it. I've been thinking of designing a system where I can do it without a partner, dropping a kettle bell from a pully in my stomach while lying on my back might work.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't agree that grappling is more difficult. Maybe when it comes to stamina for sure but striking brings on a whole new type of hassles. Try walking around with bruises and aches all the time on your body. A couple of people think I get in bar fights often.

I guess grappling is more exhausting while striking is more painful. Yesterday we had to get hit in the stomach several times while kiaing to practice body conditioning.

Disagree...it's a different type of pain. I've boxed, trained in TKD and Karate and other striking arts......never had as much pain as being put into different locks.

Black Belt Magazine even just recently published this....

A Lesson in Pain Management! What Karate Stylists Can Learn From Aikido Stylists – - Black Belt

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

A lot of us do both.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A lot of us do both.

Or have done both. I started with striking arts, and can still strike pretty well if needed, but I find the grappling arts more difficult, nuanced, and harder, both physically and mentally. That's MY opinion though, I'm sure many others think and feel the opposite.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't agree that grappling is more difficult.
Between hip throw and jab, which technique is harder to learn?

A hip throw will require that your

- right foot land in front of your opponent's right foot,
- left foot land in front of his left foot,
- one arm wrap around his arm,
- one arm wrap around his waist.
- use your hip to bounce his body off the ground,
- pull his body over your back, and
- throw him in front of you.

A jab is much simpler than that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or have done both. I started with striking arts, and can still strike pretty well if needed, but I find the grappling arts more difficult, nuanced, and harder, both physically and mentally. That's MY opinion though, I'm sure many others think and feel the opposite.

Yeah. With us we have this small issue of being sat on and beat up. So i really want to win the grapple.

If you loose a striking exchange you take a step sideways and recover. Or collapse. Which is not as bad.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. With us we have this small issue of being sat on and beat up. So i really want to win the grapple.

If you loose a striking exchange you take a step sideways and recover. Or collapse. Which is not as bad.

Or get knocked out which is bad.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Between hip throw and jab, which technique is harder to learn?

A hip throw will require that your

- right foot land in front of your opponent's right foot,
- left foot land in front of his left foot,
- one arm wrap around his arm,
- one arm wrap around his waist.
- use your hip to bounce his body off the ground,
- pull his body over your back, and
- throw him in front of you.

A jab is much simpler than that.

I didn't say more difficult to learn. I am saying they are different when it comes difficulty training in them. Grappling is very taxing on your stamina while striking is very taxing on your body. You can only get punched and kicked so many times before your body simply can't handle anymore, however you can grapple for hours so long as you have the stamina for it.