Why do people not understand

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just writing this because I get it at least twice a month, people saying or asking me if I am WTF certified or they are WTF certified? I guess I just don't get it the WTF sets the rules for Olympic sparring and competition poomsae, they absolutely do not do any type of Black Belt certification. That is done by the KKW, now except I have missed something over the last twenty years and this has changed.

Why can't people just say the right thing and not argue about this, WTF does not issue BB to anyone. The KKW does and a few other orgs but the KKW is the main source for Olympic TKD.

Sorry off of my soapbox but it just drives me crazy when people say they are WTF certified BB's.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of people probably still think you have to register your hands--or in your case, feet--as deadly weapons. They just don't know.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
its no better over here terry. I am constantly asked whether Im an "itf or wtf" black belt. I have a friend who is a second dan "wtf" black belt and I honestly dont think he would know what the kkw even is.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
its no better over here terry. I am constantly asked whether Im an "itf or wtf" black belt. I have a friend who is a second dan "wtf" black belt and I honestly dont think he would know what the kkw even is.

But Ralph that is my problem they cannot be a WTF BB, the WTF does not issue certificates? Guess I am still angry over people way of talking.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of people probably still think you have to register your hands--or in your case, feet--as deadly weapons. They just don't know.

Arni we have a school here in Grand Prairie that tells there people at brown belt she has to take there finger prints and send it off to the CIA for record keeping, because now they are a lethal weapon. My GOD what people believe.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
But Ralph that is my problem they cannot be a WTF BB, the WTF does not issue certificates? Guess I am still angry over people way of talking.
I agree totally terry and it frustrates me to no end. I am not a kkw blackbelt yet I know there is no such thing as a wtf blackbelt, so I can never understand that someone who is actually in that system just cant understand.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been running the school since 1988. Aside from those who trained in the same org and were looking to stay with the same system when the located to my area for school, work, vacation or whatever, with possibly a single exception I never had a prospective student ask or their parenst ask about organizations.

As a general rule they don't know enough to ask let alone understand any distinctions.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am just writing this because I get it at least twice a month, people saying or asking me if I am WTF certified or they are WTF certified? I guess I just don't get it the WTF sets the rules for Olympic sparring and competition poomsae, they absolutely do not do any type of Black Belt certification. That is done by the KKW, now except I have missed something over the last twenty years and this has changed.

Why can't people just say the right thing and not argue about this, WTF does not issue BB to anyone. The KKW does and a few other orgs but the KKW is the main source for Olympic TKD.

Sorry off of my soapbox but it just drives me crazy when people say they are WTF certified BB's.

You can't expect the general public in America to have any inkling about who does what with regards to Taekwon-Do. If you're dealing with people who have no first hand knowledge of KKW TKD you're lucky they even know the initials WTF stand for anything except internet shorthand. If you're dealing with people who do TKD already then I'm still not surprised. I know more than one KKW instructor who has referred to himself as a "WTF black belt." You can find web sites of people who are KKW certified referring to "WTF Taekwondo," too.

Heck, for years Kim Un Yong ran the entire TKD show in SK so there was little, in anything, that served to seperate those two bodies. Sure they had distinct roles even then, but it was all run by the same man so it's udnerstandable that people viewed them as one big entity (and you can see from the troubles they have had relating to each other since Kim, Un Yong got removed from office, arrested, and jailed that this wasn't entirely a misplaced view, IMO).

In all honesty it will be years, if ever, before people use the correct terms when referring to those organizations and that is, largely, their own fault. That being said, there's plenty of better things to be annoyed about :)

Pax,

Chris

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Been running the school since 1988. Aside from those who trained in the same org and were looking to stay with the same system when the located to my area for school, work, vacation or whatever, with possibly a single exception I never had a prospective student ask or their parenst ask about organizations.

As a general rule they don't know enough to ask let alone understand any distinctions.
Quite true. I train with some third or fourth dans who would not what itf, kkw, wtf etc even mean. Unless you do some research on the net or hang out on forums you just wouldnt know. As Ive said before, my previous instructor (sixth dan) once asked me "whats a kukkiwon?", and he was deadly serious.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes guys but these are not parents or perspective students, these are BB's from other school looking to come to me for training, they have a KKW BB and should know better.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arni we have a school here in Grand Prairie that tells there people at brown belt she has to take there finger prints and send it off to the CIA for record keeping, because now they are a lethal weapon. My GOD what people believe.

I guess if they don't even know that the CIA is not allowed to operate within the US (legally) they're probably not going to realise just how stupid this is.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps a better question. Why does there need to be 2 organizations?

Can you compete as a BB in a WTF event it you are not a KKW BB?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps a better question. Why does there need to be 2 organizations?

Can you compete as a BB in a WTF event it you are not a KKW BB?

Yes and No, the US open you can and it is a rated WTF event but in some othe international event you have top be KKW certified.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

What would you guess is the real reason for taking fingerprints? Simply marketing, in order to justify high fee costs, or something else?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding Me.
Good lord.

Is this after They buy the $200 wristband as a warning to the general populous that They are a dangerous fighter, and that They shouldnt be messed with for fear of a lethal outcome?
And instead of Beginners, do They have less experienced experts in the words most lethal and effective street combat disciplines, like all the ads Google plops on the side of Martialtalk claim? :)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To me it's an indicator of smoke and mirrors. At a tournament this summer a 4th dan in his 50's told me how proud he was that the people in his organization earned real, certified WTF black belts. I kept a straight face and praised his commitment to training. Afterward I asked some of my seniors about it, and I was told that everyone in that organization 'drinks the same Kool-Aid' the grandmaster feeds them. They do their own events and actively discourage (i.e. blackball) associating with us outsiders.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, guys.
I'm getting plenty of anecdotes to laugh about when the subject comes up around here.
Damn, Terry is complaining about that! I wish I had so many funny stories to tell! :D