• Looked like a cool place to be

• I was looking for info

• Don't really know

Results are only viewable after voting.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I joined MT because it's the only thing I could do before Navarre :)

Just kidding!

I was new to MA and I'd scoured the web for for days before deciding that MT had the smarts and resources for such a one as me. It was, as the tagline says, 'Fun and Friendly Discussion'.

I've looked at other forums since joining and, still, there's none better.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I came across a link for it while searching out WV martial arts schools. I quickly pulled up a chair and made myself at home. This is the best site in the world (and I honestly mean that).

OnlyAnEgg said:
I joined MT because it's the only thing I could do before Navarre :)

Hey, you still got me beat in total number of posts, buddy! Granted the wit and insight of my posts is off the charts but I applaude your efforts.

Now...about that "Mentor" thing...

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Granted the wit and insight of my posts is off the charts but I applaude your efforts.

Which explains your higher rep; which, of course, I kowtow before...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This site was referenced by someone with a respectable reputation on another board who is also a member here. I looked around, liked the diversity of the forums and the friendliness that was shared by the majority of the posters. VERY unusual for a MA board. The lack of flaming that is the norm on most other boards became apparent quickly.

I stayed because this is truly the only board I've ever been on for any interest that doesn't revolve around "the clique". I can't stand "clique".

Oh and the mod pension plan is second to none. :rolleyes:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been on various martial arts forums and lists for years, starting on usenet quite a few years back.

Eventually ended up here.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I can learn something from someone....I will.
I registered and lurked around reading everything I could. Funny though, something was missing. Politics! Just recently started posting myself though. This feels like someplace I can express and opinion without getting flamed (at east, too bad) and not have to worry about sounding like an idiot.

Respects,
Frank

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Henderson and Gemini, you both made good points. I think maybe the politics and clique atmosphere is very low here because there is such diversity of martial arts.

I've been on local boards for comic books and such where the majority of members know each other IRL. This creates a tight clique that one can't really be integrated in through the internet.

Martial artists are passionate about The Art; it's part of what defines us. So, we have a thirst for knowledge and fellowship that most other activities lack.

I regrettably admit I don't know the first thing about kung-fu (except Neo knows it). That's why I don't post junk in the Chinese Martial Arts threads.

But I sure don't spend my time trashing kung-fu or talking about how karate and ju-jitsu are superior. Instead, appreciating the dedication I know goes into that art (as well as all others) I appreciate having a resource to find out more about it from some great practitioners.

Countless people join many, many message boards. With most we find ourselves either "unimportant" or the board itself simply doesn't have that much to offer. This forum is the farthest thing I've ever seen from both of those problems.

Thus, please reference my previous "best site in the world" comment.

J

jbclinic

i joined to get other info and opinions which has been very helpful from everyone. some things mentioned were confirmed others just good to hear.
yo!! from philly

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre, good post. I have to agree. Everyone here (except for the occational troll that get's "removed" quickly hehehehehe), is very respectful. I like MT because I can learn from everyone, not just TKD folks. What I like best, is the lack of flaming that most other boards have.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For a while I guess I was looking for a good site to further my knowledge of the MA's not just Kenpo but other martial arts as well and learn from different people. And there are a lot of good sites out there, but this one just fit me well. Everyone here is respectful and no one thinks they are better than the other person because of the style they learned, everyone just tries to learn from each other. That was a definite factor for me, how nice everyone is here. Another factor was having guys old school guys who got to know people like Ed Parker personally contributing, I think that is amazing very few other sites can offer that.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was looking up MA info on the net and on a google search I got the MT archive. After reading then looking at the site I decided that I had to join.
Best decision ever!

Now my GF on the other hand is getting irritated that I am on this site everyday. She says I have an addiction. I tell her I am researching and giving opinions as well as asking. What is a MA to do???
lol

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was invited by my instructor, who found it while he was looking around for discussion boards to post invitations to tournaments on - unlike most others, this one is well-moderated, and the discussions are actually informative and interesting - not knock-down, drag-out fights zones like most of the other MA discussion sites I've seen.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was playing around on the internet for another forum (didn't like the one I was on at the time). Was hooked ever since!

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I started the process of looking for a new school (which I'm still doing) and realized I needed some help and input. I know what I want out of a school but I also needed to know what to look for in a good school and how to determine a bad school. I needed the insight of those that have been down this road before. I found MT and a few other boards. MT most appealed to me and I'm so glad that I joined. Everyone has been so nice and helpful. Someday I hope to be able to provide the same for newbies. :asian:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had belonged to another sight, but wasn't happy with the direction it was going. So, I looked elsewhere. The folks here can disagree & yet still consider the other person of value. That's rare in the MA world, I think. We (as the MA world) tend to need to top one another...often with a (dare I say) religious fervor. I'm glad that doesn't happen here. We seem to have mature folks here who realize that competition on the mat doesn't need to extend to the locker room.

Thank you to all of you for being willing to help each other. I've been helped a great deal by many of you to start my own school. I means a great deal to me.:asian:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw a magazine for Fred Villari's DVD's and thought; "This guy is still around? I remember him and his shoe ads from the early 1980's", so I did a search on Villari to see what was up and found the Villari thread and followed it for several months (it was a LONG thread that covered a lot of ground). Finally after about four months of lurking, I joined. Never posted to the Villari thread though...

Latest Discussions