I get badly hurt

I guess learning pain can have two interpretations: Mental conditioning, or as biofeedback.
In this case i meant it as biofeedback.

I block or evade only when pain becomes hard to bea or signals risk of daamge, otherwise I use it as an opportuinty to train the first interpretation, and save physical energyt in the fight.

Block and evade usually consumes physical energy, taking pain only takes mental energy. I like to save my physical energy at the expensive of eating some pain and grow paintreshold.

One instructor aske me why i dont block, and i just said, because it doesnt hurt, so you need to go harder.
 
There are certain keys to protecting your knees that karate and kickboxing instructors do not typically teach their students. Your knees will not survive years of being slammed into bags at head height, especially past the age of 30. It's best to keep leg techniques to jodan for sparring, and limit the contact at that, and work on mobility exercises for your lower body. Also, check out the silent school of yoga on youtube- my knees have been a lot happier, and my flexibility has improved radically, since I started using 'soft knees' while stretching. The other thing is that about two years in, everybody- even kids- tends to pick up injuries. It's just a function of the risk factors and the length of time you have been training. Take the time to recover, then ease back in to training.
 
There are certain keys to protecting your knees that karate and kickboxing instructors do not typically teach their students. Your knees will not survive years of being slammed into bags at head height, especially past the age of 30. It's best to keep leg techniques to jodan for sparring, and limit the contact at that, and work on mobility exercises for your lower body.
sound like good advice.

Not sure if its because my inabilities or because or anatomical facts but I found empirically for me it impossible to delivery hard power at jodan and maintain same integrity of body and back. To throw the leg up in the air is one thing, but to displace the bag AND keep balance when you hit a non-yielding target is not someing I can do. I train exlusive gedan and chudan for power kicks. liver, kidneys, hip or leg nerves is good enough weapons and less risky. one except is a angled axe i can throw up to chin level if i need but but with low power and it wears on my back, so this i do only in sparring to the shoulder height to teaser... not hard on the bag.

I trust the feedback i get from the bag more than anything else
 
Have you thought of the Filipino Martial Arts?
As far as self defense is concerned, knowing how to use a weapon as well as you hands and feet is a great benefit. It’s ambidextrous in nature and multitasking. Often one hand is doing something completely different, yet complimentary to the task. The drills teach you to flow and promote good footwork. It promotes good cognitive heath. You can carry all this to an old age easily.
 
Hi all, sorry my first post is a bit of a downer but nobody else will understand how I feel right now. They’ll really tell me to quit.

Here’s my backstory: I started kickboxing classes almost two years ago now, when I turned 39.
I joined to get fit and enjoyed the sense of accomplishment. At the time I didn’t even realise what the sport was really about and how it becomes a lifestyle and part of your identity. I love being part of the community.

As a mother with a full time job and studying I trained when I could.
Not long after that I joined full contact karate with my 8yo daughter.
I felt the two sports had many similarities so it helped a bit. Kickboxing was always my first love.

However I often got hurt at training, I thought I might have undiagnosed arthritis.
In October last year I popped a knee while resisting a throw in karate.
7 months in and I’m not fully recovered… guess what happened today… same thing happened to the other knee.

Now I’m sitting with ice on my leg thinking I can’t afford to get hurt like this. Maybe all those debby downers who told me I’m silly and too old for this were right.
I’m not even good at either sport. I haven’t fought a tournament in kickboxing at all. I suck at karate in general.

I always say there’s no expiry date to join martial arts and winners never quit.
But I’m really struggling to keep a positive attitude right now. It’s the second time I’m going to miss a grading because of an injury.
I feel like why even go back, I’m just a liability, my body is too frail.
I don’t believe in myself at all right now.

So to get fit maybe I should just do yoga and get a hobby that’s less violent 🥹

Thank you for listening.
Some words of inspiration would be great 😞
Define "popped a knee"?
You are not old, but let's be honest you are not young either. The older we get the longer it takes for recovery time. And there is SO much involved in diet/hydration and genetics here.
Sincerely, good on ya for wanting to hang with the the 17-year-olds but there is a stark reality to things you must balance. You have a fulltime job, a kid and a life outside the gym which are infinitely more important.
In no way am I saying stop training, but you absolutely need to temper your intensity and possibly training style (not there so I have no way of knowing). I LOVE your drive and desire, but prefer to also see you posting 5-10-20 years down the road.
Some or all of your rant at the end may be true. And Yes, if you are in a truly hard and violent program like a competition only program, you need to do something with less contact. The does Not mean you have to jump from a contact sport so something as soft as yoga. There are tons and tons of middle ground there you need to find.
You got this.
 
Also, again: at nearly 40, the worst thing you could do is recover from injury and then start training just as if nothing had happened. You might be lucky, yes, but you might injure yourself again and that's a whole world of misery, take it from me. Ease back into it
Also, if you're having joint injuries it's well worth seeing an actual physiotherapist. A friend of mine has shoulder problems and massage and other soft tissue therapy helps. It's good to get actual, qualified medical advice on these things.
 
I'm sorry you got injured and hope you heal quickly! I got a minor (thankfully) shoulder injury while trying out BJJ. I tried Tai Chi after that and was hooked. My advice - do not worry too much about gradings. Worry about your skill level and that you are getting what you want from the classes. Many arts don't have rankings.

I bring up Tai Chi because I have learned there are safer and more dangerous ways to resist throws. Try taking to your teacher(s) about this, what happened, and how you can avoid it in the future. In Tai Chi, if you have weight on your leg your knee should remain pointed in the same direction as your toes (without moving in front of them). I am not sure if this translates to karate.

A side note: Sword (Iaido) and Tai Chi are similar in the sense that they are gentler overall but can be hard on your knees from repetitive stress IF you are not attentive. A good teacher is mandatory for understanding what movements to avoid and for receiving feedback when something is off.
When I speak to people from my club obviously they don’t want me to quit. This is ‘just a setback’.
But like you said I have priorities and need my legs for another 40yrs. In the chaos of it all one forgets that this doesn’t need to be ‘all or nothing’. There are other options for me.
 
Also, again: at nearly 40, the worst thing you could do is recover from injury and then start training just as if nothing had happened. You might be lucky, yes, but you might injure yourself again and that's a whole world of misery, take it from me. Ease back into it
Also, if you're having joint injuries it's well worth seeing an actual physiotherapist. A friend of mine has shoulder problems and massage and other soft tissue therapy helps. It's good to get actual, qualified medical advice on these things.
I actually want to find a sport injury physiotherapist specifically. It’s worth the effort.
 
Have you thought of the Filipino Martial Arts?
As far as self defense is concerned, knowing how to use a weapon as well as you hands and feet is a great benefit. It’s ambidextrous in nature and multitasking. Often one hand is doing something completely different, yet complimentary to the task. The drills teach you to flow and promote good footwork. It promotes good cognitive heath. You can carry all this to an old age easily.
I can’t say I’m familiar. Will check it out.
 
I'm sorry you got injured and hope you heal quickly! I got a minor (thankfully) shoulder injury while trying out BJJ. I tried Tai Chi after that and was hooked. My advice - do not worry too much about gradings. Worry about your skill level and that you are getting what you want from the classes. Many arts don't have rankings.

I bring up Tai Chi because I have learned there are safer and more dangerous ways to resist throws. Try taking to your teacher(s) about this, what happened, and how you can avoid it in the future. In Tai Chi, if you have weight on your leg your knee should remain pointed in the same direction as your toes (without moving in front of them). I am not sure if this translates to karate.

A side note: Sword (Iaido) and Tai Chi are similar in the sense that they are gentler overall but can be hard on your knees from repetitive stress IF you are not attentive. A good teacher is mandatory for understanding what movements to avoid and for receiving feedback when something is off.
Apparently it’s my fault and i shouldn’t have resisted. I don’t want to sound like I’m arguing or have an ego but it happened when she pushed my knee to get me off balance, I heard a clicking sound and my leg gave in… I really think I just have bad knees. And have no business putting myself in these situations.
 
There are certain keys to protecting your knees that karate and kickboxing instructors do not typically teach their students. Your knees will not survive years of being slammed into bags at head height, especially past the age of 30. It's best to keep leg techniques to jodan for sparring, and limit the contact at that, and work on mobility exercises for your lower body. Also, check out the silent school of yoga on youtube- my knees have been a lot happier, and my flexibility has improved radically, since I started using 'soft knees' while stretching. The other thing is that about two years in, everybody- even kids- tends to pick up injuries. It's just a function of the risk factors and the length of time you have been training. Take the time to recover, then ease back in to training.
What is soft knees exactly? Does it help a lot with your knee pain and stiffness? Is it a brace or sleeve type device?
 
I agree with what the others have said, definitely take time to rest and reset. Everyone's body is different and has different limitations. It is up to us to learn how to work with them or to avoid them.

If you do choose to continue, maybe you can work with the coaches to go slower on the throws or sit that part out. Otherwise, there are many arts to explore!
 
Apparently it’s my fault and i shouldn’t have resisted. I don’t want to sound like I’m arguing or have an ego but it happened when she pushed my knee to get me off balance, I heard a clicking sound and my leg gave in… I really think I just have bad knees. And have no business putting myself in these situations.
I have a bad knee and try to be very careful while I am training. Take some time to heal up and reassess to see if this is the right MA for you. I am also 39 years old, and I definitely understand the struggle of doing this kind of activity at our age. Don't push yourself too hard and give yourself plenty of rest time. Hope you recover well and please keep us updated!
 
I have a bad knee and try to be very careful while I am training. Take some time to heal up and reassess to see if this is the right MA for you. I am also 39 years old, and I definitely understand the struggle of doing this kind of activity at our age. Don't push yourself too hard and give yourself plenty of rest time. Hope you recover well and please keep us updated!
Thank you, everyone has been so kind in their replies. For some reason I always feel like such a failure when things like this happen and I put myself down. I appreciate the support. Osu.
 
Define "popped a knee"?
You are not old, but let's be honest you are not young either. The older we get the longer it takes for recovery time. And there is SO much involved in diet/hydration and genetics here.
Sincerely, good on ya for wanting to hang with the the 17-year-olds but there is a stark reality to things you must balance. You have a fulltime job, a kid and a life outside the gym which are infinitely more important.
In no way am I saying stop training, but you absolutely need to temper your intensity and possibly training style (not there so I have no way of knowing). I LOVE your drive and desire, but prefer to also see you posting 5-10-20 years down the road.
Some or all of your rant at the end may be true. And Yes, if you are in a truly hard and violent program like a competition only program, you need to do something with less contact. The does Not mean you have to jump from a contact sport so something as soft as yoga. There are tons and tons of middle ground there you need to find.
You got this.
By 'popped knee', I mean...The first time it happened I was pulling away and the girl let go. My back leg (right leg) was straight so when she let go my weight pushed into that leg and at that angle... I heard a loud POP and my leg gave in. It felt like when you knock your elbow on the funny bone. It swelled up but no brocken bones, I didn't have money to pay for an MRI so I just went to physio who also did some acupuncture. It healed well enough but not fully, I cant sit on my knees in seiza position.
This time however it was a different move, my partner pushed my knee to get me off balance and I heard a clicking sound. I knew it was over for me.. I was so angry/frustrated/disappointed. I felt like Ive made so much progress in my fitness (trying to build stamina), its like for every two steps i take forward something happens to put me 3 steps back and I have to start all over again. Its a bit disheartening, but I guess part of the journey.
 
Last edited:
What is soft knees exactly? Does it help a lot with your knee pain and stiffness? Is it a brace or sleeve type device?
It's really just always maintaining a slight bend in the leg. It's helped a lot- I get a lot less pain and stiffness in my knees now. I'd never promote a product on here- it's a skill. You've got to learn how to keep that slight bend in all positions, which is suprisingly difficult sometimes.
 
Last edited:
The other thing you can consider when you get back to regular classes is wrapping your knees. Ask your instructor how to do this- I've never needed to so I have no idea.
 
Back
Top