I get badly hurt

Y2K2020

White Belt
Hi all, sorry my first post is a bit of a downer but nobody else will understand how I feel right now. They’ll really tell me to quit.

Here’s my backstory: I started kickboxing classes almost two years ago now, when I turned 39.
I joined to get fit and enjoyed the sense of accomplishment. At the time I didn’t even realise what the sport was really about and how it becomes a lifestyle and part of your identity. I love being part of the community.

As a mother with a full time job and studying I trained when I could.
Not long after that I joined full contact karate with my 8yo daughter.
I felt the two sports had many similarities so it helped a bit. Kickboxing was always my first love.

However I often got hurt at training, I thought I might have undiagnosed arthritis.
In October last year I popped a knee while resisting a throw in karate.
7 months in and I’m not fully recovered… guess what happened today… same thing happened to the other knee.

Now I’m sitting with ice on my leg thinking I can’t afford to get hurt like this. Maybe all those debby downers who told me I’m silly and too old for this were right.
I’m not even good at either sport. I haven’t fought a tournament in kickboxing at all. I suck at karate in general.

I always say there’s no expiry date to join martial arts and winners never quit.
But I’m really struggling to keep a positive attitude right now. It’s the second time I’m going to miss a grading because of an injury.
I feel like why even go back, I’m just a liability, my body is too frail.
I don’t believe in myself at all right now.

So to get fit maybe I should just do yoga and get a hobby that’s less violent 🄹

Thank you for listening.
Some words of inspiration would be great šŸ˜ž
 
Last edited:
Have you considered trying a less full contact art? Traditional Karate perhaps? It has the excitement of sparring but it’s much more controlled. Then you have kata (forms) and kihon (basic techniques up and down the hall, getting for form correct). Great for fitness too!

For your injuries, I’ve heard acupuncture works really well.
 
Hi
I’m fairly new to martial arts so haven’t tried a different style.
I got acupuncture and physio on my first knee injury. I guess I will have to go back.
I’m so embarrassed to go to work on Monday, they’re going to have a lot to say.
 
Have a little look around at different martial arts clubs. It appears you’re in South Africa so I’m sure there’ll be a huge variety of martial arts to try.I think Karate will be good for you. Be aware the Kyokushin involves heavy contact as does Goju Ryu…you might want to avoid them. But the ubiquitous Shotokan and Okinawan schools do very little in the way of heavy free sparring.

Then their are Filipino martial arts and ā€˜Korean Karate’.

One piece of advice, avoid classes where children participate; they will really hold back your progress!

The world is your exciting oyster!
 
Have a little look around at different martial arts clubs. It appears you’re in South Africa so I’m sure there’ll be a huge variety of martial arts to try.I think Karate will be good for you. Be aware the Kyokushin involves heavy contact as does Goju Ryu…you might want to avoid them. But the ubiquitous Shotokan and Okinawan schools do very little in the way of heavy free sparring.

Then their are Filipino martial arts and ā€˜Korean Karate’.

One piece of advice, avoid classes where children participate; they will really hold back your progress!

The world is your exciting oyster!
Thank you so much šŸ¤—
 
I should add, receiving lots of minor injuries repeatedly, will have a cumulative detrimental effect, especially knee injuries as you’ll realise in about 10 years 😳. Avoid them at all costs.
 
I should add, receiving lots of minor injuries repeatedly, will have a cumulative detrimental effect, especially knee injuries as you’ll realise in about 10 years 😳. Avoid them at all costs.
I agree, I have to listen to my body. I don’t want to end up in a wheelchair next.
 
In the spirit of unbiased advice, I can highly recommend Japanese swordsmanship 😐
 
Speaking of which, do you have any links you can share for katana practice? I got a Bokken a few months ago but can’t find a full kata training video online. The one I saw started in seiza position… not good for someone with bad knees who can’t seiza šŸ™ˆ I suppose some improvising will have to do.
 
Does your bokutō (the Japanese never call it a bokken) have a scabbard (saya)?
 
Yes, it does. It’s a cheap plastic one, but it has some weight to it.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8877.webp
    IMG_8877.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 54
I believe the Chinese "č‹—åˆ€ Miao Dao" might come from the Japanese samurai sword from the Ming Dynasty during the pirate war, but it's much longer and heavier.

Miao-Dao-vs-Katana-Characteristics.webp




My student's Miao Dao.


I like this video a lot.


 
Last edited:
I'm sorry you got injured and hope you heal quickly! I got a minor (thankfully) shoulder injury while trying out BJJ. I tried Tai Chi after that and was hooked. My advice - do not worry too much about gradings. Worry about your skill level and that you are getting what you want from the classes. Many arts don't have rankings.

I bring up Tai Chi because I have learned there are safer and more dangerous ways to resist throws. Try taking to your teacher(s) about this, what happened, and how you can avoid it in the future. In Tai Chi, if you have weight on your leg your knee should remain pointed in the same direction as your toes (without moving in front of them). I am not sure if this translates to karate.

A side note: Sword (Iaido) and Tai Chi are similar in the sense that they are gentler overall but can be hard on your knees from repetitive stress IF you are not attentive. A good teacher is mandatory for understanding what movements to avoid and for receiving feedback when something is off.
 
Hi all, sorry my first post is a bit of a downer but nobody else will understand how I feel right now. They’ll really tell me to quit.

Here’s my backstory: I started kickboxing classes almost two years ago now, when I turned 39.
I'm 50+ and I've done weekly kyokushin sparring for several years, and the worst that happend to me so far as a slightly deformed little finger (i didnt even notice it until much later) because if was stupid enough to try to block a kick the wrong way and i get some sore shins after kicking into opponent knees + some sore hands after striking into elbows. But they were great lessons. But I never really had what i call a serious injury, not sure if i'm lucky or just has gotten decent at defending myself without hurting myself. Others at the club has perhaps cracked rib or broken a toe, but its very rare.

So far I have luckily not accidently damaged anyone else either, which would be embarrassing as control is also one of the things you suposedly train as well. I save the full power for the heavy bag which i also to weekly.

Unless you visit som fight club most clubs you want your partners to be able to come next week, so maybe you are too violent? In particular joints is where you should be careful.

However I often got hurt at training, I thought I might have undiagnosed arthritis.
In October last year I popped a knee while resisting a throw in karate.
7 months in and I’m not fully recovered… guess what happened today… same thing happened to the other knee.
That sounds nasty indeed. Maybe you gor unlucky or if you are going to hard? After all sparring is supposed to be with mutual responsibility, we have both kids and women and big guys, and you always adapt to your current opponent.

Now I’m sitting with ice on my leg thinking I can’t afford to get hurt like this. Maybe all those debby downers who told me I’m silly and too old for this were right.
I’m not even good at either sport. I haven’t fought a tournament in kickboxing at all. I suck at karate in general.

I always say there’s no expiry date to join martial arts and winners never quit.
But I’m really struggling to keep a positive attitude right now. It’s the second time I’m going to miss a grading because of an injury.
Then you have a good reason for missing the grading. I'd say forget about the gradings.

Can your partners to reduce power? Just enough to give you some learning pain but avoid damages?
 
In October last year I popped a knee while resisting a throw in karate.
7 months in and I’m not fully recovered… guess what happened today… same thing happened to the other knee.
I think one of the top 3 reasons for knee injuries in grappling is resisting a throw or take-down that you shouldn't. The other two reasons in that top 3 list are: uncontrolled falling body weight (i.e. flying scissors take-down) or ripping leg submissions on people that aren't familiar with defending them).

I don't think the problem is that you're injury prone. I think what's happening to you is what happens to a lot of beginners in grappling: viewing each round or technique as a win/loss game, and not accepting a loss when it happens. Know when someone is throwing you when you've lost that battle, and make the decision to breakfall and hopefully land in a position that isn't too disadvantageous.

This is a smaller youtube channel mainly focused on BJJ, but he's got some good ideas regarding building up to full-contact takedowns:
 
Have you considered trying a less full contact art? Traditional Karate perhaps? It has the excitement of sparring but it’s much more controlled. Then you have kata (forms) and kihon (basic techniques up and down the hall, getting for form correct). Great for fitness too!

For your injuries, I’ve heard acupuncture works really well.
My wife does acupuncture and swears by it. It always makes her feel better!
 
Back
Top