Who would you choose to be your bodyguard?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
"I'd choose so-and-so 'cause he's a martial artist who can kick ***!"

Wrong answer. Dead wrong if you really need that sort of personal security.

Bodyguarding is a highly skilled profession. There's a lot more to it than being able to punch and kick. If I had to name a specific person it would be Cliff Stewart or someone he recommends. Cliff has been doing bodyguarding for high-profile people (Wesley Snipes, Sultan of Oman, etc.) for decades. He knows how it's done. Otherwise I'd look up some retired Secret Service agents who had done a variety of protection detail assignments, preferably ones who had also done a stint or two teaching it at FLETC. They're the pros. That's what they do.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could I choose myself?

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
He might not have experience as a bodyguard, but I would put my life in my Sensei's hands with no problem. I learnt to trust him and I admire his skills beyond any doubt.
If I had to chose someone with my nationality (Italian) I admire alot Michele Quaranta Sensei (even tho he is kinda old for the job).

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd hire Tony Blair, put on as much jewellery as i can carry and stand in a dark alley in "The Bad Side Of Town"...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife Kathy(she was trained by me and she would do a stupendous job) or

Jim Harrison(at one time he was called "The most Dangerous Man In The World).

There are a number of baaad people out there, but these are the two that come to mind.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said guys, wrong answer.

A brawler, which is what pretty much everyone here is talking about, is not the same as a security expert. Thompson, Quinn and the like make some sense because they've done certain sorts of security work. But Kenpo this and Sensei that? Not on a bet. They might be decent fighters, but that's only a small part of being a really good, comprehensive personal security professional.

What do they know about pursuit or evasive driving?

Checking a crowd?

Being inconspicuous?

Defusing a thousand different potentially dangerous situations discreetly?

Checking out a car, hotel room or restaurant for possible threats?

Evacuation?

Getting between the client and the attacker?

And a hundred other things that I don't know because I'm not in the business?

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A brawler, which is what pretty much everyone here is talking about, is not the same as a security expert. Thompson, Quinn and the like make some sense because they've done certain sorts of security work. But Kenpo this and Sensei that? Not on a bet. They might be decent fighters, but that's only a small part of being a really good, comprehensive personal security professional.

Checking a crowd?

Being inconspicuous?

Evacuation?

I tend to agree with you. What about guys like Mike Pick and Ron Braughton? Their not just Martial Artists but they have a background in Military Special Ops, weapons etc.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score

Checking a crowd?

Being inconspicuous?

Evacuation?

Man to do all that you need a team, not a bodyguard. I have worked in a hotel for 4 years and seen people with a single bodyguard around them, trust me it is not like you pictured it. On the other hand I have had once a politician in the hotel and the story was different. They closed a whole floor of the hotel and they had a team of bodyguards doing all the things you mentioned. There were even 2 bodyguards going upstairs using the stairs while the politician was going in the elevator with other guards...and they had requested the first floor, nothing higher.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thompson, Quinn and the like make some sense because they've done certain sorts of security work.

That's why I thought of them in that context. They know security logistics, which, as you say, imposes all kinds of demands beyond being a good fighter.

But to some extent, the nature of the `right' answer depends on the importance of the protectee. For a lot of people, who might just want protection against random street violence, a very competent, experienced and dedicated streetfighting expert might be all they needed, because they aren't enough of a target to warrant much more. If you're Celebrity, then things start taking off pretty quickly, depending on your degree of fame, or, if you're a CEO or otherwise handsomely endowed with riches, depending on just how handsome you endowment in $$ is. If you're the ruler or major political leader in some country, you need something like the resources of an army to protect you.

And if you're a mob boss, you better have Paulie and Sylvio and Chris and the boys, in three cars, following and leading you... :D

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hmmm Let me see.

I wonde if some of the special training in driving vehicles would count?

Checking a crowd?

Worked it for years as security, and also to decide who was the problem of most likely the problem. I have also been accused of working at places I was only at, as I would be in the standard security spot even if someone who worked there was not.

Being inconspicuous?

I have been known to disapear or blend into a crowd even after I have had a confrontation and be able to assist friends or delay the bad guys.

Yep, done that, from everything to agreeing with the person and or buying them a drink, to just smiling and walking away.

This is one of the harder one. The size of bugs and camera's makes this very difficult without some nice equipment to pick up a transmision or to assist. I do check my hotel room, for the last thing I want is to show up on Voyer.com

I check every place I walk into, just because it is habit.

Checking a vehicle out for trouble is much more difficult. Being in the Auto biz, I know lots of little ways and places that could modify a vehicle. And opening the hood requires opening the door, which on most modern vehicles also wakes up many of the modules on the communications bus, whihc could be used as some form of a trigger. Also breaking a ground when the door opens, or when the vehicles is started or attempted to be started. One can check the obvious, if one is able to look visually. So, this leads to having the vehicle locked and out of sight and touch of others when not in use and monitored visually by those you trust when in public. Otherwise I know of no way to make it 100% safe. :(

Evacuation?

How to get out of a place is what I look for as I walk in and check the place out, even in the Grocery Store.

Having worked at some clubs and had to get between fans and the performers this can be difficult if your package is not listening to you and or doing things to make it easier for people to get access to them.

(* I also wore a cup when I worked these types of events, many people laughed, but all it took was for the look of someone after they knee'd me and I was able to react. Yes no matter how good one is, there is almost always a chance for contact. and sometimes it occurs because you are between the person and your package. *)

I actually am not in the business. But Like I said given my resources and limited skill set, I would still choose me. :) ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea, that's his name...Thanks dubljay...This getting older sucks at times..

Drac, as long as you can remember your own name, you're still golden. I'm getting to the point where when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is ask myself, `What's your name, lad?' As long as I can answer that, I know that I'm gonna be OK... :wink1:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually am not in the business. But Like I said given my resources and limited skill set, I would still choose me. :) ;)

Man oh man, we would have had a whole lotta fun if you could have worked that large rock-n-roll club up here with me..A lotta fun or wound up sharing a cell...LOL

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks!!! And you are who??? LOL!!!

C'mon, Drac, you know I'm... ummm.... uh... look, do I have to answer that right now? Can I get back to you in the morning about it? :uhohh:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man oh man, we would have had a whole lotta fun if you could have worked that large rock-n-roll club up here with me..A lotta fun or wound up sharing a cell...LOL

Shhh, I only spent a lot of nights talking to officers in the station. I never ever spent anytime in a cell. :D

So I guess it would have been fun. Or at least fun back then. ;) :lol: I try to avoid most of that now.