If you had to choose one of these 3

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All depends on why and what I wanted to learn. But I would say probably Japanese Jiu Jitsu because it would adapt from my wrestling background.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I have always had an interest in JKD, however, my understanding of it, has always been that you need to have a good firm foundation to work from, before you start studying it, so I would go with the kempo or hapkido, first. Get a good foundation there, then go and do JKD if that is where your interest lies.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hapkido!!! Anything that allows me to kick like TKD, and still have some grappling skills is what I need.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Japanese jujutsu. It is somewhat rare to find a legit Koryu jujutsu school.
And then have Kenpo which is a highly effective art on top of that.

I find these 2 to be highly effective.

davedaylight

White Belt
Reaction score
I'd probably go with Hapkido, just cause what I've seen of it so far I've liked, and it's a style I'd like to get more experience with. Having said that, I'd probably still check out all 3 schools and if non of them were good I'd move! lol.

SteffenBerg

White Belt
Reaction score
Tough question as a lot of it would depend on the reason why you want to study martial arts. Then it would depend on how the art is taught, and how well the instructor can teach the material (by looking at the students).

Then I would look at the atmosphere, attitude to training, mindset, skill level of students and whether or not I would feel "comfortable" training there (since I'd be spending a good portion of my time there).

I have some experience with all of the arts you have listed (JKD, Jujutsu, Kenpo and Hapkido), and all of the arts can be great! Unfortunately there's a huge discrepancy between instructors, lineage etc., so it would really depend on their curriculum.

/Stef

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score
From those choices, I'd go with Hapkido. Of course it really depends on the instructors. No matter how good an art, bad teachers equal a terrible experience.
It also depends on what you want to achieve. Self-defense? fitness? strength and conditioning?
Observe and ask a lot of questions both of the school and yourself. Most important, watch the students and see what kind of experience they're having.
Best of luck with your choice.

Cheers,

David

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me as one who needs to begin a new art formally... I'd check out each school's instructor and their class curriculum to ensure I am getting what I paid for. Check out the BBB for any complaints about the school and ask the owner/operator/instructor about them, ask them to provide lineage... for the Kenpo/JJ/Hapkido especially, check out their prices and see which is a better value... come back here to MT with my findings and get the best advice I can get anywhere.

But that's just me :uhyeah:

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that the instructor makes all the difference and you should visit, but...

If a Jeet kune do school, a Hapkido school, and a school that taught Kenpo and Japanese jujutsu were all equidistant from you and these were your 3 only choices, which would you choose & why?

I love the questions that have absolutely no context behind them..
If the question posed is asking whish of the three arts each individual likes the most then fine..

but if a person wants to be a gold medal winner in the olympics for Tae Kwon Do then all three options probably suck equally.

There is no way to adequately answer this question.
all three have positives and negatives, and thats before you even factor in things like, instructor quality, student quality, facility quality, cost factors, equipment quality, etc.etc.
This truely is a poorly worded question. Try to detail it a little better and I am sure you can get a better answer along the lines you are wanting.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the question posed is asking whish of the three arts each individual likes the most then fine..

but if a person wants to be a gold medal winner in the olympics for Tae Kwon Do then all three options probably suck equally.

all three have positives and negatives, and that's before you even factor in things like, instructor quality, student quality, facility quality, cost factors, equipment quality, etc.etc.
This truely is a poorly worded question. Try to detail it a little better and I am sure you can get a better answer along the lines you are wanting.
Now, now... give the guy a break it's only his second post after all... compared to your 15... :uhyeah: For what he asked he did get a good number of responses in a short time, neh?
Even I flub my thread starters making folks go... HUH??

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

all three have positives and negatives, and thats before you even factor in things like, instructor quality, student quality, facility quality, cost factors, equipment quality, etc.etc.
Well, the context seemed to be just what he said: three schools equidistant, and the only choice. Each was different enough to warrant a specific answer other than, 'whichever.' And given that a good number of folks answered the thread, the question was obviously answerable.

Daniel

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Id go with Hapkido myself, but only because I have a background in it, and it's "familiar".

Latest Discussions