"The Book of Martial Power"

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have recently purchased and am reading Steven Pearlman's "The Book of Martial Power."

I was wondering if anyone else has this volume and what their opinion on the work (or its author) is?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have recently purchased and am reading Steven Pearlman's "The Book of Martial Power."

I was wondering if anyone else has this volume and what their opinion on the work (or its author) is?

I've got the book and am about a third of the way into it. I'm still not sure what to think about it, and I suspect that a lot of the important content is going to be packed towards the latter half of the book. But one thing I can say: the graphics are definitely not sufficiently clear to illustrate the points that the author intends them to.

More as I get further with the book...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just picked it up from the library about a half hour ago, so in the next week I'll be going over it.

Jeff

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just finished it about two hours ago (right before dinner).

My personal review of it (although I'm not all that bright):

Overall - I'd recommend it to anybody with 3 - 5 (or more) years of consistant practice under their belt/sash/shorts/gloves/whatever. By that time, most martial artists will have enough experience in the arts to understand where the author is coming from. It can be read by any level, but it's verbage lends itself to mroe experienced artists.

Language - In the author's attempt to make the book applicable to all systems and styles, he tends to come across as overly academic and far too wordy. In my opinion, however, he is successful. There are a few typos in the text that tell me that his proof-reader could've used another cup of coffee.

Subject Matter - The author does a superb job at describing each principle and its use in combination with other principles.

Finally - I don't feel that I wasted my money on the cover price, although I would have felt better at an amazon-esque price instead of Books-a-million.

Score - 3 3/4 stars (out of 5; "Living the Martial Way" got 5 out of 5)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just finished it about two hours ago (right before dinner).

My personal review of it (although I'm not all that bright):

Overall - I'd recommend it to anybody with 3 - 5 (or more) years of consistant practice under their belt/sash/shorts/gloves/whatever. By that time, most martial artists will have enough experience in the arts to understand where the author is coming from. It can be read by any level, but it's verbage lends itself to mroe experienced artists.

Language - In the author's attempt to make the book applicable to all systems and styles, he tends to come across as overly academic and far too wordy. In my opinion, however, he is successful. There are a few typos in the text that tell me that his proof-reader could've used another cup of coffee.

Subject Matter - The author does a superb job at describing each principle and its use in combination with other principles.

Finally - I don't feel that I wasted my money on the cover price, although I would have felt better at an amazon-esque price instead of Books-a-million.

Score - 3 3/4 stars (out of 5; "Living the Martial Way" got 5 out of 5)

I agree Living the Martial way is a much better book in my opinion, but it is well done and yes it is for the more serious Martial Artist.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Living the Martial Way is a very, very good book.
Keep the review's coming and maybe I will pick
up this book as well. Thanks.

OP
stone_dragone

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now that I've finished that, I have just started Ed Parker's Infinite Insights series. I won't be done with that for a while and even then, I'm terrified of giving a bad opinion about them...although I don't expect that it'll happen any way. :)

But I'm also working on a new book by Karl Marx (Keichu Do, not Communism) re: his philosophy and Christian MArital Arts called "Martial Art Spirit." I'll let y'all know how it turns out.