Instructor training.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
While most of you know from prior posts, my brother owns the school I train at, and is the head instructor as well. We were talking after the last kids class the other night about how different kids learn in different ways. He kind of took me by suprise when he mentioned the different methods people use to learn the same material, and knew how to reach each type of individual to help them better. I mentioned to him and the other instructors where I thought it would help to go down to the local university and take a class or two on the fundementals of teaching. (It is mainly a university for training teachers.) He mentioned that he HAD taken all of the Education courses from Mainstreaming to the elementary education courses to some PE education courses. I knew he had been taking courses over the years, but figured they were business orentated due to him owning a couple of different businesses, never thought he would be taking teaching courses.

Now for my questions: Do you as instructors take "regular" teaching courses to help in your MA instruction? Do you feel they would be helpful if you don't already take them? As a student, would you feel better if you knew your MA Instructor was trained as a "regular" teacher?

The bugger keeps suprising me with his depth of preperation he took before opening his own school. Down to getting a killer location, a group of people he can call on to do seminairs, and now not only his natural teaching ability, but university classes on how to teach properly.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Taking teaching classes should be something that every instructor should look into. They can really help by giving you a diverse way to deal with how different individuals learn.
icon14.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do and I don't... but I'm a middle school special education teacher as well as an MA instructor, and therefore have taken the classes anyway. I see a lot of crossover in my teaching techniques between the two settings, and I know that each has improved my teaching ability in the other setting.

As far as the usefulness of taking regular "teaching" classes, I think it depends to an extent on the person, as well as the instructor's instructor. Some people are natural teachers, and some instructors are better at teaching their students how to teach than others - I remember my sahbum teaching me how to teach what to teach when I first started assisting with instruction in class; it was that experience that finally caused me to go back to school for my teaching certificate. After so long, however (15 years teaching MA, 13 years teaching school), it's hard to separate out what came from where.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Army did a pretty good job of teaching me how to teach. Between the various NCO courses (PLDC, BNCOC, ANCOC) and they Q-Course, they can be pretty compressive. Plus lots of experience training up foreign nationals. I will say when it comes to kids under the age of 13 or so I am lost.

Jeff

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't taken classes to teach martial arts, per se but I have done plenty of instructor training. The courses I've taken to prepare me for teaching in the fire service did involve manipulative training, which is directly related to martial arts. As for what we do at the school, we do have an instructor training program that is formalized with different levels and requirements to advance to the next level. It's kind of a parallel track to the belt material. It doesn't just involve learning the details needed to teach the techniques but also how to teach them and how to approach different student.

As for taking regular teaching courses, I do think it would be a good idea to get SOME form of training on how to teach, whether it's formalized education or something like the organized program we've developed. Theories on learning and instruction can help quite a bit when preparing to teach. After that though, I think the most important thing is to gain experience actually teaching, with someone who's already an instructor providing mentoring.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was thinking about this a few days ago.
I started teaching solo a few years after high school and found the best thing that I ever took for teaching martial arts was not martial arts related. In high school, I took a class called "Teacher Cadet." In it, I got to go to the local elem. and middle schools and teach classes. I was graded on how well I taught. By the way, I got a college credit and got to go on about a dozen mini field trips--very cool class.
Also, in college, I took public speaking and at one of my jobs, I took basic first aid. Now, those may be a bit off topic, but they go with your general aim of the conversation.
I highly agree that teaching courses can make someone a better instructor.

AoG

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have continued my education though both formal and informal education.
It has made a big difference in not only surviving but in also growing our school.
You wear a lot of "hats" as a small business owner and its important to keep learning.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's important. Most black belts can get through their curriculum and we'll assume they can fight for courtesy's sake. They're turned loose on students with absolutely no training in how to teach. Most of the British martial arts teachers I've met have had at least some instruction in physical education and coaching. It shows.

My first Silat guru was given his certification and told "Go teach." He has a wealth of skills and knowledge. If I wanted someone to have my back he would be the very first choice. But he wasn't a great teacher. He tried very hard and took it very seriously. He just never had been given those skills and ended up leaving teaching because of it. Damned shame.

My current Silat guru was a Green Beret top sergeant, taught how to train and how to "mobilize the indigenous personnel". It shows. Even if his skills and understanding weren't world class - and they are - I'd be with him because he's a master teacher.

Technical skills, fighting ability and quality teaching are three very different things. Proficiency in one does not guarantee proficiency in any of the others.

OP
bydand

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the answers already and they are just about what I expected honestly. It was just never something I thought about because of the nature of the training. It makes perfect sense because people learn the same way weather it be a technique in MA, riding a bike or any other physical activity. Plus you would have to know the best way to figure out how to reach each individual. I think I am going to take some classes aimed toward teaching at the local university just for that reason. I am always getting people on the job and having to train them, and am now helping out in the kids classes at the dojo, so it would do wonders I feel. As a student also, I think it just shows a real dedication by an instructor that they would want to learn the best way to help me along my path in the Arts. Thanks for the input, and keep them coming.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scott although I was a High school teacher and PE/ Basketball coach I still take refreasher courses once a year to see what else is out there, also having my wife still teaching we have access to alot of materials. I know a great deal of instructor that believe this to be worthless and some that think it is great.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have and still do take courses on helping with my instructional abilities. It is a huge help to me to be a personal trainer and group fitness instructor. I have to take continuing education classes and I get the chance to see how others teach classes and to work with other instructors. I also go to seminars and take multiple styles so I get alot of exposure to other instructional styles. If you have never taken a seminar I encourage you to do so, it will open your eyes to other teaching styles not just other techniques.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All of the assistant and senior instructors at our dojo take instruction classes on a semi-regular basis from the chief instructor. This keeps everyone fairly sharp, and aware of any new things that may be implemented.

We were doing this on a regular basis, once a week, until fairly recently. Now that we have some excellent up and coming prospective instructors in the works, we should resume a regular schedule soon.

These classes are generally short, but they help address each instructor's strengths and weaknesses, and gives each of us an idea of what we need to work on in the next few days, weeks, etc.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taking teaching classes should be something that every instructor should look into. They can really help by giving you a diverse way to deal with how different individuals learn.
icon14.gif

I agree..The State of Ohio has a rule that you MUST attend and pass a week long instructor/teacher class BEFORE you teach in any police academy..THEN you have to do a week under the auspices under the man in charge of the hand to hand program REGARDLESS of what MA rank you may have..

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have not taken any official teaching classes.

I have taken classes on:

Personality types

Talking to people

Program Managing and Managing people

I have also been one of those who tutored and guided others in HS and also College. I was a grader and assistant in college and even covered a class or two for introduction classes.

I think many people would gain benfit from teaching classes. (* Including myself *)

Latest Discussions