Who is your favourite Martial Arts Movie Actor/Actress?

Who is the greatest Movie star!

• Jackie Chan

• Sammo Hung

• James Lew

• Angela Mao

• Jean Claude Van Damme

• Terry Fan

• Bruce Lee

• Bolo Yeung

• Jet Li

• Chuck Norris

• Michelle Yeoh

• Steven Seagal

• Donnie Yen

• Yuen Biao

• Lau Kar Fai (AKA Gordon Liu)

• Collin Chou

• Tony Jaa

• Brandon Lee

• Phillip Rhee

• Simon Rhee

Results are only viewable after voting.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michelle Yeoh's warmth, the intensity of her anger and grief, and her desperate ferocity in the combat scenes in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, put her in a class by herself. Watching her, it was hard to believe she wasn't her character, the courier and master fighter Yu Shu Lien.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst I was very tempted to vote for Jackie, for the sheer physical skill and commitement he brings to his roles, in the end I had to go for Michelle. Rob said it so well with regard to Crouching Hamster but I elaborate a little when I say that Jackie masters the comedic and Michelle mistresses the dramatic.

lowkickr

White Belt
Reaction score
I can't help myself, I have to go with Chuck Norris. All of those movies in the 80's man I loved them so. LOL. Good acting or bad, those movies always got me pumped.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anna Kournikova.
icon12.gif

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't help myself, I have to go with Chuck Norris. All of those movies in the 80's man I loved them so. LOL. Good acting or bad, those movies always got me pumped.

Me too!!

[fiction] Plus I know him personally. I met him on the set of Walker, Texas Ranger. He offered me a position as a stuntman and I gladly accepted. After a few conversations with him he gave me a total gym, the best piece of furniture I have ever owned. You can now see my upper body between 2 and 4a.m. on saturday nights doing infomercials to sell the total gym.[/fiction]

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me too!!

[fiction] Plus I know him personally. I met him on the set of Walker, Texas Ranger. He offered me a position as a stuntman and I gladly accepted. After a few conversations with him he gave me a total gym, the best piece of furniture I have ever owned. You can now see my upper body between 2 and 4a.m. on saturday nights doing infomercials to sell the total gym.[/fiction]

Please remove the fiction formatting code... I want the world I live in to be one where such things can actually happen! :lol:

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I voted for Jackie Chan, but who knows how big Brandon Lee would have been. I think he was really coming into his acting.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hate to say this, but Chuck Norris' technique was nothing to write home about. I was impressed as a 12 year old kid watching films; in retrospect I don't think he was that good.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
You mean they actually continued making martial arts movies after 'Enter the Dragon'? Why?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you know, most martial artists just cant act.

makes me a sad panda

And I know he isnt really a martial arts actor, but Chow Yung Fat's performance in Croutching tiger Hidden Dragon was really good

Kingindian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

makes me a sad panda

And I know he isnt really a martial arts actor, but Chow Yung Fat's performance in Croutching tiger Hidden Dragon was really good

yeah right...
and for ground fighter...i think people wont watch action movie with long
ground fighting scene

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

makes me a sad panda

Glad someone else had the same response.

The star-crossed chemistry between him and Michelle Yeoh in that movie was electrifying I thought, and infinitely saddening. But in one sense CTHD isn't a MA movie any more than Saturday Night Fever is a disco movie. SNF was about a guy becoming aware—very slowly—of how you have to treat people over whom you have power, even if it's only by virtue of your personal charisma, and what happens if you abuse that power. And CTHD was really about the horrible destruction that people motivated by amoral boredom can wreak on much better people around them (kind of like Les Liasons Dangereuses), and also the danger that people face who rigidly suppress their humanity out of concern for abstractions like propriety and chivalrous honor.

I guess it depends on what you consider to be the defining aspect of a 'martial arts movie'. Is MA action the whole end and goal of the movie? Or does something count in which MA is a crucial part of the background, but the theme is about broader and deeper aspects of human life?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
see thats why i consider CTHD a modern masterpiece.

Ignore the love story, it is an epic MA film

Ignore the MS, it is an epic love story

and Michele Yeoh's performance was incredible

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
see thats why i consider CTHD a modern masterpiece.

Ignore the love story, it is an epic MA film

Ignore the MS, it is an epic love story

and Michele Yeoh's performance was incredible

Yeah... that scene at the end—after two hours or so of stoic, grimly proper decorum—where, pleading with him to stay alive, she says, Pleave give me reason to hope! with that desperate intensity... really heartbreaking, and convincing in every way... it doesn't get much better than that...

Latest Discussions