Favourite Martial Arts Movie!

What's your favourite Martial Arts Movie?

• Rocky (1,2,3,4,5 or 6!)

• Karate Kid (1,2 or 3!)

• Enter The Dragon

• Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

• Good Guys Wear Black

• Five Fingers of Death

• Bloodsport

• Five Deadly Venoms

• Drunken Master

• Romeo Must Die

• Under Siege

• The Seven Samurai

• Kill Bill (1 or 2)

• Best of The Best

• Teenage Mutent Ninja Turtles The Movie

• Powerrangers The Movie

• Billy Jack

• The Kid with The Golden Arm

• Fists of Fury

• Hero

Results are only viewable after voting.

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Of the ones listed - Best of the Best

But not on list - The Last Dragon. 'sho nuff

kill bill

White Belt
Reaction score
If we talk about best cinema it would be Seven Samurai that's a masterpiece, but for the fighting secunces I will pick Crouching Tiger and Kill Bill

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Blood sport. Although I like "The Transporter" too (the original not Transporter 2) for the fight scenes. (Not that I didn't like Transporter 2, it's just that the fire hose bit was a little too unbelievable).

Josh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hero. I loved the use of color in that movie...and the music.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
wound up voting for the Seven Samurai, because Kurosawa deserves his credit and Toshiro Mifune is amazing.

I agree and voted the same.

The Last Samurai should have been mentioned.

There are a few Kurosawa films that should be mentioned as well.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Chose crouching tiger hidden dragon because i think it is an amazing tale with amazing themes. But i guess my favorite are probably american ninja, turtles movies(3 is sortof too lame but hey). I have to say i found kiss of the dragon to be real slick. I think i would have chosen fearless if it were on the list. But there are a couple of flicks i have yet to see.

j

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I voted for Karate Kid 1 off your list.

But my all time favorite is a tossup between Bad Day at Black Rock and the pilot movie for the TV show Kung Fu.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So many good movies to choose from, I don't know if I have one particular favorite, mine changes. I think today it would probably be Best of the Best, great movie....but on the other hand the Karate Kid 1 did inspire me a lot when it came out... Today I saw Ip Man for the first time - wow, that one should definitely be on the list, but I don't think it was out when the poll was created in 2008.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Sonny Chiba flicks??

NO Chinese Hercules? (Easily one of my favorites not on the list!)

No New One Armed Swordsman (Easily my all time favorite extra-gory Mandarin flick!)

No Hara Kiri? (Way easily my favorite Chanbara flick, "I cut off their topknots!" Good God!)

This poll offends me, too!

Choosing between "Enter the Dragon" and "Five Fingers of Death" is tough-I'm old enough that I was already studying martial arts before they came out, but I still roll them out and wathc them from time to time.

Enter the Dragon, I guess.....can't beat Bruce -though. Chinese Connection, originally titled Fists of Fury but switched with the other movie outside of Hong Kong-so, which Fists of Fury do you mean? The Big Boss or the one in Shanghai with the CHinese school against the Japanese school-that was the best

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I picked "Best of the Best", but I think for me it would have to be either "Fist of Legend" or "The Bodyguard from Beijing", both with Jet Li.

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
None of the above.

You don't have Fist of Legend, Drunken Master II, or The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, nor The Duellists or Last of the Mohicans.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (aka Shaolin Master Killer) is my write-in ballot. The Shaw Bros knew what they were doing when they made that.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sanjuro. The entire film is a treatise of proper application of powers, with a violent ronin (Toshiro Mifune) being cautioned against being a "naked blade", instead being told that the best swords remain in their scabbards, and are never dulled nor do they rust. The final duel is a masterpeice of tension, with a great degree of pathos added in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYbi7gKKvOo&NR=1

So, with this missing, I had to go with Shinchin no Samurai (The Seven Samurai).

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, with this missing, I had to go with Shinchin no Samurai (The Seven Samurai).

I assume you meant shichinin no samurai? :p

But yes, it is a great movie. I just finished watching it actually. I watched it a half hour at the time while on my home trainer. One thing I found interesting is that half the movie is nothing but people looking at each other in silence, conveying meaning without words.

The downside was that I could not understand anything despite knowing some basic Japanese (still at the stage of learning the real basics). I don't mean that I couldn't translate, I mean that I couldn't even make out the words. There were only 2 things I actually understood without the subtitles.

That said it is a superb movie, but I didn't put it down as my favorite. First of all, it is not a movie I can watch often (just like you don't eat filet mignon for every meal). Second, there were many good movies to choose from. So I decided to choose a movie that I could classify as being one that I could sit down for any given night. There were still a lot, but I picked Under Siege (1 and 2). Those are fairly decent, technique wise, and they were shot before Seagal got fat.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, I missed two letters.... and you waited until after I could edit, I notice, Bruno..... sneaky.

Yeah, I tend to go for realism, so that discounts, well, pretty much the entire list for me! But with Sugino Sensei of the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu being an advisor/choreographer for the films, and, well, being me, I had no other choice really!

Oh, and if you're going to pick up on my spelling, who's "Saegal"? Hmm? Oh, and no editing it after the fact, my friend, that's cheating.... I see what you're doing....

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saegal? what do you mean? ;)
You are right of course. I should have proofread before teasing you :)

Indeed, the realism in the sword fight is excellent.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kung Fu Hustle of course! :ultracool

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The best part of 7 samurai (apart from the use of silence) is imo the ending, when Kambei realizes that they lost, just like the bandits, and only the farmers won. This scene, where they watch life start over for the farmers, while standing lonesome in front of the graves of their brothers... that was pure genius.

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
There were still a lot, but I picked Under Siege (1 and 2). Those are fairly decent, technique wise, and they were shot before Seagal got fat.

He really did let himself go...and started to dress wierd. Honestly, the pool table scene in Above the Law is good stuff. Nice choreography there.

Latest Discussions