What MA style have you always wanted to try?

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm currently very much at the beginning of my training in TKD so I wont be training in anything else for a fair few years but I am still curious about other styles. I like the look of Hapkido as I think it would complement my TKD when I am proficient. I also liked the look of Krav Maga from the Human Weapon episode! I know that me and my girlfriend will probably have to move to a cheaper part of the UK due to rising house prices in a few years so I might have to change styles then.

Here's the question of the thread.....

I know a lot of MT members will already have racked up a good variety of experiences across different styles but is there still an art you've always wanted to try but haven't got round to yet? Is there an MA style you are planning to cross train in after a bit more experience? Whats next on your list??

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hehe, ho boy!

I have reached some comfort level with the basics of TKD, and that is familiar to me. I always think of everything else within that context. I cannot think with a beginner's mind about anything else. And, I am too old to try to start some new way, though I have in the past tried some other martial arts to get a cursory introduction, and those experiences have been very pleasant.

There's so many martial arts that interest me. If I were in the position to make this choice, and location didn't matter, I could choose any, the short list would have to be:

1) American Kenpo -- what I mean is just that -- very close to what Ed Parker put together.

2) Aikido

3) Hung-Ga

But, this would only be the SHORT list -- I could go on, because I always find these other martial arts to be interesting to me, but we have only one lifetime and other limited resources.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Muay Tai always looked fun, but IMHO that is a young man's art.

Only if you are looking at a career in the ring. When I did Muay Thai Ajarn Chai had just given a teaching certificate to a 60-something grandmother. A couple years later Ken Koenig - no spring chicken and retired on medical disability from a local police force - did the same. Nobody gets that piece of paper "just because".

Since you're mainlining martial arts at the moment :p check out one of the local Thai boxing gyms. There's a good one right next to The Place to Shoot and others closer to where you are. You've certainly got the stamina and strength to do it, and I'll bet you've got the mental toughness. You can learn the basics relatively quickly. It will do wonders for your overall fitness (especially anaerobic fitness) and martial arts skills. No time like the present.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Martial arts I'd like to try?

I really wish I had the money for some of the higher profile firearms training.

Fukien Dog Boxinghas always been fascinating. So have some of the older Japanese martial arts, Western MA and really good Taiji. I wish I had not gotten so sick when Kru Steve Wilson was still teaching Krabi Krabong here in Portland. Some of the old old Persian and Turkish martial traditions are fascinating as are the fighting systems that came out of the Soviet Union.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well the one I always wanted to try was Xingyiquan and I have tried it and liked it… a lot :EG:.

More recently Zhaobao Taijiquan and Tongbeiquan...oh and Bajiquan....and a Yin Yang Baguazhang and oh then there’s..... Basically just about every CMA I haven't yet tried but I can't do them all.

But I guess if you line them all up and said pick one (of those I haven't tried) I would likely pick Zhaobao..... or Bajiquan..... or Tongbeiquan.....or.....um did I mention Hung Ga and White Crane....and ooooo REAL Changquan :uhyeah:

Seriously it would be a toss up between 4; Zhaobao, Baji, Tongbeiquan and Yin Yang Baguazhang. It would all come down to the Sifu of each and that is the ONLY way I could make the decision.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you know I always wanted to try Tai Chi, but I need to be a little smaller I think.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
you know I always wanted to try Tai Chi, but I need to be a little smaller I think.

There's a lot of good Taiji players who appear very prosperous and able to survive minor famines. Your legs will have to be even stronger and more limber, but that's all good anyway.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Teller mentioned Dog boxing which is a real cool art.
From what I have seen clips of and read about it has a large amount of ground work and interesting break dancing moves.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd still like to try Aikido and while I was a uke for a close friend on this forum I did like a lot aspects of EPAK as well.

OP
myusername

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I would like to learn Mizong (lost track) you can see the Bagua in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bCBSYLvnk4&feature=related

I would like to learn Liu he ba fa as well.

That video looks very impressive, amazing leg work! Chinese martial arts are awesome.

I'm really enjoying reading peoples responses to this thread. People are mentioning martial arts I've never heard of before. I'm going to youtube a few of Xue Shengs favourites and I am keen to to have a look at Dog Boxing!!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being a TKD guy, I've always wanted to take a seriuos look at Hapkido. I've done it a bit, but under anyone who really knew what they were doing.

All things being equal, Capoeria (sp?) would be my next choice.

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ever since watching the Kung Fu TV show as a kid, it is one art I always wanted to try. Also, after some TV specials Krav Maga looks like something I would like to try, but I need to get to the top of one mountain at a time.

-Gary

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I allready went this route sort of.
When I was in TKD I became expossed to real Japanese based Jujutsu and it took me years to find a Dojo that taught it.

I always wanted to do FMA, well now I do.

I was interested in Kuk Sul Won and by late Sempai was a black belt in it and I got to learn a few things form it.

I would like to train with Moni Aizik of Commando Krav Maga, as I have a freind who has trained with him and came away with alot. I like the fact that he is also a Judoka/Jujutsuka as well.

Blauer might be cool as well.

In always wanted to do Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

Latest Discussions