Actor doesn't like southerners...but see my movie anyway...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if this statement by one of the actors in "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," doesn't say "come and see my big budget summer movie," I don't know what does...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/06/20/Abe-Lincoln-Star-South-Racist-Homophobic

Growing up in the South, three things you grow up [sic]: homophobic, sexist, and racist. It’s just innate and in your blood. Growing up and going to North Carolina School of the Arts and Juilliard, a lot of my friends were gay. So that’s something that I wanted to deal with and move past in my own personal life—that homophobia that I was raised with and that was prevalent in the community I grew up in.

Sooo...when is hollywood going to discuss the idea of not offending the people you want to shell out 12 bucks for your movie with their actors? Here is the articles author in response to this actor's belief about "all" southerners...

So progressive and tolerant, isn't he -- except for, you know, Southerners, who are ALL bad, ALL bigoted, and ALL "isty."
As someone who has spent over a decade living in the South, I can tell you first hand that Mackie is a stone-cold liar.
I've spent decades in the Midwest, nearly nine-years in Los Angeles, and eleven in North Carolina. And if I've learned anything, it's that people are people and that Americans as a whole are shockingly tolerant and able to live together. Incidents of bigotry are so rare in this country they lead the news, and that includes the dreaded South.
I have found one segment of the population, however, who are a bunch of intolerant bigots, and that's the Anthony Mackie types -- the bubbled, elitist, wealthy leftists who lash out at entire swathes of people in order to burnish their own "tolerant" credentials.
They’re also so pathetically ignorant, they don’t even see the irony in doing so. And neither does the sycophant media supposedly there to interview them.

Sooo...all you southern, racist, homophobic and sexist types, which he apparenly feels is the majority of you, his movie opens soon, make sure your first in line to shell out 12 bucks a head for the chance to see this wonderful actor strut his stuff on the big screen.

You know Hollywood, this is the internet age, where statements like this go around the country in the blink of an eye. If someone is sitting on the fence between shelling out 12 bucks plus more for snacks, and waiting for Redbox, netflix or cable, you might want to talk to your stars about their public comments...you know, since they represent your product to your customers. Sure, not everyone is a racist, sexist, homophobic southerner, but there are a lot more southerners who aren't racist, sexist, and homophobic who might think you are insulting them. These southerners might just decide to not spend that 12+ bucks to see that movie. The people who like other Americans, and don't like them being insulted might decide to stay home as well. Just something to keep in mind. Ask Tom Hanks, and that actress from Jonah Hex how insulting your fans works wonders for your career.

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
You do know that Anthony Mackie was talking about himself there, right?

"Growing up in the south three things you grow up [sic]: homophobic, sexist, and racist. It’s just innate and in your blood. Growing up and going to North Carolina School of the Arts and Juilliard, a lot of my friends were gay. So that’s something that I wanted to deal with and move past in my own personal life—that homophobia that I was raised with and that was prevalent in the community I grew up in.,

I mean, he was born and grew up in New Orleans-and could easily have said those same things about the African-American community-as well as the south.

How many true southerners are going to see a movie with Lincoln as the hero, anyway? :lfao:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Come on Elder! You surely don't expect a consideration of context and intent to mar the output of that font of ... erm ... font of ... well ... ah heck it's a font of something ... that is breitbart.com?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Come on Elder! You surely don't expect a consideration of context and intent to mar the output of that font of ... erm ... font of ... well ... ah heck it's a font of something ... that is breitbart.com?

Yes, he's one of those self-loathing Southerners!

Sooo...all you southern, racist, homophobic and sexist types, which he apparenly feels is the majority of you, his movie opens soon, make sure your first in line to shell out 12 bucks a head for the chance to see this wonderful actor strut his stuff on the big screen.

:lfao: just....:lfao:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Font of verkrampte vacuousness?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So, the gist of the article is that the author is offended, so no one should go see the movie? Sounds hippy dippy to me.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once again guys, you're letting the truth get in the way of some Brietbart "reporting." I mean, you can't do that, since the truth doesn't support the narrative that is trying to be told. What if all reporters used that truth and context in reporting?!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once again guys, you're letting the truth get in the way of some Brietbart "reporting." I mean, you can't do that, since the truth doesn't support the narrative that is trying to be told. What if all reporters used that truth and context in reporting?!

In short, attack the message, not the messenger. It is entertaining how even some of you who, frankly, I would have expected better from, resort to ad hominem attacks on any Brietbart reporting....

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what to say. If the message was worth engaging with you know that I would, whether I was for or against it.

I have said it so many times it even bores me that you right wing fellows do yourself no favours when it comes to credibility by relying on such sources almost to the exclusion of all else. It takes a lot to debase the already debased currency of politics but sites like that one manage it.

I know you get very upset when I phrase it like this but I really do not mean the insult you take it to mean when I say that it is child-like politics in some parts and sulky-teenager politics in others. Occasionally a prominent 'nail' gets hit on the head (and I say so when I see it) but that's bound to happen when the site slams all nails in the same way.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When one section of the media, i.e., the much maligned, blogosphere are the ONLY ones reporting on some things, doesn't that indicate a problem with the rest of the media? For instance, fast and furious, barely news outside of the "right" blogosphere, the US Government aided and abetted in handing guns to drug cartels, at the cost of Brian Terry's life, but, if you only watch MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, you wouldn't know that...

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:nods: Aye, there is certainly truth in the fact that those that own the controlling interests in the big media outlets are prone to direct the 'story' the way they want it to go. Indeed, over here in Britain at present we have a full blown enquiry going on into the behind-the-scenes activities of certain large scale media moguls.

{Google the Leveson Enquiry if you've not heard of it already}

But there is a difference between a source being an independent one and a source being a reliable one. For some years I have much enjoyed listening to one of my favourite American political 'ranters', Alex Jones {http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Jones_(radio_host)}. I am sure you know of him. Some of what he has to say is actually founded in verifiable facts but the journey he takes those facts on is not always one that gels closely with reality. So, much as I applaud his ability to hold forth with passion and gusto, without substantial supporting information I am not disposed to base my choices on what to believe on what he says. For, just as the site noted above is always going to twist something into the shape required to say awful things about the Democrats, so Mr. Jones will shape all that he sees into the cloth that has the Military-Industrial Complex woven into it's fabric.

Here's one of his you might find entertaining:

http://www.hotindienews.com/2010/07/19/1028193

[yt]haWxh94IgBI[/yt]

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When one section of the media, i.e., the much maligned, blogosphere are the ONLY ones reporting on some things, doesn't that indicate a problem with the rest of the media? For instance, fast and furious, barely news outside of the "right" blogosphere, the US Government aided and abetted in handing guns to drug cartels, at the cost of Brian Terry's life, but, if you only watch MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, you wouldn't know that...

Not knowing who Brian Terry was I Googled him, there's plenty of articles from the news sources you say don't cover the story on the Google list. Go onto any of the sites you the companies you mention, I did and you will find numerous articles about Brian Terry. Even the BBC run the story, this is their latest on it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18528798

You can take the news to the people but if they don't want to absorb it there's nothing you can do. Ignorance is often a choice, you can't always blame the news companies.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
In short, attack the message, not the messenger. It is entertaining how even some of you who, frankly, I would have expected better from, resort to ad hominem attacks on any Brietbart reporting....

ROFL Seriously?! ANY Brietbart reporting is immediatley suspect. Not because they are right wing, but because of thier history. The networks you mention get it wrong occasionally, sometimes they make corrections and sometimes they don't, but I don't see them starting from a place of deceipt like that site. So yes, if you use a notoriously unreliable source as a base for your attacks on a particular person or industry, I am going to call you out on it. Don't like it? Get a better, more reliable source. At least get a secondary source to support the first.

Seems this story itself is about attacking a person.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many true southerners are going to see a movie with Lincoln as the hero, anyway? :lfao:

Well, any movie with Lincoln as a hero is fiction in my book....this one at least is obvious about it. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Somehow I just can't take any discussion associated with the movie.... "Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter".... seriously.... Now... if it were... "George Washington, Werewolf Warrior"....that would be different :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think you can ad hom an organization. By definition, an ad hominem is an attack of the person. Or did you feel WC_lun attacked you personally? Genuine question. If you felt attacked, I can understand although I frankly don't see it.

WC_Lun asserts that Breitbart is biased in the same way you assert just a few posts down in Post 10 that other major news sources are biased. Are you resorting to ad hominem attacks on MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC and any other news outlet that doesn't have an X in the name?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't care about "ignorant southerners". God knows ignorance is an inexhaustible resource everywhere these days. Especially coming from actors, "celebrities", and especially, political talking heads. Besides, a movie about Abe Lincoln hunting vampires? I mean come on. Why not Abe Lincoln, Early American MMA Champion. At least there's a bit of truth to that.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that I am from the South, I love Honest Abe and I hate mean people....

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Well, if this statement by one of the actors in "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," doesn't say "come and see my big budget summer movie," I don't know what does...
Sooo...when is hollywood going to discuss the idea of not offending the people you want to shell out 12 bucks for your movie with their actors? Here is the articles author in response to this actor's belief about "all" southerners...
Sooo...all you southern, racist, homophobic and sexist types, which he apparenly feels is the majority of you, his movie opens soon, make sure your first in line to shell out 12 bucks a head for the chance to see this wonderful actor strut his stuff on the big screen. Sure, not everyone is a racist, sexist, homophobic southerner, but there are a lot more southerners who aren't racist, sexist, and homophobic who might think you are insulting them. These southerners might just decide to not spend that 12+ bucks to see that movie. .

So, to recap, and reiterate. In response to this sort of ("sort of," int that it's not a question) a question:

Your first lead was playing a gay artist struggling with coming out in Brother to Brother. That’s a pretty challenging role.

The actor responded thusly:

Growing up in the South, three things you grow up [sic]: homophobic, sexist, and racist. It’s just innate and in your blood. Growing up and going to North Carolina School of the Arts and Juilliard, a lot of my friends were gay. So that’s something that I wanted to deal with and move past in my own personal life—that homophobia that I was raised with and that was prevalent in the community I grew up in.

Which really could be read, without the sic, as "Growing up in the south, three things I grew up (to be):homophobic, sexist and racist."-especiallyu i light of the end of the answer, and the question itself: he recognized he was homophobic, that he'd moved from a community where homophobia, sexism and racism were expected ingrained behaviors, and now had to deal with those behaviors in another community that was more diverse and accepting of viewpoints, and chose to change to accomodate them, and that one step on that, or the product of that, was playing a gay man coming out to his family (to get back to the question)

Seems like another Breitbart "Shirley Sharrod" sort of moment, only without the firing.

It must be very gratifying for the morons that swallow and regurgitate this swill to see that Breitbart's "Happy Warriors" will keep his stupid marching on.:rolleyes:

Mine eyes have seen the story, of the blogger's misplaced word,
he is distorting the facts to fit his own misguided world,
where "the left" does all that's wrong, and the right gets the last word,
his stupid's marching on....
:lfao:

Latest Discussions