Who is against this?

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry; I was discussing reality.
Sean
I know, this would make a perfect world but that will never happen. In the mean time in my opinion if the TV's and other things cost the tax payers less than Im for it, if they help control the population while also keeping gaurds safe that again Im for it. But the fact that we spend all this money to keep inmate comfortable in prison while we have homeless people living on the streets is kind of rediculous

B

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know, this would make a perfect world but that will never happen. In the mean time in my opinion if the TV's and other things cost the tax payers less than Im for it, if they help control the population while also keeping gaurds safe that again Im for it. But the fact that we spend all this money to keep inmate comfortable in prison while we have homeless people living on the streets is kind of rediculous

B
Funny how the public votes for more prisons, but doesn't vote to feed kids. Why do you suppose that is?
Sean

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How much more taxes are you willing to pay to ensure that criminals are properly tortured to your liking?
Sean

Stick them on an island far from anywhere with no means to get off the island and they can pick how they torture each other. If any manage to make it off the island and to the civilized world, then they can be dealt with "for less than the cost of a cup of coffee".

How much taxes you think that would cost?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How much more taxes are you willing to pay to ensure that criminals are properly tortured to your liking?
Sean

Whatever it costs..Maybe when word hits the streets about how terrible it is the whole "Jail-aint-so-bad" attitude might cease and force adults to think twice about comitting an act that will land them there..No, it's NOT a cure all and it won't magically decrease the crime rate overnight but I believe it will help..

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever it costs..Maybe when word hits the streets about how terrible it is the whole "Jail-aint-so-bad" attitude might cease and force adults to think twice about comitting an act that will land them there..No, it's NOT a cure all and it won't magically decrease the crime rate overnight but I believe it will help..

ditto...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A former inmate told me he was charged $350 for a $60 TV and why, thats how.

Ok...and you're using this analogy for every prison in the world????

The idea of the head set is that you are in your cell by yourself, not bothering you celly, as opposed to a large rec room with one show on in a room full of violent criminals.

Oddly enough I saw inmates where I worked, that had all those things available to them and there were many times when they'd be right there in the day room with everyone else.

And, I'm sorry, but statistics show you are wrong. I don't know what else to tell you.
Sean

Show me these stats.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sean
More? How about less? Pay me about 1 million a year and I will torture the inmates myself. Im very imaginative and I garuntee thats far less than what we pay now. In fact what are there 1 billion people in the US, say everyone paid an even amount of taxes to support my salary the would be $.001 from every person. Wouldnt you say that would be worth it to make sure that these criminals are getting what they deserve?

B

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sean

Tortured??? Are you saying that limiting the things they have is torture?? I'm sorry, but if they can't do the time, don't do the crime! They have access to phone calls, they have access to medical attention, including dental, they have access to a shower, they have access to TV, they have access to 3 square meals a day, they have access to visitors, they have access to councelors, they have access to the prison store, they have access to laundry, they have the chance to work in the prison, such as in the kitchen, and they have rec time, both indoor and out. Oh they also have access to weight equipment. So tell me Sean...exactly how are they being abused, or in your exact words tortured???

Mike

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What about locking them in a cell by themselves for most of the day, except when small groups of them are allowed out to eat? They can socialize for an hour or two, exercise to radio calethenics piped into the cells but otherwise be locked down. This would also probably cut down on rapes in prison as well as the schools that teach criminals to be better criminals and the violence against the staff.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What about locking them in a cell by themselves for most of the day, except when small groups of them are allowed out to eat? They can socialize for an hour or two, exercise to radio calethenics piped into the cells but otherwise be locked down. This would also probably cut down on rapes in prison as well as the schools that teach criminals to be better criminals and the violence against the staff.

Personally, I'd like to see this all the time, but here in CT., this is only at the Max. security prison. 23 hr. lockdown, whenever an inmate is taken from his cell, his hands are cuffed, feet are shackled and there are at least 2 CO's with the inmate. Keep in mind that at this particular facility, this is where the worst of the worst are kept. Inmates that have assaulted staff, constant violations, etc.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don, here is a link to the prison that I was referring to.

Prisons in Connecticut use modern equipment to ensure maximum security.
Northern Correctional Institution is a level 5 maximum security prison - the highest level of security in the Connecticut Corrections system. It is a special management unit that deals with problem inmates brought here from throughout the state's prison system.
On any given day, the gray walls and green cell doors inside the Northern facility look exactly like the day before or the day after. This dismal place is home to people who chose to commit crimes more serious than most of us can comprehend.
Level 5 inmates have assaulted staff or other inmates, and are a threat to the general prison population. The facility is also home to Death Row inmates awaiting capital punishment, and includes a close-custody gang program. Gangs, whether formed on the outside or inside, are considered high-risk groups requiring special security attention. The facility includes a chronic discipline unit which houses numerous problem inmates. The goal of the unit is to change their behavior and return them to the general prison population.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike,
What is the reason for it not being used (or a similar system) in other prisons? One prisoner in a cell with a roll up bed. Tables brought into the central area and food served there while all the guards watch. Then repeat per cell block.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike,
What is the reason for it not being used (or a similar system) in other prisons? One prisoner in a cell with a roll up bed. Tables brought into the central area and food served there while all the guards watch. Then repeat per cell block.

In CT there are 3 jails and the rest are prisons. The jails are basically the intake facilities. In other words, they are a short stay place. The other facilities are long term. They use the Level 1-5 system, 5 obviously being the worst.

Why is this not used all over?? I honestly don't know. I worked in the jail setting, so that was pretty much all I knew, for the time I worked there. They ate in the day rooms and then returned to the cell until rec time. A total of 51 inmates to one guard. Walking down the hallway, I was outnumbered 17-1. There were 3 halls, each with 17.

IMHO, I think it would be in the best interest of the staff, to have things run like the article I linked.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Question that I hope someone can answer....

Is it true that the courts have ruled that it is their right to have a television in their cell with cable if they want?
My understanding is that it's not a right -- it's a privilege.

But, as far as I know, you can't compell a prisoner to work. Let's see... If I don't work, I don't get dinner and the mortgage company ain't gonna be understanding about keeping the roof over my head. Prisoner don't work... He gets 3 squares (if bland & boring) and keeps his roof.

Granted, the door locks on the wrong side... and you might find out that you're Bubba Ray's dancing partner, like it or not...

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stick them on an island far from anywhere with no means to get off the island and they can pick how they torture each other. If any manage to make it off the island and to the civilized world, then they can be dealt with "for less than the cost of a cup of coffee".

How much taxes you think that would cost?
Only America's dignity.
sean

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok...and you're using this analogy for every prison in the world????
No I said the Northwest.

Oddly enough I saw inmates where I worked, that had all those things available to them and there were many times when they'd be right there in the day room with everyone else.
Humans are social creatures.

Show me these stats.
No, you look em up. I took these classes about ten years ago; I'll trust things haven't changed since they showed them to me. Plus I couldn't begin to do a successfull search.:)

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My understanding is that it's not a right -- it's a privilege.

But, as far as I know, you can't compell a prisoner to work. Let's see... If I don't work, I don't get dinner and the mortgage company ain't gonna be understanding about keeping the roof over my head. Prisoner don't work... He gets 3 squares (if bland & boring) and keeps his roof.

Granted, the door locks on the wrong side... and you might find out that you're Bubba Ray's dancing partner, like it or not...
They make you work. Secondly in the Northwest the guards tend to frown on forced sodomy. I thought the voting public did too. what is your take? rape good or bad.
Sean

Latest Discussions