Any Thoughts to this article???

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TO THOSE OF YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH JOE ARPAIO, HE IS THE MARICOPA
COUNTY SHERIFF ( ARIZONA ) AND HE KEEPS GETTING ELECTED OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

These are some of the reasons why:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio created the "tent city jail" to save Arizona from
spending tens of million of dollars on another expensive prison complex.

He has jail meals down to 40 cents a serving and charges the inmates for
them.

He banned smoking and 'rude' magazines in the jails, and took away their
weightlifting equipment and cut off all but "G" movies. He says: "they're in
jail to pay a debt to society not to build muscles so they can assault
innocent people when they leave."

He started chain gangs to use the inmates to do free work on county and city
projects and save taxpayer's money.

Then he started chain gangs for women so he wouldn't get sued for
discrimination.

He took away cable TV until he found out there was a federal court order
that required cable TV for jails. So he hooked up the cable TV again but
only allows the Disney channel and the weather channel.

When asked why the weather channel he replied: "so these morons will know
how hot it's gonna be while they are working on my chain gangs."

He cut off coffee because it has zero nutritional value and is therefore a waste of taxpayer money *(by eliminating the estimated 5,000 cups of coffee served daily for 5,400 inmates, it was expected the county would save $94,158 a year.) When the inmates complained, he told them, "This isn't the Ritz/Carlton. If you don't like it, don't come back."

He also bought the Newt Gingrich lecture series on US history that he pipes
into the jails. When asked by a reporter if he had any lecture series by a
Democrat, he replied that a democratic lecture series that actually tells
the truth for a change would be welcome and that it might even explain why
95% of the inmates were in his jails in the first place.

With temperatures being even hotter than usual in Phoenix (116 degrees just
set a new record for June 2nd), the Associated Press reports: About 2,000
inmates living in a barbed- wire-surrounded tent encampment at the Maricopa
County Jail have been given permission to strip down to their
government-issued pink boxer shorts.

On Wednesday, hundreds of men wearing pink boxer shorts were chatting in the
tents, where temperatures reached 128 degrees. "This is hell. It feels like
we live in a furnace," said Ernesto Gonzales, an inmate for 2
years with 10 more to go. "It's inhumane."

Joe Arpaio, who makes his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna sandwiches,
is not one bit sympathetic. "Criminals should be punished for their crimes -
not live in luxury until it's time for parole, only to go out and commit
more crimes so they can come back in to live on taxpayers money and enjoy
things many taxpayers can't afford to have for themselves."

Wednesday he told all the inmates who were complaining of the heat in the
tents: "It's between 120 to 130 degrees in Iraq and our soldiers are living
in tents too, and they have to walk all day in the sun, wearing full
battle gear and get shot at, and they have not committed any crimes, so shut
your damned mouths!"

Way to go, Sheriff! If all prisons were like yours there would be a lot less
crime and we would not be in the current position of running out of prison spaces.

If you agree, pass this on.
If not, just delete it.

Sheriff Joe was just re-elected Sheriff in Maricopa County , Arizona

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He even managed to get himself on Penn & Tellers ********! I think it was the War against Drugs episode.

The inmates where living in tents, and marching around on chains. He apparently wanted to do random stop and search of cars as well, but someone informed him this was illegal.

He definately had a very serious supperiority thing going for him.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have the crime stats for that county from before and after sheriff took office? I'm curious to know if it's the results that keep getting him re-elected or the celebrity. He has, in my opinion, a fairly decent idea if handled properly. Quite frankly, I'm a little tired of footing the bill for criminals to get their degree while in prison with my tax money while I'm busting my hump trying to get overtime to help my wife through college. I've seen a couple of documentaries on this guy and even I tend to think that his system needs some tweeking. He does have a great point though...it's their time to pay a debt TO society, not an all expense paid vacation FROM society. Ok, now that I've said that, someone go ahead and begin yelling about rehabilitation vs punishment in our judicial system.

The sheriff is a controversial person to be sure. Heck, he's even caused me to have arguments with myself a time or two.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, punishing criminals, what a concept. I love it, making someone suffer consequences for what they do. I'd love to see the whole criminal justice system adopt his tactics and become a penal system again, instead of a correctional or rehabilitation system.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your damned mouths!"
This particular quote deserves some type of award. No ****, Mr. Arpaio, how absolutely to the point. I would totally support this man as the Canadian Minister of Justice. Move North and enter politics, Mr. Arpaio.

*applause*

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm surprised. Several posts already and none arguing that he's a monster. I'm waiting for it though.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He is. TOugh on criminals is good, but it can be taken too far.

He took away cable TV until he found out there was a federal court order that required cable TV for jails. So he hooked up the cable TV again but

AS I mentioned above he also wanted to set up a random stop and drug search program on the highways (unconstitutional)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio#Controversy_and_criticism

He's also had a few inmates under his suppervision die under misterious circumstances. He's been accused of torture, beating inmates to death, entrapment, having his deputies engage in sexual act as part of stings,

Amnesty international has put out a report on his facility: http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/engAMR510511997?open&of=eng-2am

It seems his "tough on criminals" attitude doesn't extend to himself and his deputies. This is not a max security prison either, they live in tents. One of the people allegidely beaten to death by his deputies was a blind man, serving time for shoplifting.

He's a bully with power and a pink underwear fetish.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
If not, just delete it.

I agree with everything he is doing except:
1. Only letting them watch G movies. I'd rather they be watching action movies than engaging in other "activities" you would engage in while in jail.
2. Piping the Newt Gingrich lecture series on US history into the jails is innapropriate. Inmates are there to be rehabilitated (sic), not brainwashed.
3. Making them live OUTSIDE in ARAZONA is cruel. Doing time does not mean getting heat stroke.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree that his tactics are a bit extreme...thats why I like him.

Soldiers (like me) raised their right hand and volunteered, either directly or indirectly, to go to Iraq and wear armor in the 120 degree heat.

Criminals volunteered to live in tents, wear pink underwear and watch disney when they got caught not living up to the same legal standard that others are held to.

It's all about choices. Right now, I choose to go get a coffee (without any nutritional value) and another Krispy Kreme donut (which has even less nutritional value) before I watch the movie of my choice on my new big screen...

Freedom rocks! Thanks be to God and my brothers in arms.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
===========
Mod. Note:

Thread moved to Study.

- Jonathan Randall
- MT Moderator

OP
bcbernam777

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here is some more info on this guy:

Controversy and criticism

Many feel that Sheriff Arpaio's actions are based less on a desire to serve the public and to lower crime, but on demagoguery and grandstanding that hurt the public welfare. Amnesty International issued a report critical of the treatment of inmates in Maricopa County facilities [3].
Criticism has also resulted due to lawsuits filed against the sheriff’s office by family members of inmates killed in jail custody and in highspeed pursuits involving deputies. The lawsuits have cost Maricopa County more than $13.7 million in settlement claims.
One of his most criticized decisions was the construction of a tent city that houses both men and women. Some inmates in the facility claimed that they were mistreated and that forcing prisoners to spend their time outside during an Arizona summer, where the temperature can reach nearly 120F is cruel and unnecessary. In an effort to institute equality between the men and women prison sentences, he created an all-female chain gang.

[edit] The Scott Norberg case

One major controversy includes the 1996 death of inmate Scott Norberg while he was in custody. Norberg was arrested for chasing two young girls in Mesa, Arizona. Reportedly high on methamphetamines, Norberg was accused of attacking the jail detention officers who were trying to restrain him. In the subsequent struggle and restraint, he died. According to an investigation by Amnesty International, Norberg was already handcuffed and face down when officers dragged him from his cell and placed him in a restraint chair with a towel covering his face. His death, according to the Maricopa County medical examiner, was due to "positional asphyxia". County detention officers were acquitted of wrongdoing. [4]
Norberg’s parents filed a lawsuit against Joe Arpaio and his office. The lawsuit was settled for $8.25 million (USD). Arpaio has consistently defended his officers' actions and the jail procedures and neither the Justice Department nor the FBI, which investigated the allegations, filed charges. [5]

[edit] The Brian Crenshaw case

Brian Crenshaw was a blind inmate allegedly beaten into a coma by guards working under Arpaio. Crenshaw suffered injuries that included a perforated intestine and a broken neck. He later died at a local hospital. When asked about the incident, Arpaio insisted, "The man fell off a bunk." [6]

[edit] The Fountain Hills prank calls case

During April, 2004, Arpaio became involved in more controversy when he accused the West Bridgewater, Massachusetts Police Department of being unprofessional over their handling of surveillance tapes from an AT&T store that showed a suspect making prank calls to several restaurants. The calls instructed restaurant managers to strip-search female customers — minors included. Several managers were arrested as a result. Arpaio believed that the suspect in the tapes from West Bridgewater might be connected to a similar case in Fountain Hills, Arizona. In response to Arpaio's comments, West Bridgewater Sheriff Raymund S. Rogers was quoted as saying "I think he's mad that our detectives just happen to be better than his detectives". [7]

[edit] James Saville

James Saville was arrested in 1999 for attempting to murder Joe Arpaio. A jury decided that officers from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department had entrapped Saville and found him not guilty [8].

[edit] Torture

Arpaio has been accused of allowing the torture of inmates at his jails in a documentary from Channel 4 in Britain Channel 4. He has always insisted this is not the case, ignoring even medical evidence from inmates deaths.

[edit] Illegal immigrants

In 2005, Arizona passed a law making it a felony, punishable by up to 2 years in jail, to smuggle someone across the border. Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas has issued a legal opinion that those being smuggled can be considered co-conspirators to the smuggling and thusly can be charged under the same law. Under this opinion, Arpaio has instructed his deputies and members of his civilian posse to round up and arrest suspected illegal aliens. Arpaio said to Fox News, "My message is clear: If you come here and I catch you, you're going straight to jail. [...] I'm not going to turn these people over to federal authorities so they can have a free ride back to Mexico. I'll give them a free ride to my jail." [9] To date, Arpaio has arrested at least 263 people under this program. [10]
The county attorney's legal opinion is being challenged in court. Many critics, including two of the co-authors of the Arizona anti-smuggling law, claim that Thomas and Arpaio are misusing the statute, which was meant only for human smugglers and not for migrants who are being smuggled. [11] Judge Thomas O'Toole ruled in June, 2006 that the sheriff's interpretation is correct, and the migrants can be tried as co-conspirators. However, he later ordered that several migrants be released from custody due to lack of evidence against them. Several other migrants have pleaded guilty and received probation and deportation to Mexico. So far, none of the conspiracy cases have been tried by a jury. [12]

[edit] Prostitution sting

Sheriff Arpaio has been criticized for allowing his deputies and posse members to engage in sex acts during an undercover prostitution "sting". In November, 2003, Sheriff's deputies arrested over 70 people for prostitution and solicitation. The officers arrested alleged prostitutes and their customers in more than 30 homes and 10 massage parlors in the Phoenix area. Records indicated that several of the officers disrobed, fondled the breasts and genitals of the alleged prostitutes, and allowed their penises to be touched during the operation. The Maricopa County Attorney's Office stated that the Sheriff's office had gone too far in allowing this behavior, and 60 of the cases were thrown out. Several of the male customers in the case were prosecuted, however. [13]

I find him quite interesting, he obviously is eliciting a quite valuble response from his methods, however i would say that there is a line to be drawn with respect to the distinction of incarceration for the purposes of punishment, and incarceration for other more sadistic means. Of course the charges leveled at him on the whole appear hearsay, but i believe no civilised society should condone torture.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Altho' I am strongly in favour of having a penal system that acts in some small way as a deterent to crime, the system that this fellow has put in place is not one that should be tolerated in any society that proclaims itself to be in favour of democracy and 'civilised' values.

It's a set-up that's ripe for abuse and by the sounds of it that is just what is happening.

Whilst I can empathise with the stance of those who have spoken in favour of this approach (frustration with a legal system that does not seem to deter or even punish the guilty), it is plain that Sheriff Arpaio's methods are those that should not belong in a 'Western Democracy'. The dangers of even tacitly approving of such a state if affairs are apparent ... does "arbeit macht frei" ring any bells?.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
crime and we would not be in the current position of running out of prison spaces.

I would love to see the claim presented here validated. However, I think if the evidence were examined, the supposition would be proven false. The author of the article is presenting an agenda, not evidence.

An eaiser way to eliminate the dwindling prison space is to eliminate mandatory sentencing; especially in non-violent drug offenses.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Controversy and criticism

Many feel that Sheriff Arpaio's actions are based less on a desire to serve the public and to lower crime, but on demagoguery and grandstanding that hurt the public welfare. Amnesty International issued a report critical of the treatment of inmates in Maricopa County facilities [3].
Criticism has also resulted due to lawsuits filed against the sheriff’s office by family members of inmates killed in jail custody and in highspeed pursuits involving deputies. The lawsuits have cost Maricopa County more than $13.7 million in settlement claims.
One of his most criticized decisions was the construction of a tent city that houses both men and women. Some inmates in the facility claimed that they were mistreated and that forcing prisoners to spend their time outside during an Arizona summer, where the temperature can reach nearly 120F is cruel and unnecessary. In an effort to institute equality between the men and women prison sentences, he created an all-female chain gang.

I think this has already been dealt with. A lot of people spend time outside in the desert at high temperatures. Some of those are there because they choose to serve their country. The constitution prevents cruel and unusual punishment. Setting them outside does not seem to be geared toward punishing them, but to save money. If he put them in a heated room that would be showing an effort to cause them misery. But many people can't afford to live in air conditioned comfort and manage to get by. Has anyone died as a result of being in the tent city in summer?

Of course, the criminals will complain. A good many of the people behind bars will complain about everything they can. The important thing seems to be do those complaints have merit?

[edit] The Scott Norberg case

One major controversy includes the 1996 death of inmate Scott Norberg while he was in custody. Norberg was arrested for chasing two young girls in Mesa, Arizona. Reportedly high on methamphetamines, Norberg was accused of attacking the jail detention officers who were trying to restrain him. In the subsequent struggle and restraint, he died. According to an investigation by Amnesty International, Norberg was already handcuffed and face down when officers dragged him from his cell and placed him in a restraint chair with a towel covering his face. His death, according to the Maricopa County medical examiner, was due to "positional asphyxia". County detention officers were acquitted of wrongdoing. [4]
Norberg’s parents filed a lawsuit against Joe Arpaio and his office. The lawsuit was settled for $8.25 million (USD). Arpaio has consistently defended his officers' actions and the jail procedures and neither the Justice Department nor the FBI, which investigated the allegations, filed charges. [5]

So, the medical examiner said that the guy died due to circumstances that were not the fault of the department, but amenesty international is not going to be satisfied with anything other than their conviction. Since many innocent orginizations pay a lot of money just to make bad lawsuits go away, I think we need to look at what the medical examiner said and remember that it is not the accusation but rather the facts that are important.

[edit] The Brian Crenshaw case

Brian Crenshaw was a blind inmate allegedly beaten into a coma by guards working under Arpaio. Crenshaw suffered injuries that included a perforated intestine and a broken neck. He later died at a local hospital. When asked about the incident, Arpaio insisted, "The man fell off a bunk." [6]

And again, an accusation is being made, but if there is any proof to them they are not mentioned.

I could go on with the other cases, but so far it seems clear that some folks have been trying to just make as many accusations against this man to see if they can convince people based on the number. But looking at the substance, I do not see anything to give credence to them. It is easy to accuse someone, harder to make the actual case. So barring a lot more evidence, I am not willing to tear down this man based on a lot of accusations not backed by convictions or facts brought against him by people with their own agendas.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't speak for the prison system in other states, but I can speak for it in the State of CT, because I worked in it and saw what it was like. I'll go down the list below and compare what this guy is doing to CT's prison system.

TO THOSE OF YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH JOE ARPAIO, HE IS THE MARICOPA
COUNTY SHERIFF ( ARIZONA ) AND HE KEEPS GETTING ELECTED OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

These are some of the reasons why:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio created the "tent city jail" to save Arizona from
spending tens of million of dollars on another expensive prison complex.

Life in a tent is harder IMO than life in a cell block. Nothing elaborate or fancy about a tent right. Compare that to a bldg that will sheild you from the elements. Big difference.

He has jail meals down to 40 cents a serving and charges the inmates for

I, as well as the rest of the taxpayers are paying for their meals in CT, not the inmates.

He banned smoking and 'rude' magazines in the jails, and took away their
weightlifting equipment and cut off all but "G" movies. He says: "they're in
jail to pay a debt to society not to build muscles so they can assault
innocent people when they leave."

The porn and smoking is the same here, although it 'finds' its way in. The inmates in CT can workout and they do have equipment to do so. The workout equipment is there for them to use. If they're not using it, they're doing pushups, situps, etc. Why let them have access to that? I agree with the Sheriff, they're there to do time, not relax like its Club Med.

He started chain gangs to use the inmates to do free work on county and city
projects and save taxpayer's money.

Hell yeah, I'm all for that one!!! I can't drive anywhere without seeing trash thrown on the side of the roadway. Why not have these inmates payback society and clean up the roads?

Then he started chain gangs for women so he wouldn't get sued for
discrimination.

Agreed!

He took away cable TV until he found out there was a federal court order
that required cable TV for jails. So he hooked up the cable TV again but

Hmm...lets see, when I worked in the jail, they had 4hrs of rec time a day. They could watch TV for 4 hrs and some had TVs in their cells! 4 hrs to watch TV, play board games, use the phone, shower, get visits and go to programs, ie: Bible study, NA, and AA to name a few. There is nothing special about the channels this guy lets the inmates watch, compared to full cable here.

When asked why the weather channel he replied: "so these morons will know
how hot it's gonna be while they are working on my chain gangs."

:) And in AZ, yes it gets quite hot!!

He cut off coffee because it has zero nutritional value and is therefore a
waste of taxpayer money*(by eliminating the estimated 5,000 cups of coffee served daily for 5,400 inmates, it was expected the county would save $94,158 a year.) When the inmates complained, he told them, "Thisisn't the Ritz/Carlton. If you don't like it, don't come back."

Amen!!

He also bought the Newt Gingrich lecture series on US history that he pipes
into the jails. When asked by a reporter if he had any lecture series by a
Democrat, he replied that a democratic lecture series that actually tells
the truth for a change would be welcome and that it might even explain why
95% of the inmates were in his jails in the first place.

Good points!

With temperatures being even hotter than usual in Phoenix (116 degrees just
set a new record for June 2nd), the Associated Press reports: About 2,000
inmates living in a barbed- wire-surrounded tent encampment at the Maricopa
County Jail have been given permission to strip down to their
government-issued pink boxer shorts.

Pink. Some men would not be caught dead wearing that color. I believe he does this to give a humble experience at the camp.

On Wednesday, hundreds of men wearing pink boxer shorts were chatting in the
tents, where temperatures reached 128 degrees. "This is hell. It feels like
we live in a furnace," said Ernesto Gonzales, an inmate for 2
years with 10 more to go. "It's inhumane."

Climate controlled in the prisons/jails in CT. I suppose if they thought twice before they did what they did to end up there, they might be relaxing by the pool.

Joe Arpaio, who makes his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna sandwiches,
is not one bit sympathetic. "Criminals should be punished for their crimes -
not live in luxury until it's time for parole, only to go out and commit
more crimes so they can come back in to live on taxpayers money and enjoy
things many taxpayers can't afford to have for themselves."

They actually get fed quite well here in CT. In addition to the 3 squares a day, they also have the ability to purchase snacks, soup, etc. from the prison. The bologna sandwiches are given in CT if they do not make it back from court in time for the regular meals. I have seen the sandwiches. I was offered one one time when I worked a double. I declined and hit the vending machine. LOL!

your damned mouths!"

I can't disagree with that one.

If not, just delete it.

Does the Sheriff seem harsh and inhumane?? Yes! But, a message is being sent. If I were to end up in AZ and was subjected to the conditions, that would take such a mental toll on me, I'd be praying for the end of my sentence. What do the inmates in CT have to complain about? Not much. Personally, I'd like to see 1 hr of rec time a day. Thats it! You shower, use the phone, get a visit, walk around the rec yard..whatever, for 1 hr. After that time, you go back into your cell, where you spend the next 23 hrs.

Mike

Sheriff Joe was just re-elected Sheriff in Maricopa County , Arizona[/quote]

OP
bcbernam777

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i agree with the majority of what he does, i even went on to his website for a good background check ;) . The reality is that many of the people incarcerated in some way or another have deprived the liberties of their victims either directly or indirectly. They deserve to be punished, that is what a prison is for.

It reminds me of the time that I saw a remerkable story about a man on death row who had become a christian after he was in prison and who had done a lot of work with other prisoners, bringing a lot of remarkable change to them, but when asked if he would appeal his death sentance because of the good works he had since done in prison, his answer was no, he stated in an interview that although God had forgiven him, he still commit murder and took the life of another man, his punishment was therefore just, he still said that he had to face the consequences of his actions, as he was responsible.

The same is true of the prisoners in Aripao's gaol.

Latest Discussions