Who here believe in

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Self defense to the extreme max. Here in Texas a man shot some intruder while breaking into there home after he shot him the intruder sued him for doing damge that was permanmemt to him. The convict won a judgement of some small amout of money but I find the distrubing, I know somebody ever breaks into my house I would differently try my best to do alot of damage, who really knows why he is there in the first place. What would everybody do?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone breaks into my house, s/he is asking for whatever punishment I and my dog can dish out, and I will feel no remorse. Once the person is leaving that's another issue - shooting an intruder in the back is different than driving him/her out.

As far as legal issues go, it's going to depend on the circumstances. Colorado has a castle law that allows residents to protect themselves and their property from intruders - but as I said above, I see a difference between driving an intruder out, and attacking from behind after he's left. Perhaps you could post a link to the story you're referring to, so we have a better idea of what happened in this case?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems the 'law' is not based on what is written or even what is rational but is created every day in court based on who's lawyer is more clever.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If someone breaks into my home I am going to inflect pain and damage on them.
If someone attacks my family and I am there the same thing goes.
I have never understood how someone that breaks into your house can sue you if they get hurt by you, a family member, animal, or tripping over a toy on the stairs,

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well... A home intruder cannot sue if they are pushing up daisies! ;) Somebody breaks into my home while I am there I am always going to figure the worst. The intruder isn't coming in for tea and crumpets. ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well... A home intruder cannot sue if they are pushing up daisies! ;) Somebody breaks into my home while I am there I am always going to figure the worst. The intruder isn't coming in for tea and crumpets. ;)

That is basically what I was going to say.

Sadly that is what a law that allows an intruder into your home to sue you if you hurt him is going to do, make it necessary to insure they can't sue.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The question always is...how can you be sure it's an intruder and not someone who thought they were somewhere other than where they are? Do you want to shoot a drunk who thought it was his home? A mentally ill person who isn't sure where she lives?

From a self-defense point of view, shooting may be safest...but one wants to be sure that it is an intruder one is dealing with, and not your daughter's lovesick boyfriend. (Er, maybe that's a bad example.) The uncertainty is always there.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But their families can...

It's vitally important that you learn the laws of self defense for your state, especially home defense. Not every state accepts the Castle Doctrine; some will require you to retreat as far as possible before defending yourself while others let you almost assume that anyone who breaks into your house is out to kill you. Even if the Castle Doctrine is accepted, it's often a very fine line between defending yourself or attacking someone. Chatting on a message board isn't a reliable way to learn these limits, either. There are numerous courses and books available that discuss issues of self defense.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the law is in New York, I'd have to check that out, but regardless of the law, I am going to assume that someone who is in my house univited, is here to cause harm to my family or myself and act accordingly.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What is right or wrong ...has nothing to do we our "LAWS"..

Man make the laws...the criminals benifits from them....MAN CAN CHANGE THE LAWS.

The lawyers...know how to use the written laws (to make $$$) ...and protect all of us...

OJ is a good example....this case is a good example...of some laws...we need to rethink..

Plus the intent of the written laws...can be misinterpeted...this has happen many times...

(A city band feeding homeless in the park grass areas...so now they feed the homeless in the parks' parking lots)....away around the law!)

Justice? ...is what our "laws" tells us ......AREN'T WE GLAD WE HAVE GOOD GOVERNMENT AND lawyers?

Jefferson: We the people in the future...will get so many new laws....we will need a law to limit them....and what I wrote is not what you today think it means....

The right to bare arms? ....is not a sleeveless shirt...

Aloha ( swimming is a right....along as do not swim right in front of me)..

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The question always is...how can you be sure it's an intruder and not someone who thought they were somewhere other than where they are? Do you want to shoot a drunk who thought it was his home? A mentally ill person who isn't sure where she lives?

From a self-defense point of view, shooting may be safest...but one wants to be sure that it is an intruder one is dealing with, and not your daughter's lovesick boyfriend. (Er, maybe that's a bad example.) The uncertainty is always there.

Always be sure of your target before firing. Yes, certainly one must be able to make the distinction. Now, as for how I would handle the situation? I think it would be quite entertaining to see the intruder begging the police to come and get'em. :uhyeah: However, I would just deal with it as it unfolds.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
....YES!
and their not going to fill you in on the details of thier intentions so that you can make the best decision on how to treat them.
In other words, you MUST expect the worst from them....
and give them the best you've got.

your Brother
John

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
....YES!
and their not going to fill you in on the details of thier intentions so that you can make the best decision on how to treat them.
In other words, you MUST expect the worst from them....
and give them the best you've got.

your Brother
John

I meant I would deal with it as it unfolds and do only what is necessary, using my gut feel of the situation.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many, many, many years ago when I ws a kid and our old neghiborhood started turning bad, I heard an old time cop tell my Dad that if someone breaks into your house kill them..A corpse cannot file a law suite..jks9199 said it best about checking out the laws home self defense..

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score

I am pro self-defense. Having said that, Arnisador's post reminded me of the time I mistakenly walked into someone else's apartment.

I worked long days and came home very tired. I went up only two floors rather than three and walked into my downstairs neighbors' apartment. We had never met, so it wasn't like, "Hey, Keith. What's up?" The husband began shouting at me, but, before I realized what I had done, I was nearly down the hall and into their living room. Even when I realized what was happening, I just turned around and walked back out. Yes, I was that tired and out-of-it. I probably appeared drunk or on drugs. (I was neither.)

A lot of things could have happened. Fortunately, it all turned out okay. I guess I am just echoing arnisador. Be sure of your target.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pro self-defense. Having said that, Arnisador's post reminded me of the time I mistakenly walked into someone else's apartment.

I worked long days and came home very tired. I went up only two floors rather than three and walked into my downstairs neighbors' apartment. We had never met, so it wasn't like, "Hey, Keith. What's up?" The husband began shouting at me, but, before I realized what I had done, I was nearly down the hall and into their living room. Even when I realized what was happening, I just turned around and walked back out. Yes, I was that tired and out-of-it. I probably appeared drunk or on drugs. (I was neither.)

A lot of things could have happened. Fortunately, it all turned out okay. I guess I am just echoing arnisador. Be sure of your target.
One of the reasons I'm almost paranoid about locking doors is because, when I lived in an apartment, I had someone walk into my apartment by mistake. They were looking for someone, they'd been told the door would be unlocked, so they went on in. They just got the wrong floor...

I've also responded to more than one case where this happened... For example, had a guy get wasted one night shortly after he'd moved. He went back "home" and proceeded to break into the apartment 'cause his key wouldn't work... He was TRASHED and just didn't remember that he'd moved!

Would've sucked if I'd blasted them for walking into the wrong door, huh?

But the truth is a burglar is not going to behave the same as someone who's mistaken. And, despite the bravado, I think most of the people here would recognize that.

I still strongly and urgently advise everyone to take the time to learn the core of their state code AND relevant decisions about self defense. We're all "trained martial artists", and in the event that you have to defend yourself, you'd be well advised to know how to justify your actions. Because, even if there's no doubt and it's open and shut and you're not prosecuted, there's a damn good chance you'll be sued if you hurt someone. And their attorney (or, in a worst case scenario, the prosecutor if you were charged criminally) WILL paint you as lethal, death in each hand, spitting poison and crapping bullets. Successful self defense has to carry on beyond keeping your hide intact, unless you really desire to give all your stuff to someone else in a courtroom. I don't know about you, but I worked hard to get the stuff I've got, I picked and chose it because I like it, and I want to keep it!

Latest Discussions