Who here believe in

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have three small children and a wife to protect. If someone broke into my house, my god have mercy on them, because I sure wouldn't.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A) To many factors left out of the initial post to make a rational reply.
B) Once I make the decison there will be no lawsuit after!
C) As someone above said, "...know how to justify your actions". This is the most simple thing to do. I was scarred for my life!

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would really like to see the full story, I live in Texas and we have some very liberal laws on home self-defense to include your property inside and outside and a very liberal no-retreat law which includes I don't have to retreat from my property, now of course common sense dictates that I'm not going to kill someone breaking into my car, I'm going to give them a shotgun blast in the air.

Now if it comes to my house, no way, no how, they go down the first time, no lawsuits here except from maybe the family for loss of income or whatever hairbrain scheme they can think of, haven't heard of one going through in this state yet.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would counter sue for twice the amount asked by the con... I would be sueing for the mental distress caused by haveing to shot a... well I shouldn't finish my thought, but, you get the idea.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will offer but one piece of advice. If you should find yourself in such a situation and have decided to assert your physical self. Regardless of what should happen to the intruder, make sure he/she had/has a weapon.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even though I hate killing, I am inclined to think that I may have to kill them. As has been stated, you don't know why they are there and I don't think I wish to ask. You will have to ask yourself if it will be them or you and yours. I choose them to not walk away.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
something an army buddy once told me.

"It is not for the mortal man to ask why, that's for god to sort out"

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. keep your doors locked
2. if someone breaks in, assume that they are there to harm you and react accordingly.

Right!

Now, some people do not wish to keep firearms about. Its not that they dislike firearms, but rather that they do not wish to have the responsibility of having firearms about. For example, if any one little mistake happens (a child gets ahold of a pistol and starts playing with it) tragedy could result. Its not that everyone who does not own a pistol or rifle is adverse to them. Its that they wish to live without care, as much as they can.

Now, if someone breaks the door, or breaches the physical security of the house, oh, my, then that's it! Full-Contact time, no rules! 'Still_Learning' style, all the way!

No joke!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Self defense to the extreme max. Here in Texas a man shot some intruder while breaking into there home after he shot him the intruder sued him for doing damge that was permanmemt to him. The convict won a judgement of some small amout of money but I find the distrubing, I know somebody ever breaks into my house I would differently try my best to do alot of damage, who really knows why he is there in the first place. What would everybody do?

I still like to fall back on assessing the situation first. LEOs do it, doctors do it and regular everyday people should do it. Of course, this requires us to 'think on the fly' so to speak, and the decision we make could alter not only the bad guys life, but ours as well.

I have my doors locked at night, an alarm and a dog. Not likely someone is just going to walk in accidentally. In light of the recent home invasions that have happened here in CT., I'm going to assume the worst, and figure this is someone breaking into my home to take my belongings and possibly hurt me or my wife. If they're armed, that just upped my response as well.

Could and will we get sued by the intruder? Probably. This is why I suggested assessing the situation and be up to date on use of force laws.

Its really hard to say exactly what we would/would not do, as every situation is different and things change quickly.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I meant I would deal with it as it unfolds and do only what is necessary, using my gut feel of the situation.
Couldn't agree more.
This is a situation I've considered a lot. What would I do if I found someone who'd broken into my home?
I think I'd aim to be as immediately debilitating as I can because there's no way to know why they are there. If they're intentions are benign, they wouldn't have illegally broken in, they'd probably use the door-bell. The fact that they had to break the law to get in tells me that they're not selling boy-scout popcorn. While I would like to stay on "this" side of lethal if I can, I'd do whatever it takes to make certain that they didn't succeed at their objectives.

Your Brother
John

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they're intentions are benign, they wouldn't have illegally broken in, they'd probably use the door-bell.

Contrasted with the scenario that had been posted earlier where the drunk or otherwise mentally challenged :p person mistakenly walks into your home is quite different than the criminal that has broken into the home.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truthfully I do not think you can have any hard and fast rule but instead need to rely on your instincts and intellect to assess the situation. Once assessment has occured then you can act accordingly. Certain factors should certainly weigh in on what you would do such as: the law in your state, who else is in the house, etc. This assessment process may only take a milisecond as you turn the corner or open a door and somebody is there with a knife in their hand and you feel their murderous intent or it may take a little while longer. Every situation will be different.
icon6.gif

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
B) Once I make the decison there will be no lawsuit after!
C) As someone above said, "...know how to justify your actions". This is the most simple thing to do. I was scarred for my life!

I wouldn't bank on the statement that there would be no lawsuit after. You have to remember that in this country "Anyone can sue anyone for anything. If they can't there is always a family member who will take up the case.

Your C) quote is good to justify your actions but will not keep them from suing you afterwards.

Even if you win the results will be the same you loose. In 1988 I was involved in an incident where a guy, after being told to drop his gun turned and pointed it at me. He was approximately 2 or 3 feet from me at the time. I shot him while I was dropping to the floor to avoid being shot. He sued me for over 1.5 million dollars even after the jury at the criminal trial told him he wouldn't win a civil case against me. He had no case but it took over 8 years to get the case closed. I still had to have an attorney to defend me and that cost can be very costly.

Don't think well they should have to pay for your attorney ... that probably won't happen ... After all if they had anything to pay your attorney they probably wouldn't be breaking into houses ...

I've seen many times where defendants win a law suit and loose everything doing so.

Pat Munk, Shichidan

PatMunk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would counter sue for twice the amount asked by the con... I would be sueing for the mental distress caused by haveing to shot a... well I shouldn't finish my thought, but, you get the idea.

Suing someone who has nothing to get gets you nothing. Except poorer trying to pay for your attorney.

Pat Munk, Shichidan

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Contrasted with the scenario that had been posted earlier where the drunk or otherwise mentally challenged :p person mistakenly walks into your home is quite different than the criminal that has broken into the home.

I have to agree seeing as this has happened in the past. He still spent the night in jail but was not harmed while awaiting the police

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When my Sesnei shot a perp dead in the line of duty ( The guy was waiting outside a fireescape, with his gun pointed at the window, waiting to kill Dave as he looked out. Dave saw him and drew his pistol and put a 38 through the guys brain, killing him) the perp's family tried to sue him.
His lawyer told him "Good thing you killed him, because if we do lose the case, he is only woth a million 2 tops, but if you put the guy in a wheelchair he could be worth 10-15 million."

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When my Sesnei shot a perp dead in the line of duty ( The guy was waiting outside a fireescape, with his gun pointed at the window, waiting to kill Dave as he looked out. Dave saw him and drew his pistol and put a 38 through the guys brain, killing him) the perp's family tried to sue him.
His lawyer told him "Good thing you killed him, because if we do lose the case, he is only woth a million 2 tops, but if you put the guy in a wheelchair he could be worth 10-15 million."

That is a sad thruth

Latest Discussions