Tragedy: Step-father accidentally shoots step-daughter during home invasion

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the color of the clothes denotes gang affiliation? How does that work for other people? I mean, if the crips have blue, and blood have red (or something else), that leaves all non gang people with only green and yellow to wear?
No... green is Trinitarians and yellow (with black) is Latin Kings.

Colors of clothing or bandanas can be important identifiers for gang members, kind of like colors of belts for martial artists.

Or the guy could be just a Yankees fan.

When I come across a group of 6 or 10 guys who can't tell a Yankee from a Padre but all "happen" to be wearing Yankees hats or shirts as they hang out on a street corner and they all happen to be fans of A-Rod... that's a clue. Especially if they all have a girl friend named Maria Sanchez, immortalized in their tattoos.

If I've got a guy who's wearing nothing but red, top to bottom... maybe a Chicago Bulls jersey... and nobody he's hanging with is wearing blue... Again, a clue.

Is it a definite possibility here? Yeah, sure. But I haven't seen enough to make a call or accusation.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
As to the OP -- Virginia doesn't require any training to buy a gun. Personally -- I'd like to see a basic safety class, and maybe a skills class be required. In my mind -- it'd be a one-time thing, before you could purchase your first gun. LE and security training would satisfy; I'm not 100% sure about military only because I don't know that they cover at-home safety very much.

I'm sure military personnel know to identify their target before pulling the trigger. I can't imagine basic gun handling skills (like assuming all weapons are loaded, being careful not to "laser" others, know your target and beyond, safe storage) are taught to new recruits being given firearms.

I'm not a big fan of giving the fed (or the state for that matter) one more option for mandatory classes, mandatory fees, mandatory licenses and mandatory taxes. Every "mandatory" government training course or licensing procedure I have been through was woefully inadequate and behind the times, and over priced. It also only furthers the lack of personal responsibility and discipline of our already inept society. It used to be that American children grew up learning firearm skills from their parents, it was cultural. Our PC destruction of such culture is the problem.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure military personnel know to identify their target before pulling the trigger. I can't imagine basic gun handling skills (like assuming all weapons are loaded, being careful not to "laser" others, know your target and beyond, safe storage) are taught to new recruits being given firearms.

I'm not a big fan of giving the fed (or the state for that matter) one more option for mandatory classes, mandatory fees, mandatory licenses and mandatory taxes. Every "mandatory" government training course or licensing procedure I have been through was woefully inadequate and behind the times, and over priced. It also only furthers the lack of personal responsibility and discipline of our already inept society. It used to be that American children grew up learning firearm skills from their parents, it was cultural. Our PC destruction of such culture is the problem.
Note, please, that I specified AT HOME safety. As in proper storage. That's not something that is necessarily covered in military training -- but does get significant attention in LE training.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
This truely is a tragedy. And I agree whith the burglars being prosecuted cuz it is their faults.
To legally own a gun shouldn't he have went through a course on how to use it before he was able to purchase it?

NO NOT IN THE UNITED STATES! the second amendment says that every one has the RIGHT to KEEP AND BARE ARMS!

that said, if you have a weapon, be it a knife, sword, spear or halberd, or a rifle or pistol or shotgun, I would strongly suggest you learn how to use it if you intend to have it for self defense.

I was raised with and trained to use fire arms from the age of 4.8 years. I like guns, they are a good tool.. but I do think that you should learn to use one if you own one and have not already... but it is your choice. however, if I am on the jury and you made no attempt to learn to use it, it goes off and some one is injured.. i would provably hold you completely responsible for your actions.
that said, in this case a case of felony murder seems correct and just against the burglars and the father will have to live with his ineptitude with that weapon and its results!

I feel very sorry for the child and the mother..

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on where you are.

We've had a lot in my region targeting immigrants who distrust the banking system and the government... They're easy pickings, and it's not always reported.

But... yeah. Lots of 'em are people targeted for what they're involved in (drugs, gambling, unlicensed businesses of several sorts).

As to the OP -- Virginia doesn't require any training to buy a gun. Personally -- I'd like to see a basic safety class, and maybe a skills class be required. In my mind -- it'd be a one-time thing, before you could purchase your first gun. LE and security training would satisfy; I'm not 100% sure about military only because I don't know that they cover at-home safety very much.

maybe you should go READ the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION AND THE BILL OF RIGHTS.... also the amendments, especially the 14th and 15th ... I think you will find what you want is both illegal and unconstitutional .. especially if you read the Federalist Papers and the Founding Fathers intent for Passing and requiring the passage of THE BILL OF RIGHTS.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
maybe you should go READ the UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION AND THE BILL OF RIGHTS.... also the amendments, especially the 14th and 15th ... I think you will find what you want is both illegal and unconstitutional .. especially if you read the Federalist Papers and the Founding Fathers intent for Passing and requiring the passage of THE BILL OF RIGHTS.
I'm quite familiar with the contents of the Constitution, and the Second Amendment.

The right to bear arms is not unlimited, and no court ruling to date has held it as such. Note that there are already waiting periods, limits on how many handguns may be purchased in a given time period, sales and import restrictions, limitations on how or when you may exercise your right to bear arms, training requirements to obtain CCW permits, and more. Accordingly, a simple requirement of a few hours training on proper storage and handling, once in a lifetime, seems rather reasonable to me. Nobody's done it yet -- but that doesn't make it automatically unconstitutional.

Latest Discussions