Who do you fear the most?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pre supposing that the fighter is limited to unarmed conflict, and he hasn't snuck up on you and can only fight you by himself, what kind of fighter do you fear the most? Would it be a huge guy with tremendous strength, a stand up fighter, or a grappler, or a tenth degree blackbelt or an Olympic champion or MMA fighter? Who would you least like to fight? For me, it would be a grappler, as I was always a lousy wrestler, never practiced any ground work at all, and if I'm on the ground I can bite the guy and that's about it. What kind of fighter do you fear the most?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not want to fight Sijo Emperado. He was mean and usually left you with something broken.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Darth Vader.

I don't know how to defend against the Force.

:jediduel:

Mark

Man, I've been waiting forever for a good excuse to use that particular smiley. Woo Hoo!!!

Its the little things that make ya happy.

:)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lot's of light hearted replies come to mind...

But I'll take it seriously.

Who do I least want to fight? The guy who doesn''t care if he gets hurt or killed. Anyone else can be deterred and stopped. But if he doesn't care about being hurt or killed --- he ain't gonna be stopped until he's either completely incapacited or dead.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anyone. I don't want to fight anyone, and I'm afraid to fight everyone. I don't want to get hurt, so I don't want to fight anyone. However, if I have no other choice in the matter, then it really doesn't matter who it is, I'm gonna be just as scared as he is. Hopefully while I'm saying in my head, ' Oh crap its so and so" He'll be saying, " Oh crap it's Nick!" LOL! Seriously though. And since I had no choice in the matter I probably wouldn't have any choice on who it is, so I'm screwed no matter what.

"Listen son I don't care who it is. I don't care if it's Bruce Lee....his legs are shaking just as bad as yours are. He might beat you up, he might even kill ya, but he ain't GONNA EAT YA!" -My Father:asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me, I don't like fighting most boxers. I boxed for a few years and I tell you, some of them boys hit HARD. I am talking about the guys who have 100-150 fights by the time they are 16YO. They have over 200 by the time they are 20 and they hove so much experience that they know how and when to hit along with this freaky ability to move so they don't get hit.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lot's of light hearted replies come to mind...

But I'll take it seriously.

Who do I least want to fight? The guy who doesn''t care if he gets hurt or killed. Anyone else can be deterred and stopped. But if he doesn't care about being hurt or killed --- he ain't gonna be stopped until he's either completely incapacited or dead.

+1...Two other, similar, types come to mind...

-The one who has had enough experience with violence to be able to approach the fight with total dispassion.

-The one who is under the influence of drugs that basically "supercharge" him (feeling no pain, increased strength, etc.).

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What kind of fighter do you fear the most?

I always told my students to imagine the biggest, scariest person they could think of when practicing their techniques. To make their performance real, and imagine that they were being aggressed upon by that person, and that only their skills could protect them.

For me, that imaginary attacker is Danny Trejo.

danny-trejo.jpg

That's one scary looking dude.

-Rob

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taking away weapons, suprise attacks and multiple opponents I suppose the next dangerous thing on the list would be a really focused attacker with allround skills and who plainly wants to destroy me.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, I don't like fighting most boxers. I boxed for a few years and I tell you, some of them boys hit HARD. I am talking about the guys who have 100-150 fights by the time they are 16YO. They have over 200 by the time they are 20 and they hove so much experience that they know how and when to hit along with this freaky ability to move so they don't get hit.

And their used to being hit, which makes them hard to stop even if you do hit them. I was told by a founder of a system that the ones that do the best out on the streets when attacked are boxers and judo and wrestlers because their used to the contact.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
+1...Two other, similar, types come to mind...

-The one who has had enough experience with violence to be able to approach the fight with total dispassion.

-The one who is under the influence of drugs that basically "supercharge" him (feeling no pain, increased strength, etc.).

I got attacked once on the streets by a guy who was likely on crack cocaine. After getting him on the ground and kicking him seven times in the testicles so hard that I hurt my ankle he got up like I hadn't even kicked him, and made no sound that indicated he was in pain while I kicked him. I weighed well over 200 pounds, that's scary.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Taking away weapons, suprise attacks and multiple opponents I suppose the next dangerous thing on the list would be a really focused attacker with allround skills and who plainly wants to destroy me.

yeah my Sifu in Wing Chun, my teacher in American Combato, my tae-kwon-do teacher all would have kicked my butt without a doubt. I'd run, fast...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My response would be like JKS's above.

I used to have a lengthy and learned conversation whenever this question came up. Now I usually paraphrase my answer as "The chap, whose leg I break, who gets back up and comes after me".

vxmequalsf

White Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely, I'm w/ Kenpotex...a person under the influence of drugs is bad, bad news to tangle with.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely, I'm w/ Kenpotex...a person under the influence of drugs is bad, bad news to tangle with.
They're really just a subset of the folks who don't care about getting hurt or killed. If they don't feel it -- they don't care!

As for the guy with the experience in violence to remain calm -- he's not as concerning to me as the one who doesn't care. Because the experienced guy will back off when he faces too much opposition to handle...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly, I fear no man... what I do fear, is what he could do to me if I am not on top of my game during the fight. So, basically I'm afraid of ME because if I'm not paying attention, being aware and staying alert for ANYTHING, or not fighting like I COULD be fighting ... then I'm going to be the reason I got hurt.

There are going to be guys bigger, stronger, better fighters than I am. But omigod, they ARE going to walk/limp (or if I'm lucky... carried) away wishing they'd thought twice before beating the crap out of me... if they won. During my high school days I've been in a few fights... I've NEVER fought the same guy twice... they learnt their lesson the first time around.

Latest Discussions