Which Martial Art System is best suited for the streets?

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My choice is the very secretive art studied by a very secretive sect.

I can't tell you the sect's name; however, I just received authorization to tell you the name of this elite art:

Tree-Stewges-kong-fu

If you listen closely you can hear their verbal salutation:

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...Wiseguy, eh?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The best? Gotta be............Judo Fu / Tonque Fu, or the art of speaking, awarness and avoidance. To be able to trust your instincts and leave before if get worst. The art of Speaking nicely and quietly and common sense as someone said.

Learning how to run HELPS too.! ...........Aloha

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
o.k. this really pissed me off. no one style is better or more realistic then any other. if there were thenno other would need to be taught. it is notthe styles that go to a fight it is the people. people are what matter. and besides how many of those guys has ever even been in a street fight? i've been in my fair share of fights and then some and more often then not there will be a weapon, or a group or some one just plain not figthing fair. and every style has its draw backs, and it's good points. if you want to know what stlye is the best or what ever, it's the one you never have to use.

F

first123class

What happened to "it's not what you do, it's how well you do it"?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
first123class said:
What happened to "it's not what you do, it's how well you do it"?
the problem lies in the fact that many do it well while they are in class, but as soon as they leave it all goes out the window.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
no one style is better or more realistic then any other.
I disagree. How you train it makes more difference than the art, but some arts are better for some purposes than others. Most arts are good and usable--but some are better.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Theban_Legion said:
Tree-Stewges-kong-fu

A tough, if now rare system descended from three masters whose methods were highly popular in the 1930's.

It involved a lot of falling, eye gouges, slaps, reinforced hammer fists to the nose, ear twists and hair pulling. One of the masters was noted for his body checks, and would base his methods on the movements of a charging bull. Legend has it that he once head butted a bull in a bullfight, felling the beast. When his "ki" was up, the only thing that would control him was, oddly, cheese.

Some weaponry skills based on "field expedients" that are at hand...particularly tools such as saw blades and claw hammers (the former for dragging across the top of the head, the latter for gouging the nose as a "come along" hold). To counter these methods iron body skills were developed by the three masters to a level never before seen.

Some projectile weapons...again, field expedients. Their skill with throwing baked goods are said to have never been surpassed.

John Gilbey thought to write about them, but was concerned their skills would be deemed even too fantastic for his readers. Their story was cut from his final manuscript.

Regards,

Steve

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to say the ancient art of Nike-do, though Reebok-jutsu holds a close second. Those're your best tools when push comes to shove.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
the problem lies in the fact that many do it well while they are in class, but as soon as they leave it all goes out the window.

All the more reason IMO to make sure that the training is as realistic as possible. If the attacker in the dojo is stopping their punches 5 in. away from the defender, punching to the side of the head rather than at the head, the student is going to have a rude awakening when they face someone who's really trying to do them some harm.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Punching to the side of the head is a pet peeve of mine. Don't train me to respond by blocking/dodging things that would miss me!

B

BaiKaiGuy

Ugh.

I hate these threads.

To be politically correct, it's the artist, not the art.

To be realistic, who cares, whatever works for you.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't puch to the side of the head in training...we aim for the head/face. My instructor always says that if you keep practicing punching in the wrong place, you're going to punch in the wrongplace when it matters, so it's important to practice the attack seriously, even if it's a self-defense training.

That's why for body strikes, I tell my kids to punch me or kick me as hard as they can. Really punching someone is difficultand I think they need to know how to do it, and it helpd me to practice my breathing,etc... in taking a shot

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think different arts are better at attacking and defending in different ways. They have different philosophies in how to attack and how to move, etc...but the *results* are that they are really as effective as you train and prepare.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
All the more reason IMO to make sure that the training is as realistic as possible. If the attacker in the dojo is stopping their punches 5 in. away from the defender, punching to the side of the head rather than at the head, the student is going to have a rude awakening when they face someone who's really trying to do them some harm.

Mike
ive been nailed more than a few times in the dojo, and ive hit people a few times. i think you're cheating the person you're working with if you dont give it your all when training.
another pet peeve of mine when i see other systems is that they only work off of one attack. the technique in response to the attack might have 3 or more strikes. so the attacker throws out one hard punch or kick and then stands there with his arm out while the defender does his thing. i think this also creates a false sense of ones abilities in a self defense situation.
when i train for self defense, the attacker must continue beyond the first punch with a follow up movement, whether it is a punch or kick is up to them. this will let you know if you have the legs to move to get out of the way if the first part doesnt work.
no real attack is one single punch, im not saying it doesnt happen, its just really really rare.
this is how we do it in kosho kempo, and as far as my exposure in filipino arts....its the same way. understanding flow and movement, with that understanding encompassing the attacker as well as the defender.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be blasted by my Kenpo Brothers and Ju-Jitsu Brothers. But for the most readily effective (meaning not only effective but quick to learn and apply) street defense I'll have to go with Vee Arnis Jitsu.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
ive been nailed more than a few times in the dojo, and ive hit people a few times. i think you're cheating the person you're working with if you dont give it your all when training.
another pet peeve of mine when i see other systems is that they only work off of one attack. the technique in response to the attack might have 3 or more strikes. so the attacker throws out one hard punch or kick and then stands there with his arm out while the defender does his thing. i think this also creates a false sense of ones abilities in a self defense situation.
when i train for self defense, the attacker must continue beyond the first punch with a follow up movement, whether it is a punch or kick is up to them. this will let you know if you have the legs to move to get out of the way if the first part doesnt work.
no real attack is one single punch, im not saying it doesnt happen, its just really really rare.
this is how we do it in kosho kempo, and as far as my exposure in filipino arts....its the same way. understanding flow and movement, with that understanding encompassing the attacker as well as the defender.

Excellent points from you and others!! Its good to have the student get used to the basic tech. and then expand from there. Once they've got an understanding of the fundamentals, they can expand from there, looking at things such as what you've mentioned.

Mike

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dragon Fist said:
Hello fellow Martial Artist,

Which Martial Art System do you think is best suited for the streets?

No weapons involved.

Please list just one.

Thank You for you participation.

Whichever one works best for me.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
I totally agree with you on this.

Nobody throws one punch and stands there and let you pick him apart.

The defender must learn to be aware of continuing attack and body momentum.

Defender must learn how to occupy the space the attacker needs in order to attack effectively.
I also agree that you should give your all when training with a partner.
Look at it this way, if you are practicing a bad habbit, your only getting better at being bad.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I disagree. How you train it makes more difference than the art, but some arts are better for some purposes than others. Most arts are good and usable--but some are better.
true but in a "standard fight" (what ever that is)you do what ever comes out. a person who only does aikido migth start throwing punches. the style will probibly effect what it is you are doing, but does not dirrectly make you resond in that way. and take st george, he was trained in severale styles of medevil swordsmanship, but used compltely untradtional techinques, stances, and gaurd. and took great pride in stomping tradtional master into the ground. or a more modern example bruce lee. he did mostly wing chun. but in his movies and jeet kune do he does very little wing chun. and something else, i agree with eldrich knight. an fact as a part of coung nhu at a point (in the past anyways) part of your training was running, a mile in less then 7 minutes. and then 2 miles in 7 minutes, and for your black belt guess, go on, guess. your right 3 miles in one minute or less. after that their may have been more miles in seven minutes, but my senseihasn't mentioned it, maybe i should ask??
any ways.

sweet Brighit bless your blade

john
ohh p.s. and if you haven't yet read the post about canada out lawing martial arts.

Latest Discussions