What's your styles weaknesses

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Grappling. Basic ground work is covered but as a very minor component in my system. We do lots of take downs and a punch or kick, but we don't linger there long as our system feels that's a mistake.

Most of the senior guys seek some level of BJJ training outside of our system. I am thinking of this as well, but I am a bit old to start BJJ.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grappling. Basic ground work is covered but as a very minor component in my system. We do lots of take downs and a punch or kick, but we don't linger there long as our system feels that's a mistake.

Most of the senior guys seek some level of BJJ training outside of our system. I am thinking of this as well, but I am a bit old to start BJJ.
It is not a mistake to know it, but it is a mistake to want to do it. LOL

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When talking about a style's weaknesses, it's all very well saying the weakness is in the fighter, not the style, but it's important to understand your style's limitation and flaws. After all, no style is perfect.

I don't know if other people would consider this a weakness, but in my style we don't block kicks with our legs or feet, but with our hands (or we change stances to avoid the kick altogether). Blocking low kicks with the hands and arms is very hard to pull off well.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Blocking low kicks with the hands and arms is very hard to pull off well.
Besides it's difficult for your arm to reach that low, you also expose your head for punch. If you just

- bend your leg at your knee joint, or
- use waist level outside crescent kick,

you can "escape" most of the low kicks.

When your opponent kicks you, you can

1. block it,
2. escape out of it.

Sometime 2 > 1, but if you want to block it and catch that kicking leg, 1 > 2.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There is some pretty low impact bjj out there for the oldies.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know if other people would consider this a weakness, but in my style we don't block kicks with our legs or feet, but with our hands (or we change stances to avoid the kick altogether). Blocking low kicks with the hands and arms is very hard to pull off well.
So... Who perceives it as a weakness? Yourself, other members of your club, your instructor? All practitioners of the system? If it is perceived as a weakness across the board, then why not do something to change that? Seems to me that this could be easily remedied, if it's institutionally seen as a weakness. And if it's just you, or just a handful of you, well then maybe it's not a weakness and you are simply missing something. Or, maybe it's a poor match for you, and you would be better off doing something else.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is some pretty low impact bjj out there for the oldies.

Thanks.

I am also big - so I get my own worries about injury with my age.... and my current class mates worries with my weight and size when we do some minor grappling ;)

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So... Who perceives it as a weakness? Yourself, other members of your club, your instructor? All practitioners of the system? If it is perceived as a weakness across the board, then why not do something to change that? Seems to me that this could be easily remedied, if it's institutionally seen as a weakness. And if it's just you, or just a handful of you, well then maybe it's not a weakness and you are simply missing something. Or, maybe it's a poor match for you, and you would be better off doing something else.

This is something I perceive in my own sparring, and I haven't spoken to anyone else in my club or my instructor about it. Granted I am still very new to the style so maybe I'm just not used to dealing with low kicks. As a Tibetan White Crane practitioner, how do you deal with low kicks?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks.

I am also big - so I get my own worries about injury with my age.... and my current class mates worries with my weight and size when we do some minor grappling ;)

Bjj can start on the ground so you don't get slammed and you can be sensible about how much weight you are driving into the guy under you.

A lot of their rolling is this technical and very gentlemanly affair.

As opposed to us which is all forearms and elbows.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is something I perceive in my own sparring, and I haven't spoken to anyone else in my club or my instructor about it. Granted I am still very new to the style so maybe I'm just not used to dealing with low kicks. As a Tibetan White Crane practitioner, how do you deal with low kicks?
I can't really answer your question. We don't approach our training with "do X against Y" type setup. We do what is appropriate for the moment, and I can't say just what that will be until I'm in the moment.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't really answer your question. We don't approach our training with "do X against Y" type setup. We do what is appropriate for the moment, and I can't say just what that will be until I'm in the moment.

I had a feeling you would say something like that. I guess I'll have to find out for myself what works the next time someone throws a low kick at me in a sparring match.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a feeling you would say something like that. I guess I'll have to find out for myself what works the next time someone throws a low kick at me in a sparring match.
Yeah, some things really don't have an answer, at least not in the way we might wish it did.

In my opinion, you learn skills and apply them as it makes sense to you. If you want to deal with low kicks in a different way, take what you've learned and figure out how to do so. This stuff shouldn't be a recipe that you have to follow. It's more flexible than that, and application can vary a lot.

Latest Discussions