What's your styles weaknesses

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrestling, not protecting your head enough.

wrestling_posture.jpg

Wrestling is crap for striking,striking is crap for wrestling. Mma you are going to be a bit crap at both.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wrestling is crap for striking,striking is crap for wrestling. Mma you are going to be a bit crap at both.
All "sports" can build up bad habit. In the following clip, she steps back before stepping in. That's also a very "bad habit".

if there's a weakness, it must be me. Right? :)

I don't think that was her personal weakness. Many Judo instructors taught this way - step back before stepping forward.

Same step back before stepping forward in this clip.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we then 'criticising' our own styles or everyone else's? Is it necessarily a weakness that a style doesn't cover all things? The founders didn't think so, so why do people now think that one has to have ground, standup, weapons and probably even chi balls for it to be considered a 'proper' system.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Is it necessarily a weakness that a style doesn't cover all things?

I like this idea; I don't think it is.

I mean, if your boxing is so good that I can't impose X, Y or Z style on you then does it really matter that it doesn't have ground techniques. The style trained to that Nth degree IS the ground defence.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By that Logic, Kenpo has no weaknesses; because, in the text, it says, "And other moves", which includes everything you guys know. It is just up to me to glean it off of you. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes its a weakness that your style does not cover all things.

Big whoop. My style has a weakness.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are we then 'criticising' our own styles or everyone else's? Is it necessarily a weakness that a style doesn't cover all things? The founders didn't think so, so why do people now think that one has to have ground, standup, weapons and probably even chi balls for it to be considered a 'proper' system.
lol.. My style uses a spear.. so unless someone has a weapon longer than 8 ft or a gun. lol. Then Jow Ga wins hands down. Let's see how long BJJ stays on their backs then lol. But seriously it's like you say. Not every system was meant to cover all types of attacks. Some fighting systems cover more than others. Fencing may have a weakness in the punch and grappling areas, but the sword more than makes up for that weakness. The weakness should be viewed only within the purpose for which the system was designed for.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All "sports" can build up bad habit. In the following clip, she steps back before stepping in. That's also a very "bad habit".

John, frankly, every time you start to talk about any particular martial arts methodologies, you're simply showing that you don't really have much of a clue. You've stated a number of times that you don't teach a particular "style"… you teach (bluntly) a basic technical approach, with an un-nuanced and low level application of what you call "strategy" (it often isn't, by the way)… and you dislike the idea (or don't believe in the idea) of martial styles (being different). This leads you to think that you are in a position to comment on other methods, even though you patently don't understand them, and refuse to look past your own limited grasp of what you think it's similar to in your background.

In other words, no, John, it is not a "very 'bad habit'"… it's actually a very good one. But, of course, you'd need to have a clue about what's being done and why first.

I don't think that was her personal weakness. Many Judo instructors taught this way - step back before stepping forward.

Same step back before stepping forward in this clip.

So many Judo instructors all teach this basic, and important, throw the same way… along with many of the other throws… and you think it's a bad habit? Have you even sought to grasp what you're looking at? Have you thought about why the throw it taught that way? Look at it again… the foot coming back is part of the set up… because in a Judo competition, you want to keep your hips back to avoid the opponent throwing you… it is also to generate an explosive forward irimi action (entering), combined with the pulling left hand to achieve kuzushi, and position the opponent for the throw. This can't be done anywhere near as effectively from a closer position, especially as a teaching method (which is what this is… not an application method).

Seriously. If you don't understand it, that's fine… you have no base in this at all… but I'd then hold off on trying to label very effective, strong methods of teaching core principles and technical methods as "a very 'bad habit'"… it's pretty obvious you don't know what you're looking at.

lol.. My style uses a spear.. so unless someone has a weapon longer than 8 ft or a gun. lol. Then Jow Ga wins hands down. Let's see how long BJJ stays on their backs then lol.

Well, if you want to play that game… in my arts, we have spears as well… but ours are 9 foot plus… we also have up to around 9 foot naginata… we have kusarigama… kyoketsu shoge… both of which are long range flexible weapons… shuriken… yumi (bow)… fukiya (blowgun)… all of which will beat your 8 foot spears for range… but then again, we have sword and short sword, both of which have methods for getting inside the range of the spear (and, once your past the head of the spear, it gets far less effective… so you'd need to not only rely on the range, but be able to ensure you can maintain it)… knife… as well as bo (representing a broken spear or naginata)… jo (same)… hanbo… jutte… tessen… and a hell of a lot more… in addition to our unarmed methods…

How's Jow Ga's repertoire looking now? Bit limited, one may feel…

But seriously it's like you say. Not every system was meant to cover all types of attacks. Some fighting systems cover more than others. Fencing may have a weakness in the punch and grappling areas, but the sword more than makes up for that weakness. The weakness should be viewed only within the purpose for which the system was designed for.

True, but it's less about the types of attacks, and more to do with the application context… which does include a particular form of violence (including types of attacks, but implying a lot more), but there's a lot more to it than that…

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
lol.. My style uses a spear.. so unless someone has a weapon longer than 8 ft or a gun. lol. Then Jow Ga wins hands down. Let's see how long BJJ stays on their backs then lol. But seriously it's like you say. Not every system was meant to cover all types of attacks. Some fighting systems cover more than others. Fencing may have a weakness in the punch and grappling areas, but the sword more than makes up for that weakness. The weakness should be viewed only within the purpose for which the system was designed for.

Well, with that logic then Wing Chun wins hand down as they have the dragon pole (I'm assuming you aren't including throwing weapons in this lol).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in my arts, we have spears as well

Chris, which is the weapon that only ( or mostly) women use? I remember seeing something on a programme once but despite racking my brain I can't remember what it's called. It may be that the programme was incorrect but they did show classes of Japanese women training with the weapon which is 'spearlike' in that it's long. Sorry not a good description I'm afraid.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're talking about the naginata… from the Edo period onward (basically about from 1610), the naginata began to be more associated with women as a weapon of home defence. Many systems have featured female headmasters (Tendo Ryu, Toda-ha Buko Ryu), or been largely trained by women (Yoshin Ryu, who typically dress in a particular type of kimono referred to as a furisode kimono, which is worn by women only), and in modern times, naginata has been part of the womens physical education curriculum for high school students (the boys typically do kendo… there are sometimes competitions between them, and the naginata typically wins…). The modern form is Atarashii (New) Naginata, and also includes musical solo forms… not overtly fond of that aspect… it's purely to try to keep the young girls interested.

All that said, prior to the Edo Jidai, naginata was one of the most prominent battlefield weapons, coming behind yari (spears), and kyujutsu (archery). Systems such as Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu, Toda-ha Buko Ryu, and Chokugen Ryu use over sized weapons, which would have been far more applicable to armoured combat in battle, rather than the smaller weapons of later (Edo and modern) systems.

A couple of clips for you:

Katori Shinto Ryu naginata - battlefield.

Chokugen Ryu Onaginata (big naginata) - battlefield.

Toda-ha Buko Ryu - battlefield system who have had female headmasters for a number of the most recent generations (not currently).

Yoshin Ryu… note the kimono worn.

Jikishinkage Ryu… a couple of old ladies not to be messed with…

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Chris, excellent information as always! :)

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Conceptually we understand that the strength of a style will reveal it's weakness. Simply put, a style that incorporates more Yang will be vulnerable to Yin and vise versa. This is why we all try to balance out our training. Then, their are the weaknesses of the warrior. My weaknesses are many but one thing that really bothers me is when I practice open waza,( unscripted freestyle defenses) I find I have an obsession with striking for center mass with all the force I can muster. Rather than being selective about my targets. I spent too much time hitting heavy bags and people who can take it with 16oz gloves on. I suspect If I were to defend myself I would try to put my fist or feet clear through the attacker in the hopes of crushing him with one blow, rather than having a bit more control and striking with accuracy and in combinations or setting up a finishing hold or throw. The strength of my workout created a weakness. The workout served me well when fighting full contact, but now, I have habits to clean up. The true balance point or Tao removes an excessive weakness by avoiding an excessive strengths when training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect If I were to defend myself I would try to put my fist or feet clear through the attacker in the hopes of crushing him with one blow,

Of course then you're buggered if that person doesn't go down! I saw this once, there was a fight in the local nightclub and a civvy lad threw an enormous punch at a squaddie who took it, stood there, grinned and then went on the attack, heard the civvy groan before he was even hit. His face was a picture at that moment he realised his very best punch did nothing. ( we let the squaddie get a punch in then apprehended him)

SenseiHitman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well if the blow did not work I would deliver another, it is just that I seem to be too power hungry when striking.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course then you're buggered if that person doesn't go down! I saw this once, there was a fight in the local nightclub and a civvy lad threw an enormous punch at a squaddie who took it, stood there, grinned and then went on the attack, heard the civvy groan before he was even hit. His face was a picture at that moment he realised his very best punch did nothing. ( we let the squaddie get a punch in then apprehended him)
True storry that happened to me as a kid, but it was with a running jump kick lol. I thought the kick would take him out but it didn't lol. First thing that went through my mind was "crap" the second thing was "run" lol

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this would be a good idea. Everyone here should know there's no perfect martial art and even our own do have weaknesses I've always believed you should tell yourself what these weakness are instead of making excuses for them that why you can develop your own soloutions to these weaknesses.

No, every style has intended uses and unintended uses. You can't tell me a hammer is not a perfect tool because it doesn't handle cutting wood very well. It's a tool, it has a job, and it's damn good at that job. Kickboxing is not meant for wrestling on the ground, it's not a weaknesses. It's just something it doesn't do, and that's ok. My car doesn't fly, and doesn't handle lakes very well... but I still like it just fine and don't consider those weaknesses.

The mistake is in thinking every style needs to be able to do everything, and it doesn't. It's impossible to be the best at every application. I mean MMA sucks cause it doesn't do fighting in full armour on horse back well... so what? Not what it's meant for, so it doesn't need to do it.

While I think you are correct, we should have some self-awareness of what we are doing and why, it's also important to recognize that it's not a weakness if applied in the context it is meant too.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, every style has intended uses and unintended uses. You can't tell me a hammer is not a perfect tool because it doesn't handle cutting wood very well. It's a tool, it has a job, and it's damn good at that job. Kickboxing is not meant for wrestling on the ground, it's not a weaknesses. It's just something it doesn't do, and that's ok. My car doesn't fly, and doesn't handle lakes very well... but I still like it just fine and don't consider those weaknesses.

The mistake is in thinking every style needs to be able to do everything, and it doesn't. It's impossible to be the best at every application. I mean MMA sucks cause it doesn't do fighting in full armour on horse back well... so what? Not what it's meant for, so it doesn't need to do it.

While I think you are correct, we should have some self-awareness of what we are doing and why, it's also important to recognize that it's not a weakness if applied in the context it is meant too.

Sounds to me you need a car like 007.

Latest Discussions