What's most important in choosing a MA school?

What's most important in choosing a place to study MA's?

• The studio (cost, class times/availability, location/distance, accessibility to family, etc.

• The art/type of art (e.g.: street effective; competition-proven; well-rounded; traditional, etc.)

• The instructor (Talking to or watching him/her makes me want to practice this art)

• A recommendation (e.g., of someone or some group I really respect)

Results are only viewable after voting.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always thought my answer to this question was, The instructor, of course. Then I got to thinking while posting my MA experience in another thread. It seems I might have started an art or school for a particular instructor, and especially if that instructor was available during the premium hours for me--which are different than most people's. But during my journey of roughly 15 years in the Asian arts, instructors and even schools seemed to have come and gone, while the primary arts I study have prevailed: I just sometimes have had to find new instructors or places to study those arts.

So, I'm surprised to say that when I began, I valued the instructor most; but in hindsight, I value more the arts, which have become a permanent part of my life.

Wondered what others thought. And has your experience changed your view(s) over time, as it has mine? Or, might it change in the future under a given set of circumstances?

Looking forward to seeing the poll develop and reading your responses.

All best,

~kidswarrior

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree what poll, but as far as your question goes it is more about the Instructor and Art just as equal. Probaly back then it was the instructor since he was my father.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Altho' I do concurr that as your 'years in harness' increase, it is the art that becomes more dominant, at the first I think that the instructor is what makes the difference as to whether you stick at it or not.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I chose 'Art/Type of Art'. Way back in the beginning, I made a choice based on the instructor. I really wanted to study Karate but the instructors that I saw in a demo impressed the hell out of me (Jimmy Woo and Frank Woolsey) so I enrolled in Kung fu. But over the years many of my instructors came and went (closed their doors or passed away) but I found myself always seeking out another San Soo school. Of course I cross trained in other arts but I always stayed with the art that I originally chose and always will despite the travel distance, price or the instructor.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's gotta be blend of all things, for me. A great school that teaches the type of techniques I want to learn in the right kind of atmosphere with quality instruction does me no good if it's on the other side of the country and charges $500 a lesson.

Likewise, a school right next door is no good if they aren't teaching what I want to learn, and have poor instructors to boot.

If all things are equal, I suppose I must go with style. I want to learn what I want to learn, and if two schools are otherwise equal, but one teaches what I want to learn, and the other does not but has a better instructing staff, then I will still go with the school that is teaching what I want.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
All of the above.

Now having said that if you do not get along with the teacher or have little respect for the style and or the teacher you will not learn anything really. Also the style you choose needs to fit you, the distance you need to travel has to fit your schedule or you will not go and it cannot be so expensive you can’t afford to go. And if you get a recommendation form some one you trust well that just might get you to go check the school out.

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's gotta be blend of all things, for me. A great school that teaches the type of techniques I want to learn in the right kind of atmosphere with quality instruction does me no good if it's on the other side of the country and charges $500 a lesson.

Likewise, a school right next door is no good if they aren't teaching what I want to learn, and have poor instructors to boot.

If all things are equal, I suppose I must go with style. I want to learn what I want to learn, and if two schools are otherwise equal, but one teaches what I want to learn, and the other does not but has a better instructing staff, then I will still go with the school that is teaching what I want.

Pretty much sums up how I see it, too.

Xue Sheng said:
All of the above.

Now having said that if you do not get along with the teacher or have little respect for the style and or the teacher you will not learn anything really. Also the style you choose needs to fit you, the distance you need to travel has to fit your schedule or you will not go and it cannot be so expensive you can’t afford to go. And if you get a recommendation form some one you trust well that just might get you to go check the school out.

Well, you managed to choose all the answers in a multiple choice poll. And it makes sense, to boot. Pretty good, XS. :D

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I picked location. The best school in the world isn't going to help you if its on the opposite coast from you.
Sean

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I picked location too, even if I couldn't find the best instructor, art and never had a recommendation I'd still want to train in something, but the class times and prices are most important I feel as I have a child and am not the richest of people. Saying that, it is an overall choice, the art and instructor are very very important to me. But if i can't afford it or get to class... well there's no point in choosing them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is only one thing that would draw me to a particular school. In college, I went to a school where my friends trained. (It was across the alley from another school). I started boxing at a gym across the street, because it caught my interest..

Then, I traveled 25 miles one way to train under a man who I respected & was accomplished in his form of MA. I've trained a gyms very close to home, & I've gone across the country to seek out my current instructor.

Instructor, style, & convience are things I'd encourage most folks to look into when choosing a school.

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I'm in the process right now of choosing a school for me and my kids. There are many factors I have to consider prior to signing contracts and committing to a training center/school for any extended amount of time. As some have mentioned, I too am trying to stick with what most impressed me, that is Hwa Rang Do. I just really loved the many aspects of the art.

But now I'm in an area where there are no HRD instructors. I'm trying the next best thing for me... that is a combination of MAs. I'm attending a trial period of both Hopkido (first hour) and Tae Kwan Do (2nd hour) because both classes have aspects that remind me of HRD.

Unfortunately, the training center is on the other side of town from where I live and the costs, although I'm sure are comparable to others, is still a little steep for a family man. I'm sad to say that these factors will be the deciding factors. But the good news is I found one instructor close to my house and for half the cost. This instructor's Master instructor is the same Master instructor where I'm doing my trial period. So I'll be training with/under a person who has trained under the same person I'm with now. What a break for us!

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a matter of fact I'm in the process right now of choosing a school for me and my kids. There are many factors I have to consider prior to signing contracts and committing to a training center/school for any extended amount of time. As some have mentioned, I too am trying to stick with what most impressed me, that is Hwa Rang Do. I just really loved the many aspects of the art.

But now I'm in an area where there are no HRD instructors. I'm trying the next best thing for me... that is a combination of MAs. I'm attending a trial period of both Hopkido (first hour) and Tae Kwan Do (2nd hour) because both classes have aspects that remind me of HRD.

Unfortunately, the training center is on the other side of town from where I live and the costs, although I'm sure are comparable to others, is still a little steep for a family man. I'm sad to say that these factors will be the deciding factors. But the good news is I found one instructor close to my house and for half the cost. This instructor's Master instructor is the same Master instructor where I'm doing my trial period. So I'll be training with/under a person who has trained under the same person I'm with now. What a break for us!

Glad it's working out for you. :) I suspect that these pragmatic factors come into play for many with families and heavy work responsiblities.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think there is a answer. Just a matter of taste and what you are looking for.

Instructors are important, but its just what you want out of the class. Some people want a real life version fo Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, others want someone that just stepped out of a flower power van. Some want someone with a "whatever works" idea, others want to throw chi balls.

What matters is whether it all fits together. Does the instructor fit the students, does the style fit the facility? Does the teaching method fit the objectives?

Take a wrestling club and a Koryo club. They are very different styles and have very different approaches. If a wrestling club, with the same coach and class started doign Koryo, it wouldn't fit. If a Koryo school started wrestling, same thing. The people don't fit the style, the traing methods don't fit the objectives and the instructor feels like a pop star trying to act.... just wrong...

So that's my answer, the most important thing is that everything fits and feels like it belongs there. Instructor, students, facility, attitude, everything. :)

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
I'm not sure there is only one thing that would draw me to a particular school. In college, I went to a school where my friends trained. (It was across the alley from another school). I started boxing at a gym across the street, because it caught my interest..

Then, I traveled 25 miles one way to train under a man who I respected & was accomplished in his form of MA. I've trained a gyms very close to home, & I've gone across the country to seek out my current instructor.

Instructor, style, & convience are things I'd encourage most folks to look into when choosing a school.

I don't think there is a answer. Just a matter of taste and what you are looking for.

Instructors are important, but its just what you want out of the class. Some people want a real life version fo Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, others want someone that just stepped out of a flower power van. Some want someone with a "whatever works" idea, others want to throw chi balls.

What matters is whether it all fits together. Does the instructor fit the students, does the style fit the facility? Does the teaching method fit the objectives?

Take a wrestling club and a Koryo club. They are very different styles and have very different approaches. If a wrestling club, with the same coach and class started doign Koryo, it wouldn't fit. If a Koryo school started wrestling, same thing. The people don't fit the style, the traing methods don't fit the objectives and the instructor feels like a pop star trying to act.... just wrong...

So that's my answer, the most important thing is that everything fits and feels like it belongs there. Instructor, students, facility, attitude, everything. :)

Oh sure, just muddy the waters. :ultracool Just kidding. Great answers. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought my answer to this question was, The instructor, of course. Then I got to thinking while posting my MA experience in another thread. It seems I might have started an art or school for a particular instructor, and especially if that instructor was available during the premium hours for me--which are different than most people's. But during my journey of roughly 15 years in the Asian arts, instructors and even schools seemed to have come and gone, while the primary arts I study have prevailed: I just sometimes have had to find new instructors or places to study those arts.

So, I'm surprised to say that when I began, I valued the instructor most; but in hindsight, I value more the arts, which have become a permanent part of my life.

Wondered what others thought. And has your experience changed your view(s) over time, as it has mine? Or, might it change in the future under a given set of circumstances?

Looking forward to seeing the poll develop and reading your responses.

All best,

~kidswarrior

The art: Does the art meet what I'm looking for? If you're going to spend the time and money training, its important to be happy and be able to train so you can get the desired results.

The school: This plays a part, but not a real big one. Doesn't matter to me if I'm training in a state of the art 10,000 sq. ft dojo, a backyard or garage. I'm there to learn. Kinda reminds me of when I used to workout at a gym. I worked out in some top notch places, fancy equipment, etc., but to me it seemed like it was more of a fashion show and social hour. Sure its nice to check out the ladies and chat with some friends, but thats not why I'm there. I'm there to workout. I've worked out in smaller gyms with older equipment, but I still got a hell of a workout. :)

The instructor: Does he know how to teach? Does he understand the material? Can he explain the material? Can he apply the material? These are just a few things that come to mind.

Travel time: How far is the school? If I have to drive 2 hrs. it may not be as easy to make that commute as it would be if it was a 1/2 hr. away. Then again, if you had your heart set on that art that was 2hrs away, feel that you can get something out of the training, etc., then go for it..make the drive. :)

The above mentioned things are in no certain order. :)

Mike

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing matters more than an instructor that not only knows his/her stuff, but can motivate you to WANT to put in the effort, time, and commitment to learn what he/she has to teach.

KempoFlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wish it was multiple choice. My answer would be both the studio (location, times etc..) and the instructor.

Latest Discussions