One steps

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How useful are the one steps that you teach or train in do you believe in what you are being tought or do you go though the motion of them and discard them like an old rag?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
How useful are the one steps that you teach or train in do you believe in what you are being tought or do you go though the motion of them and discard them like an old rag?

I seriously looked at all of them before I started teaching, and streamlined the list/changed a few that made the cut (and many did not make it). This was to make sure they were first, practical for self defense, and second, were consistent with the underlying principles of the art (fit into the overall strategy that I settled on). Many of the techniques as I learned them didn't satisfy one or the other criterion.

So, I do teach the select one steps which made the cut according to the art's strategic principles. But, I also balance that with approximately an equal dose of freestyle response training (San Soo).

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We have three one-steps at each belt white through green stripe (total of 18 techniques), five for each belt blue through red (total of 25 techniques), and 10 for each Geup between 1st and 2nd Dan . It is more a mental exercise than anything else, keeping them straight and being able to do any of the techniques when called out in random sequence for a belt test.

We practice and review them all between belts. Of course, I like some better than others - I prefer blocking from the outside with most of the joint locks and throws. And I think that's the point - to have a 'repetoire' so that you can find what works best with your size and skill level.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have pre- arranged one steps (or basic 3- steps- no difference, just an extra punch and block) from white through brown. These vary from school to school for some of the steps- one will do more "fancy" stuff in a set, while another doesn't. I like doing throws and sweeps, so I'll choose those when it comes to time to demonstrate something I "made up". We're able to do that when we reach intermediate/ advanced belts, and have to when we reach 1st Dan.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We only have five - but there are a few variations of each of the five.

For testing, we have to do the five, plus create an unknown number on the spot.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't used "fixed" (that is, memorized) One-Step routines but I will say that One-Step training, if done correctly, can foster the development of real fighting skill.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've crossed swords (well, keyboards) with Brad about this so I want to make it clear what I mean by one-steps. In most textbooks that I've seen, one-steps involve uke coming in from an unrealistic fighting range, throwing an urealistic technique and then standing there cooperatively while tori does something extremely unpleasant that could easily be avoided if uke decided s/he had something a bit more interesting to do (like putting the dishes in the diswasher). It was clear to me that Brad had something very different in mind, but I had a hard time figuring out what it could be, because all of the TKD/karate literature I've see seems to make a clear distinction between self-defense on the one hand and one-step training on the other; thus, for example, in Mark Tedeschi's massive encyclopaedic treatment of TKD, there are chapters on 3-, 2- and 1-step sparring and then a chapter on `self-defense sparring'. That's about as clear a signal as you can get that for at least some authorities, step-sparring isn't really CQ self-defense oriented. My own interest in TKD and other karate-based systems centers on their SD capability, so I've tended to not be too interested in one-steps; if you begin as you mean to go on, the way you're supposed to, then it seems to be a bit inefficient to start with 1-steps.

That's why I'm really interested in kidswarrior's idea of replacing the classical 1-step with a realistic fighting-based kind of sparring practice. I'm really curious about what he, as well as some of the other posters in this thread who seem to be on a similar page with him, can come up with in the way of effective combat training drills. You guys who do this: why not camcord some of your students' training exchanges using these methods and post them to MT? I'm always in the market for something that actually works.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's why I'm really interested in kidswarrior's idea of replacing the classical 1-step with a realistic fighting-based kind of sparring practice. I'm really curious about what he, as well as some of the other posters in this thread who seem to be on a similar page with him, can come up with in the way of effective combat training drills. You guys who do this: why not camcord some of your students' training exchanges using these methods and post them to MT? I'm always in the market for something that actually works.

Many of my students are legally wards of the court, so video taping (even still photos) are verbotten. But may I suggest you check out the Kung Fu San Soo clips I found a week or two ago and posted on the Southern Chinese MA section of MT? That might give us a basis for further discussion. And we have some other San Soo guys here, too, and some Sanda guys (one in particular is world-renowned for his tree-hitting prowess :D). I believe Sanda (police/military form) and Kung Fu San Soo have some strong similarities.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wanted to further repeat, however, that I haven't thrown out prescripted techniques. I think if they are chosen carefully and tested under different conditions, they can serve a purpose, just as forms do. In fact, I think of both as forms--one group shorter, the other longer. The problem with many one-step techs. is the same as with many forms: the way we teach them. Specifically, we empahsize prettiness (form) at the expense of practicality (function and innovation). Yes, there is a designated form, or sequence if speaking of one-steps; but as the growing focus on realistic bunkai is showing, those prescribed moves are only a skeleton on which to hang the flesh of real street defense/combat responses.

So, I teach a San Soo segment of free-flowing response to attack, and One-Step techniques as well. For me, the benefit comes from a balance of practicing both, and ideally a melding of the two after several years (which I haven't had with these students yet).

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The techniques of one-steps themselves are secondary, IMO, to the things one-steps teach:

timing
distance
focus

A nice variety so students get a feel for how near/far they need to be for a kick, for a punch, to block, to avoid, etc., is what is really important, IMHO.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I liked training one-steps WAY back in my TKD days and we do train a kind of one step in Taiji that helps reaction. It is not scripted, it tends to be fast and you are suppose to stay relaxed. It is similar to freestyle push hands but you really do not have as many options and I think it helps response as well as helps one to take advantage of openings.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our one-steps are not scripted... the criteria are "1 attack, 1 block, counter"... that's all that is given. There are no illegal targets, no illegal attacks, nothing - all the things that cannot be done in free sparring can be done in step-sparring. The only difference between step sparring and hol-sin-sul (self-defense) as we teach it, is that step sparring should focus primarily on the TKD techniques (e.g. kicking and punching), although some controls, throws, etc., are allowed as long as there is a predominance of TKD techniques, whereas hol-sin-sul is intended to showcase releases, throws, controls, and joint attacks - which we don't use in free sparring.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find them useful to build muscle memory. Do the technique to the air a couple hundred times, do it in one, two, or four step prearragened sparring a few dozen more times... (makes it easier to use in sparring).

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many of my students are legally wards of the court, so video taping (even still photos) are verbotten. But may I suggest you check out the Kung Fu San Soo clips I found a week or two ago and posted on the Southern Chinese MA section of MT? That might give us a basis for further discussion. And we have some other San Soo guys here, too, and some Sanda guys (one in particular is world-renowned for his tree-hitting prowess :D). I believe Sanda (police/military form) and Kung Fu San Soo have some strong similarities.

I saw those Sa Soo clips last week, found them very impressive for the mix of striking and controlling (i.e., grab-lock-throw) techs that are interlinked. My idea of what any really CQ-effective MA is going to consist of, mythology notwithstanding (`if it's not just kicking, it's not TKD/`if it uses joint locks, it's not karate/[fill in favorite MA cliché rubbish]). I know the San Soo stuff was intended for demo purposes, and uke was as compliant as you'd expect, given that it's a demo; but the combat-effectiveness of some of those techs was obvious.

Our one-steps are not scripted... the criteria are "1 attack, 1 block, counter"... that's all that is given. There are no illegal targets, no illegal attacks, nothing - all the things that cannot be done in free sparring can be done in step-sparring. The only difference between step sparring and hol-sin-sul (self-defense) as we teach it, is that step sparring should focus primarily on the TKD techniques (e.g. kicking and punching), although some controls, throws, etc., are allowed as long as there is a predominance of TKD techniques, whereas hol-sin-sul is intended to showcase releases, throws, controls, and joint attacks - which we don't use in free sparring.

Sounds good to me (although I think that the releases, locks and so on were part of classical TKD—TKD in the kwan era, before the move to purge such elements from the syllabus, parallel to what happened in karate (contrary to the advice of Funakoshi, Motobu and so on; but that's what you get when you make ring competition practice the background assumption of your curriculum...)). If I were designing a complete TKD instructional sequence, I'd seriously consider using a modified version of that approach, I think. You're teaching a very progressive curriculum there, Kacey—from what I've seen and heard, most one-step teaching is of the stilted, tournament sparring range kind, where uke steps in from about eight feet away. For a long time, the idea of `unscripted one-steps' would have seemed an oxymoron to me—aren't they all scripted?? But in my exchange with Brad, and now based on what you, Mark and a few other people are saying, it strikes me that my understanding of `one-step' has probably been a bit too narrow....

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I’d have to agree with zdom and Kacey.
The techniques are not as important as the principles behind them.

When I first learned my art, we concentrated on full extensions.
Essentially, we struck to miss.

Later on, we began training to hit and then control how hard.
Made for much more interesting sessions.

Today, when I train step sparring, I’ll start with a scripted one step.
Then we’ll expand from there (sometimes).

There was a time when free fighting was not part of certain martial arts at all.
The only way to learn some of them was through step sparring.

Yet this way of training did produce some fearsome fighters.
(A young Gogen Yamaguchi comes to mind.)

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am a big fan of one step drills. I have done a various assortment over the years and will second their usefulness in the distance and timing dept.

A single predetermined attack thrown full speed and power is an excellent way to work the effectiveness of your blocking and countering.

After you work the pre arranged attacks move on to unannounced attacks and then unannounced and undetermined till you get to defending without thinking.

One of my personal favorites is the "Ring of Fire" or "No Mind" drill.
Make a circle with one person in the middle then attack him randomly first single then multiple attackers.

-Marc-

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds good to me (although I think that the releases, locks and so on were part of classical TKD—TKD in the kwan era, before the move to purge such elements from the syllabus, parallel to what happened in karate (contrary to the advice of Funakoshi, Motobu and so on; but that's what you get when you make ring competition practice the background assumption of your curriculum...)). If I were designing a complete TKD instructional sequence, I'd seriously consider using a modified version of that approach, I think. You're teaching a very progressive curriculum there, Kacey—from what I've seen and heard, most one-step teaching is of the stilted, tournament sparring range kind, where uke steps in from about eight feet away. For a long time, the idea of `unscripted one-steps' would have seemed an oxymoron to me—aren't they all scripted?? But in my exchange with Brad, and now based on what you, Mark and a few other people are saying, it strikes me that my understanding of `one-step' has probably been a bit too narrow....

This is what we have as our fixed one step sparring: -

GTUK One Step Set Sparring

General Points to start.......

All of the one step sparring start with both students in narani junbi sogi, parallel ready stance. The only line up you will need is extending the arm and fist to the body of your opponent. Similarily, the only attack in one step sparring is to step forward into walking stance, middle obverse punch, (kaunde baro jirugi), therefore it will not be typed out every single time.Each of the one step sparring combinations must be performed with the left and right hand attacking.When the attacker is ready, he or she shouts, or kihaps. The defender then kihaps when he or she is ready.

Number 1 - At Green Tag

Step back on the right leg into a left walking stance (gunnan sogi) whilst performing a left middle inside outer forearm block. (Gunnan sogi wen kaunde bakat palmok makgi).Counter with a right reverse punch (orun bandae jirugi) to the point of the chin. Kihap (shout) on this technique.For a left sided attack, i.e with the left hand, just swap around which leg you move first and which arm blocks and punches. This is the same for all one step sparring.In this instance, defending a left attack would involve stepping back on the left leg performing a right middle outer forearm block, then a left reverse punch to the point of the chin. Swap for left attack.
Number 2

Step back on your left leg forming a left L-stance whilst performing a middle right outside outer forearm block.Step your left leg through into a walking stance then bring your right leg forward to form a left L-stance whilst performing an outward knifehand strike to the attacker's neck. (Niunja so bakuro sonkal taerigi). Kihap (shout) on this strike. Swap for left attack.
Number 3 - At Green Belt

Step back on your left leg to form a left L-stance while performing a right middle inward inside outer forearm block (orun kaunde anuro bakat palmok makgi).Straighten your the back leg and chamber the hands, as you sit back down into the stance perform a back fist strike to the nose or temple. Kihap on this technique. Swap for a left attack.
Number 4

Slip your left leg off on 45 degrees to the outside of the attack to form a sitting stance, while performing a palm block with the left hand, connecting just above the elbow. (Annun so sonbadak makgi).Counter, remaining in sitting stance with a punch to the head and then to the ribs. Kihap on the last punch). Swap for a left attack.

Number 5 - At Blue Tag

Step back on the left leg to form a left L-stance whilst performing an inward inside outer forearm block with the right hand.Bring your front (right) foot halfway into the stance (towards the left foot), then pivot on that right foot in an anti-clockwise direction to form a right fixed stance, performing a back elbow thrust with the left elbow to the solar plexus, (Gojung so wen dwit palkup tulgi). Kihap on the elbow thrust. Swap for left attack.
Number 6

Counter by pivoting on the left foot towards the attacker, assuming a sitting stance so that you are inside their stance and attack, while executing a middle outward block with the left outer forearm and a high punch to the side of the jaw with the right hand simultaneously. Kihap. Swap for a left attack.
Number 7 - At Blue Belt

Counter by pivoting on the left foot towards the attacker, assuming a sitting stance so that you are inside their stance and attack, while executing a middle outward block with the left knifehand and a high inwards knifehand strike to the side of the jaw, neck or temple with the right hand simultaneously. Kihap. Swap for a left attack.
Number 8

Slide backwards on the 45 degree angle to your right assuming a right L-stance forearm guarding block, (Orun niunja so palmok daebi makgi).Counter with a low front snap kick to the lower abdomen landing in a right walking stance. On landing perform obverse then reverse punches to the point of the chin. Kihap on the last punch.Swap for a left attack.

Number 9 - At Red Tag

Slip backwards on the 45 degree angle to your right assuming a right L-stance forearm guarding block.Counter with a high flying front kick. This can be from either leg, but you must make sure that you kick with a different leg on the right and left attack situations. Kihap on the kick. Swap for left attack.
Number 10

Slip backwards on the 45 degree angle to your right assuming a right L-stance forearm guarding block.Counter with a high flying side piercing kick. This can be from either leg, but you must make sure that you kick with a different leg on the right and left attack situations. Kihap on the kick. Swap for left attack.
Number 11 - At Red Belt

Slip backwards on the 45 degree angle to your right assuming a right L-stance forearm guarding block.Counter with a high flying turning kick. This can be from either leg, but is advisable from the back leg and you must make sure that you kick with a different leg on the right and left attack situations. Kihap on the kick. Swap for left attack.
Number 12

Slip backwards on the 45 degree angle to your right assuming a right L-stance forearm guarding block.Counter with a high flying reverse turning kick from the back leg. Kihap on the kick. Swap for left attack.

GTUK One Step Semi-free Sparring
General Points to start.......

The attacker lines up to the defender in the same way as 3 step sparring, he or she then goes back into a left walking stance low block. When he or she is ready to attack, the attacker must shout and wait for the defender to respond with a shout before the attack can begin.This is only done on one side, i.e. not like one step sparring.

Number 1 - At Red Tag

Attacker: Step forward into a right walking stance high obverse punch.
Defender: Step backwards into a left walking stance high outer forearm obverse block, followed by a front snap kick from the back leg, making sure you 'fall' forward after the kick, into a walking stance guarding block.
Attacker: Not moving the feet, perform a low reverse outer forearm block, then counter with a low front snap kick from the front leg to the lower abdomen, placing the kicking leg behind you into a right L-stance guarding block.
Kihap on the kick.
Number 2

Attacker: Steps forward into a right walking stance high obverse forefist punch.
Defender: Backwards into a left walking stance high section double forearm block, followed by reverse high flat fingertip thrust.
Attacker: Flying turning kick with the right leg to the solar plexus (Myong Chi) while moving to the left.
Kihap on the kick.
Number 3 - At Red Belt

Attacker: Step forward low front snap kick form the right leg.
Defender: Step backwards into a left walking stance performing an x-fist pressing block followed by middle reverse punch with the right hand.
Attacker: Before you land the kicking leg, block with a reverse outer forearm block quickly followed by a high obverse punch with the right hand as the right foot hits the ground.
Kihap on this punch.
Number 4

Attacker: Step forward middle side piercing kick from the back (right) leg. Land in sitting stance an perform a back elbow thrust with the left elbow.
Defender: Assume a left L-stance while dodging to the outside of the kick, performing an outwards knifehand strike to the back on the neck.
Defender: Step forward with your right foot then left foot (Double stepping), pivot on the right and perform a high turning kick with the left leg.
Kihap on the turning kick.
Number 5

Attacker: Step foward into a right fixed stance middle forefist side punch.
Defender: Assume a left rear foot stance forearm guarding block. Pivot on the right foot executing a high reverse turning kick with the left leg.
Attacker: Execute a high grasping block. Step your left leg behind your right into an x-stance while still holding the leg. This should push your hips through the opponent causing him or her to fall to the floor. Direct the leg aside and perform a low side piercing kick with the right leg to the groin.

This is what I suspect you mean Exile by the one step sparring being more in line with the traditional ways of TKD rather then the points version which is more visible in free sparring. I like one step, three step and two step sparring, it's more realistic to me to practise moves that will disable an opponant. Although I do like free sparring because it sharpens my awareness, reaction times and makes me less jumpy when someone hits out at me.

Note Semi free number 5... attacking an opponant while they are down.... fantastic!!! (sorry)

Jules_R

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should ever really forget about one-steps. I know that combats are more realistic, but one-steps make you take a step back and think about possible techniques way better than any combat situation can, I believe. I always feel like I have a greater freedom when I'm doing one-steps, and doing them before I practice combats make my combats better.

I know it's super opinionated and someone else may completely disagree, but I'm cool with that. Whatever works for them!