What's most important in choosing a MA school?

What's most important in choosing a place to study MA's?

• The studio (cost, class times/availability, location/distance, accessibility to family, etc.

• The art/type of art (e.g.: street effective; competition-proven; well-rounded; traditional, etc.)

• The instructor (Talking to or watching him/her makes me want to practice this art)

• A recommendation (e.g., of someone or some group I really respect)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I picked the studio. The times of available classes, distance and cost are very important as I have 2 kids @ home. I like my instructor and I think he is quite good. I could probably find one twice as good for twice as much money and double the distance from home. Family first.

It's all about what you need for your training. IMO, I do not need to have an extremely high ranking master to train me. I have trained for almost 7yrs in Shotokan before swtiching to Kempo. The basics are there. I need to learn the system and the essence of it. I find that I have recieved instruction from a 3rd and 4th dan that was just as good and better in 2 cases than the higher ranked instructor.

If you and your instructor don't click it just won't work. I had on instructor that I just didn't get and I felt I was regressing and switched.

-Marc-

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd have to go with the instructor first, style second, studio third. Regardless of what I'm learning, if the person teaching it doesn't know what they're doing, then it really doesn't matter. After that, what I'm learning comes next. It has to be something that I like and that meets my needs. After that, where I learn comes next. If I can get the above at a nice studio, versus somebodies garage, I'll take the studio.