What was the last movie you watched?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night I rented Russel Crow`s "Cinderella Man" and Clint Eastwood`S "Gran Torino". Both were good, but I really loved Gran Torino. I grew up an hour and a half south of Detroit and it reminded me so much of home. I also knew alot of crotchety old men so it was like watching a family reunion of sorts.

Cinderella Man was good too and I`d be raving about it if I hadn`t liked GT so much.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both were good, but I really loved Gran Torino.

You know what, when I saw the trailers for GT, I thought, "Geriatric Dirty Harry, this is going to be a rip-off." When I rented it, I was so sorry I hadn't seen it in the cinema. Spoiler alert ahead if you haven't seen it...

What totally threw me, and what I think made the script so ingenious, is that the Eastwood character doesn't kill the baddies, even though the audience knows he's capable of doing it and would kind of understand if he did. His heroic act is not vigilantism, but self-sacrifice and ultimately atonement for his own past. So what I thought was going to be a fairly obvious shoot-em-up ended up being a rather thoughtful drama.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Descent.... thought it was NOT bad ... some of the caving stuff was like ... uhh... no. But the monsters and the horror aspect were typical... last one standing... the ending was different... mental break down and such.
Overall not bad. But I'm not sure about watching The Descent 2... it depends.

OP
D

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know what, when I saw the trailers for GT, I thought, "Geriatric Dirty Harry, this is going to be a rip-off." When I rented it, I was so sorry I hadn't seen it in the cinema. Spoiler alert ahead if you haven't seen it...

What totally threw me, and what I think made the script so ingenious, is that the Eastwood character doesn't kill the baddies, even though the audience knows he's capable of doing it and would kind of understand if he did. His heroic act is not vigilantism, but self-sacrifice and ultimately atonement for his own past. So what I thought was going to be a fairly obvious shoot-em-up ended up being a rather thoughtful drama.

I was a little suprised at that, but When he got the haircut and a new suit, I kinda figured it was coming. But you`re right, he makes some really nice drams. I wonder if that`ll be his last film in front of the camera.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last film for me ... hmmm ... AVP2 last Saturday - I was showing some friends just how bad it was :lol:.

A 7 minute response time from the National Guard - darn that's some high state of readiness (and very fast armoured vehicles too :D).

Slickly made, not too badly acted, clearly had a lot of money spent on it ... even the story-line wouldn't have been too bad if it had been developed properly (once you let go of the fact that it's not the story it's supposed to be).

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Triple DVD...Chuck Norris: Logans War, & 2 versions of the The Presidents Men...Walmart $5.00 not even listed in his bio of Movies...

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dead Air, with Bill Mosely from The Devil's Rejects fame. Not a bad little flick, I wouldn't classify it as a zombie flick, it was more along the lines of 28 days later with fast moving, infected people.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BLACK DYNAMITE....DYNAMITE!

If you were a fan at all of old movies like Shaft, Superfly, Foxy Brown, etc. or even if you've just seen a few of them, this move is amazing. Get's everything right, and hilarious. I'm tellin' you.

Donuts don't wear alligator shoes.

Whaddayou think Captain Kangaroo pimp?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu

I was told by a friend of mine that I reminded him of a less prejudiced, younger Walt Kowalski. When I asked, he said that that was Clint's character in Gran Torino. In light of this review I Guess I should take that as a rather high compliment.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Australia, with Nicole Kidman. It was not bad, better than I expected in fact. The first half was comedic, almost cartoony with the uptight English lady moving to Australia and adapting to the Outback life. Midway through it changes tone completely and becomes an epic drama about WW2 and self sacrifice. I liked both halves, but it was like two completely different movies thrown together. Baz Luhrman must be schizophrenic.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
i watched Taken last night after class. i actually saw liem nieson do a trapping techinque very similar to what i had learned earlier in the night, which was pretty cool. he was frikin' ruthless in that movie! loved it.

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
2012, i sit and watch it until it finish but have notice a lot of people leaving the cinema halfway. To be honest, i have watch a lot of movie this year and 2012 is not really a good movie.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I turned off cable to save money, and hubby and I have been watching our old movies together. Last night was: Die Hard I and IV.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watched an old favorite last night, Gladiator w/ Russell Crowe.

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions