Watching/learning from actual animals

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In my style, Uechi-ryu, the traditional iconic animals that are said to be the basis of many techniques are dragon, tiger, and crane; however, I have been recently reminded that other styles use animals such as snake, panther, monkey, etc.

I thought there was a prior thread about watching actual animals and learning or getting ideas from them, but I can't find it. So I thought I would start this thread for thoughts/comment/ideas.

Have you ever sat and watched an animal (real life, animal planet, Attenborough special, etc) and learned something useful for your MA practice?

While Kayaking last summer, I got to watch a mother heron teaching her babies to fish. It was fascinating, and it was good instruction on the mechanics of a quick strike. She would wind up by pulling her head back (her body in the standard S shape), and then she would whip her body neck and head in a whip like fashion, uncoiling her body from middle to top, to snap her beak out and down to catch the tiny fishes. It was amazingly fast, and it was a whole body recoil reaction. while it was only her head and neck that moved a great distance, you could see her whole body involvement.

I think I need to go watch my cats tussle a bit...there's probably tons I could learn there! Your experiences?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever watched a sloth? On those TV nature shows, one narrator said that part of the sloths defensive mechanism is it's extremely slow movement... that predators don't seem to notice it. It moves so slowly, that moss grows on it!

So, as I get on a bit in years, I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything like a sloth style. I'd continue, but it's time for my nap...

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to copy the awareness of my groundhog. That SOB can sense me when I'm ~70 ft away and in my house looking through a window with no light on the inside so the window is acting like a degraded mirror. I'm sure I could ambush him, but I don't have the skill to stalk him.

I know that's not exactly what you were asking for but I still think it applies.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ive watched animal before and been impressed by their movements and abilities, but anything I could learn from them was more from tactics and concepts rather than a specific body motion.
Mostly because of certain significant anatomical differences.

OP
Live True

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Shuto and Geezer...I'm open to all comments..but I have to admit that both of yours have me SMILING BIG TIME!

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like watching my cats.

The one (more agressive) luls the less agressive brother into a false sense of security by lying on his back and insisting he is washed.

Less aggressive then proceeds to wash more agressive brother.

After about 10 seconds of washing, the more agressive cat grabs less aggressive around the neck and pulls him in tight whilst simultaneously using both hind legs to kick him in the head repeatedly.

Not sure I learn anything but its damn funny to watch.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually bought a kitten to understand the principles of the tiger better (they act the same; the only difference is scale). In addition to understanding the tiger better, I've also learned that anything, anything can be a toy (your hand, your keys, the air...) and that if you have a full grown cat and get a kitten, the cat will end up annoyed most of the day while the kitten furtively attempts to establish dominance.

OP
Live True

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Josh, I think a kitten (and a human baby for that matter) help us to rediscover the joys of everyday experiences and the pleasure of hte moment...and that concept can translate well to MA.

And the dominance thing...scale can lead to some great jokes, eh?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my style, Uechi-ryu, the traditional iconic animals that are said to be the basis of many techniques are dragon, tiger, and crane; however, I have been recently reminded that other styles use animals such as snake, panther, monkey, etc.
The dragon definitely does it for me. Has the best 'kokyu nage' ever! (Non-aikidoka - look it up
icon10.gif
)

jeorf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was watching a sparring match in our school one day and I saw pure animal interaction. Person one was beginning to move toward person two and person two made a very subtle movement that completely sent person one back and away. I have been around horses forever and this is what I see in them. If a horse doesn't want another horse to come near they'll flick an ear or lift their head an inch and the approaching horse turns back. I was so impressed when I saw this happen in class.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK, yesterday I was outdoors on the patio at Starbucks having a cup of joe (regular coffee, medium size, no fancy crap) with a friend. A guy sat down at the table next to us and his dog came over, tail wagging, looking for attention or a handout. It was a smallish, older lab with a little white on his muzzle and big brown eyes. My friend instinctively reached down and gave the dog a pat. The dog responded happily, cleaned up the remains of a crumbcake from under the table and went back over to his master. Shortly later a rather attractive woman passed by and stopped to pat the friendly critter. The dog's master, on cue, struck up a conversation. They were happily chatting when we left a few minutes later.

Now, I agree that cats are the coolest. I have two. But I'm too old, stiff and slow to move like my cats. But that old dog really had his technique down. Forget sloth-style. I'm gonna study friendly-dog kung-fu.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Natural teaches all animals to "RUN" or escape first...

When corner? ...fight like a cat.....or become an animal...

Aloha,

OP
Live True

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The dragon definitely does it for me. Has the best 'kokyu nage' ever! (Non-aikidoka - look it up
icon10.gif
)

Thank you K'man! I learned some good things in looking that up..if you are interested...one of the better explanations (from a non aikido person, mind you) I found was here. however, I would encourage you to look around...you might find a better explanation or page...if so, please post it and share!

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you K'man! I learned some good things in looking that up..if you are interested...one of the better explanations (from a non aikido person, mind you) I found was here. however, I would encourage you to look around...you might find a better explanation or page...if so, please post it and share!
It is you who deserve the thanks for finding such an informative article. In fact the essence of Aikido is found in the last para:
As it turns out, kokyu nage is the technique, or category of techniques, that's giving me the most difficulty since moving over to the AikiKai in February - with the possible exception of nikyo and sankyo. One intriguing concept that I'd never thought of is this: It's not uncommon for an experienced aikidoist in this tradition to leave the idea of technique behind, and focus on feeling, movement, timing, etc.
You see this a lot in jiyu waza, which is what Tomiki folks would call multiple attacker randori. As nage (tori) moves through his attackers, weaving between them so that none cvan get a firm grip on him, he begins throwing them one by one, without using any specific techniques. He doesn't have time for techniques, which require setup and execution. He only has time for movement within the Aiki principle. He may do what I call a shoulder-ate, which may look a bit like a sloppy guruma, but that's not the principle behind what he's doing. The principle is kokyu nage.
To my simple mind Aikido really is, 'enter with irimi, hit with kokyu'. The technique becomes irrelevent. I am trying to apply the same principle to my karate. :asian:

Latest Discussions