Texas Bans Execution Last Meals

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the sanctity of life is worth protecting, its worth protecting in all cases.
That is a fallacy.
Sometimes taking one life protects countless others.
(and unless you are at least vegetarian....)

The exceptions nullify it as a moral precept. They make it arbitrary and relative. That's why the greater good is always used to justify the murder of undesirables. Sometimes morality forces you into tough decisions. This is one of them.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

The absolute of the tabu of taking a human life is offset by necessity of self defense or war.

We are not talking about 'undesirables' we are talking about people who have and will damage the structure of society with their own disregard for the sanctity of the life and well being of others.

This is not about killing retarded people, gays or communists, but putting dangerous criminals away for good. You know, those kinds that are a danger to even the staff of the facility they are being held at. (and no, I don't consider locking a human being up from 23 out of 24 hours and put them for 'exercise' into a small cage humane)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How is killing someone in a cage self defense? Aren't they defenseless and at your mercy?

If we can execute one undesirable we can execute another. It always happens like that.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem for me is we cannot be sure that every person being executed is guilty. If there were certainty of no innocent person being killed, I would not have issue with the death penalty. However, there are multiple instances of men being convicted and sentnced to death in error. How many innocent men dying are worth the guilty paying the ultimate price?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good point. Death is permanent.

One more thing I'd like to add is that the idea that we can kill for the greater good is very dangerous. The individual cannot control how the greater good is going to be defined.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is killing someone in a cage self defense? Aren't they defenseless and at your mercy?

If we can execute one undesirable we can execute another. It always happens like that.

You are splitting hairs.

I said killing in self defense has always been excluded from the tabu of 'thou shalt not kill'

And I don't say were 'it always happens like that' except in Texas, of course.

There are crimes that, while terrible, don't really call for the death penalty, since it seems to be a means of revenge.

Other cases, well....

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are splitting hairs.

I said killing in self defense has always been excluded from the tabu of 'thou shalt not kill'

And I don't say were 'it always happens like that' except in Texas, of course.

There are crimes that, while terrible, don't really call for the death penalty, since it seems to be a means of revenge.

Other cases, well....

If it's not self defense, how do you justify your support of the death penalty? What is the underlying moral principle you are drawing on?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the sanctity of life is worth protecting, its worth protecting in all cases. The exceptions nullify it as a moral precept. They make it arbitrary and relative. That's why the greater good is always used to justify the murder of undesirables. Sometimes morality forces you into tough decisions. This is one of them.

I couldn't disagree with this more if I was paid to do so.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's the terrifying truth that I think is worth pondering. You cannot control this. You can't control who society decides to kill because of convenience. You can convince yourself that its for the "greater good" and pretend to go along with it and hope that your number never comes up, but there are no guarantees. The "greater good" is a constantly shifting bar and it never is and never will be defined by what you want. This is the essence of moral relativism.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the sanctity of life is worth protecting, its worth protecting in all cases. The exceptions nullify it as a moral precept. They make it arbitrary and relative. That's why the greater good is always used to justify the murder of undesirables. Sometimes morality forces you into tough decisions. This is one of them.

So, am I safe to assume you're more in favor of life w/o parole vs. the death penalty? Hey, I'm for either one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hard to satisfy everyone's idea of what society should be like. Wouldn't it be great if we could all have our philosophical ideals met?
Here's a fantasy of mine, so everybody gets what they want....
Head of the household registers how he/she wants crime against their family handled. Death penalty where it applies, carried out within 48 hours of the appeal after the conviction. It's even fair to the criminal element as we can allow them access to the registration at the local city hall so they can decide who they want to commit crime against.

JAIL - your family provides your food. I know, some don't have family and some families are so poor they couldn't afford it. Too bad, they don't eat. I know, that's too harsh. Okay, so on our income tax form you can check off if you want EXTRA money taken from your taxes to feed and care for the prison population. I don't, so I don't pay. And I'm not about to impose my harsh ideals on anyone else, so they can check off on their tax form as they see fit. I'd rather have my money used to help deserving kids and families (you know, ones that DON'T murder, rape etc.)

The prison population will be forced to work hard, too, if not, no cookies and milk. :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If corporations are people, can we execute them for murder?