Moved from NC to MI

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of you may know we just moved from NC to MI. Economics had dictated that I was living and working in MI for the past three years, while my wife and mother-in-law were living in NC in our home, which we were trying to sell. Sadly, the economy fell off a cliff, I had several pay cuts at work, and we lost the house. However, we rented a house in MI and life goes on. So we needed to get everyone from there to here.

Last week, my wife drove her Jeep Cherokee from NC to MI pulling a U-Haul trailer and our three cats. We got the trailer unloaded, left the cats in the new place, and she drove back down to NC. I took a one-way flight from Detroit to Raleigh a few days later (I would have driven down with her, but could not get the time off work). She picked me up at the airport, we rented a gigantic truck from U-Haul, and hired some loaders to help us out.

Things were happening at the house in NC. The week my wife drove up to MI with the trailer, the air conditioning went out; it was in the high 90's in NC that week. Of course, we did not fix it; hundreds of dollars to fix the A/C on a house we were about to lose. The day I arrived back in NC, my wife greeted me with the news that the 'hot water heater was making funny noises'. Yes, it was. It had no bottom in it anymore, having puked all over the boiler room (old house, separate room from the house). Not replacing that, either. So no hot water for showers the next two days...

We got the thing loaded in about three hours with everything we owned. Anything that did not fit, did not go. I left behind some things I treasured, but oh well. My wife did too. Oh well, life goes on.

We drove up I-95, dodged around Richmond VA, Washington, DC, and Baltimore, MD, ending up for the night in Breezewood, PA. I can recommend the Wiltshire Motel. Great owner, very nice man, and it's pet-friendly. We had the two dogs with us.

Next day (and a hot shower, thankfully), we got back on the road and ended up at the new place around 5 p.m. We unpacked a few essentials and waited for the morning, when we had a couple more movers hired to help us unload. They did a great job, and we returned the rental truck and now comes the unpacking.

Sadly, I have to return to work tomorrow morning; my employer could not give me anymore time off, we're in the middle of massive projects that are pressing on us. I guess it's a good thing; in the middle of all these layoffs and offshored IT workers, I still have a job and am needed (for now, eh?).

My wife is left with unpacking and organizing the house. Then we have to get our paperwork in order and see the lawyer man...that'll be another fun adventure, I'm sure.

Here's some photos from the trip...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wigwam/sets/72157623958749033/

Anyway, I'm baaaaack!

Oh, it going to HURT getting back into the dojo. A whole week off!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bittersweet news. I am sad to hear of the surrounding events, but so happy that you all made it!

Raising a glass of bubbly...water in celebration. My thoughts and prayers for good times ahead, and that you all enjoy your time together in your lovely new home :)

Latest Discussions