What to do if people train too hard

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, I hate explaining jokes....and you said on another thread you had a sense of humour! right... Deja moo, a play on deja vu only it's 'moo' because it's BS, get it?
no you made a typo, .

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
why does being taller and heavier make them stronger, that's the same nonsense tea was coming out with

That's just basic human physiology... the larger the frame, the stronger you are/your capacity to grow and carry muscle goes up. Look at any scale of strength and see how it goes up the larger a person is. They have weight classes in sports (including lifting) for a very good reason. I don't care how much a 100 lbs woman works out... I will be able to out lift her and throw her across a room and I'm not even a big gym rat.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
To the OP, don't feel pressured to roll with jerks who want to smash you. Take care of yourself. There is a lbalance you need to find for yourself between pushing yourself and just getting hammered.

I recommend looking for opportunities to roll with upper belts whenever possible, and also look for people who are around your size. Also talk to small dudes and the other women in your school or online for advice and support. The female BJJ community is mighty. And if you stick with it, you will find you're part of a pretty awesome group of amazing people.

Enjoy yourself. Push yourself but remember to enjoy yourself and do what you need to to keep it fun.

Also remember that the jerk white belt who seems to enjoy crushing you will probably quit before he gets his blue belt, so don't be afraid to decline to roll with him.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's just basic human physiology... the larger the frame, the stronger you are/your capacity to grow and carry muscle goes up. Look at any scale of strength and see how it goes up the larger a person is. They have weight classes in sports (including lifting) for a very good reason. I don't care how much a 100 lbs woman works out... I will be able to out lift her and throw her across a room and I'm not even a big gym rat.
well that not true, the larger you are does not mean the,stronger you are or that you have a greater capacity to grow muscle

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi - first time poster here

I am the only female in my class of no gi/bjj but I mostly train another martial art (one stripe white belt in bjj). I stopped doing bjj especially no gi because I found men would constantly try to smash me to the point that I was just avoiding getting seriously hurt.

I've asked my friends about it and they said to just ask people to ease back a bit but I don't want to be labelled that woman people have to go easier on.

It is not everyone, it is certain strong guys - particularly the newer ones (I'm sure everyone here has experienced it) - unfortunately I don't have the strength or technique to avoid it.

I hardly every do bjj but every now and then I think oh maybe it is better now - so last night again I tried, and there was a really strong guy who caught my arm and was rolling sideways with my arm caught just to get the submission - my elbow was very close to breaking and I yelled out tap tap tap but he even delayed letting go - I don't think it was on purpose but it was a real dick move and I was annoyed as who wants a broken elbow because of some idiot.

Anyway - I want to be able to train no gi but I feel like every time I try I'm scouting out the few people who wont hurt me, which is a shame because I find it quite fun.

Any advice? or should I just not do it anymore?

It's not fair if someone bigger and stronger than you is upping the intensity more than usual just because you are smaller and weaker. I've trained with both men and women in BJJ, I always tried to train the same with both, with belt ranked taken into consideration of course. That way the women get good realistic training. However; it isn't right going extra hard on you just because you're a woman, if that's the case. Especially if they aren't letting go immediately if you tap, that's a really low thing to do. There's a difference in training hard and training foolishly, putting yourself in the situation you described sounds like a serious injury waiting to happen.

I would speak to the instructor about it, tell him that you like to train but inform him of the situation. He should keep a close eye on you rolling with the guys, that way he can interject if he sees the things you've described. If he doesn't do anything about it look for another school/instructor. An instructor should always have the safety and well-being of their students in mind.

Good luck in your training

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you read the thread he was referring to? He is likening the OP to the female mentioned in the OP on that one, an over aggressive female.

Yes. If she is over aggressive she will get manhandled.

Not sure what the issue is.

You may have noticed I don't tend to coddle people.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sorry you've lost me with that, having more strengh will make it worse how does that work?

You can't really strength your way out if you are always going to have less strength. Yes strength is good but won't solve this problem.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
why does being taller and heavier make them stronger, that's the same nonsense tea was coming out with

If you physically have more mass you will be stronger. That is why there are weight classes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes. If she is over aggressive she will get manhandled.

Not sure what the issue is.

You may have noticed I don't tend to coddle people.
Okay. Let's see how well I do channeling Tez3:

"I don't know what you're going on about, dear boy. I don't coddle people, and I tell it like it is. I don't know what it's like where you live, but here we speak plainly and don't molly coddle. If you earn our respect, it is well deserved, and we have little time for small minded people spewing nonsense. Our squaddies are hard as nails, as are their families, who have all experienced hardship unknown in other parts of the world.

The issue is that foolish people are ignorant and enjoy trolling threads, stirring up trouble and never contribute anything constructive to a thread. And with that, I think I've had just about enough of you.

And by the way, I'm not angry. I'm also not arguing."

Let's see how close I am. :D

Tez3, if you do see this, I'm teasing you. :)

OP
N

Nev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
oooh-kay - not sure how this turned into 4 pages of argueing.

To clarify I am not overly aggressive the issue I have is with newer stronger men. Mr almost arm breaker I have noticed in the past is far too hard and just tries to muscle his way into a submission so I have avoided him in the past, but yesterday it was only me and him left and it felt rude to just walk away. I suppose I could say I was taking a break but I decided to give him a chance. He has been doing it for 6 months and doesn't compete but I doubt anyone has told him he goes too hard. I spoke to one of my male friends and they agreed he goes too hard but they just laughed it off.

In my gym there is not really an supervision or assistance for the newbies in bjj, they just turn up, get bashed up and eventually learn something. I suppose the instructor thinks everyone else can manage themselves but another girl also quit doing bjj because she is little and got tired of getting people fling their entire weight at her to try smash her. I thought I had a better chance then her since I'm tall but my limbs are long and easily twisted, lol.

I disagree with the get stronger/better statement. My first few weeks doing bjj some strong kid grabbed my arm in an arm bar and twisted my hand around, tearing my shoulder muscle - I was in a sling for 2 weeks. When I came back and asked him why he did that he said "I think I learnt it in taekwondo or something". If I had been trying to fight off the arm bar it would have been worse - this was when my arm was quite floppy. Though perhaps your statement didn't mean stronger as in being able to fight off submissions harder, but just getting more skilled. Which in that case I have noticed since I've been doing it for a year and a half I can avoid situations like that, but as I said before, my issue is with the bigger, musclier men who use all their force.

I only cross train bjj, but I've basically stopped because of the lack of control some people have, it becomes too much of a scan of the class to see who I should avoid and who is relatively safe. Too much work.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

To clarify I am not overly aggressive the issue I have is with newer stronger men. Mr almost arm breaker I have noticed in the past is far too hard and just tries to muscle his way into a submission so I have avoided him in the past, but yesterday it was only me and him left and it felt rude to just walk away. I suppose I could say I was taking a break but I decided to give him a chance. He has been doing it for 6 months and doesn't compete but I doubt anyone has told him he goes too hard. I spoke to one of my male friends and they agreed he goes too hard but they just laughed it off.

In my gym there is not really an supervision or assistance for the newbies in bjj, they just turn up, get bashed up and eventually learn something. I suppose the instructor thinks everyone else can manage themselves but another girl also quit doing bjj because she is little and got tired of getting people fling their entire weight at her to try smash her. I thought I had a better chance then her since I'm tall but my limbs are long and easily twisted, lol.

I disagree with the get stronger/better statement. My first few weeks doing bjj some strong kid grabbed my arm in an arm bar and twisted my hand around, tearing my shoulder muscle - I was in a sling for 2 weeks. When I came back and asked him why he did that he said "I think I learnt it in taekwondo or something". If I had been trying to fight off the arm bar it would have been worse - this was when my arm was quite floppy. Though perhaps your statement didn't mean stronger as in being able to fight off submissions harder, but just getting more skilled. Which in that case I have noticed since I've been doing it for a year and a half I can avoid situations like that, but as I said before, my issue is with the bigger, musclier men who use all their force.

I only cross train bjj, but I've basically stopped because of the lack of control some people have, it becomes too much of a scan of the class to see who I should avoid and who is relatively safe. Too much work.
I hope you don't stop training BJJ. Hang in there. And ignore the sniping and backbiting. Its all in good fun.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

My advice then would be to talk to the instructor about this and if nothing changes then just leave. At the end of the day you have a life and job outside of MA and if you are getting constantly injured during training, it could severely affect your life. If I had my arm in a sling for 2 weeks I wouldn't be able to work at all during that time, meaning I wouldn't get paid and probably put me behind on my bills, etc. It's simply not worth it.

OP
N

Nev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My advice then would be to talk to the instructor about this and if nothing changes then just leave. At the end of the day you have a life and job outside of MA and if you are getting constantly injured during training, it could severely affect your life. If I had my arm in a sling for 2 weeks I wouldn't be able to work at all during that time, meaning I wouldn't get paid and probably put me behind on my bills, etc. It's simply not worth it.

I am not getting constantly injured but on some occassions it is too close for comfort. I think I will just stop doing no gi anyway because my instructor would probably say something like keep training and get stronger.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can't really strength your way out if you are always going to have less strength. Yes strength is good but won't solve this problem.
, if this problem sis the one the op gave then yes it might.
people who don't train,strengh are general only using about 30%of the,strengh their existing muscles can give.

if that applies to both the male and female then they both have massive scope for improvement, if we say for arguments sake that she only has 75% of his strength, then she can easily double that giving her,150% of an untrained males strengh, so in a few months when an untrained male walks in off the,street, she will be,able to more than match him

and she,still has another 40% of her strengh to access, should she wish to continue to improve, she will never catch up with a male that trains to reach his,full strength potential, but that is a very small % of the population even at bjj gyms

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Martial Talk magic. Sssh.

We have a lot of Type A personalities, some of whom really know what they are talking about. Bear with us please. ;-)

I don't know anything about BJJ or your school. But I simply cannot believe good things can come from a school that turns new students lambs loose among those wolves who have survived, without any training. I wouldn't be inclined to stay there if that is the case.

Latest Discussions