Grappling gi without the stuffed lapel?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love a good Judo gi, and often drool over some of the cool BJJ gi's out there (mostly thanks to BJJHQ). But they have one thing I really don't like about them: those danged stuffed lapels. This is advertised as a feature in many BJJ uniforms. And for competition, it is. For both Judo and BJJ competition, having a thicker lapel means it's harder for your opponent to use it against you (harder to grip).

But I don't care about that. I'm more interested in having to defend against those grips, than about avoiding them via fabric. I want a gi like the one I used when I trained Judo 30+ years ago. It was a pebble-weave (like the one I wear now, though possibly less thick), and the collar was relatively thick, but just because it was made of heavy fabric (and apparently, folded no more than the lightweight Karate gi's I've also trained in). So it was easy to grip.

Do such things still exist?

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I love a good Judo gi, and often drool over some of the cool BJJ gi's out there (mostly thanks to BJJHQ). But they have one thing I really don't like about them: those danged stuffed lapels. This is advertised as a feature in many BJJ uniforms. And for competition, it is. For both Judo and BJJ competition, having a thicker lapel means it's harder for your opponent to use it against you (harder to grip).

But I don't care about that. I'm more interested in having to defend against those grips, than about avoiding them via fabric. I want a gi like the one I used when I trained Judo 30+ years ago. It was a pebble-weave (like the one I wear now, though possibly less thick), and the collar was relatively thick, but just because it was made of heavy fabric (and apparently, folded no more than the lightweight Karate gi's I've also trained in). So it was easy to grip.

yes...but i cant find my link to share.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

part of the construction of a lot of the lapels for bjj actually use rubber or EVA foam as the stuffing.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
part of the construction of a lot of the lapels for bjj actually use rubber or EVA foam as the stuffing.
Yeah, it’s a common feature. My Judo gi has a super-thick lapel, though I don’t think it has foam.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks, I’ll give it a look.
Screenshot_20190212-212336_Messenger.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Fuji gis don’t have any extra stuffing. My Sanabul gi has a little stuffing, but it’s not any harder to grip the lapels than with the Fuji.

I havent seen any
What bothers me more is that many BJJ gi lack ties like my Karate gi
I don’t think I’ve ever had a BJJ or Judo gi that did have ties. I don’t think they would survive long under the stress of grappling.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever had a BJJ or Judo gi that did have ties. I don’t think they would survive long under the stress of grappling.

Depending on the gi - likely. My ultra heavy weight karate gi has lasted 10 years of decently well rounded sparring, throwing and grappling and the ties are still strong.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent seen any
What bothers me more is that many BJJ gi lack ties like my Karate gi
While I like the ties, I find grappling with much gi-grabbing stresses them a lot, so they often either break or weaken the seams (depending how strong the ties are). I've gotten used to not having the ties.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Fuji gis don’t have any extra stuffing. My Sanabul gi has a little stuffing, but it’s not any harder to grip the lapels than with the Fuji.

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Fuji line to see what strikes me.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the gi - likely. My ultra heavy weight karate gi has lasted 10 years of decently well rounded sparring, throwing and grappling and the ties are still strong.

Try a pullover, like the TKD dobak. Doesn't need ties. And yes, you can get them in heavy materials.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a pullover, like the TKD dobak. Doesn't need ties. And yes, you can get them in heavy materials.
Bah, those things aren't real! :p

EDIT: Clicked too fast. Was going to say I don't know if I can get used to that type of uniform. And then I'd have to get used to requiring them for the students. I'm too stodgy for that much change.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

EDIT: Clicked too fast. Was going to say I don't know if I can get used to that type of uniform. And then I'd have to get used to requiring them for the students. I'm too stodgy for that much change.

Why would you have to require them? You could just let them wear the sort they prefer...
Because Merica.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you have to require them? You could just let them wear the sort they prefer...
Because Merica.
I've considered that in the past. The school I'm restarting at is pretty traditional, so having everyone in a uniform (though ours will be different from theirs) fits the environment better. In the past I've gone back and forth. I'm VERY used to uniforms - everything I've trained in for any extended period (except my time in FMA) used them: Judo, Shotokan Karate, NGA, Aikido. There will be some mix at the new school, because I'll allow the Karate students to train in their white Karate gi, probably until yellow belt. Maybe someday I'll get used to it enough that odd uniform colors and styles don't bug me.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've considered that in the past. The school I'm restarting at is pretty traditional, so having everyone in a uniform (though ours will be different from theirs) fits the environment better. In the past I've gone back and forth. I'm VERY used to uniforms - everything I've trained in for any extended period (except my time in FMA) used them: Judo, Shotokan Karate, NGA, Aikido. There will be some mix at the new school, because I'll allow the Karate students to train in their white Karate gi, probably until yellow belt. Maybe someday I'll get used to it enough that odd uniform colors and styles don't bug me.
As much as I hate to say who cares what you’re wearing as long as you train seriously and hard, I’m with you on the uniforms. Everyone wearing something different gives me a headache. I love @Buka ’s old pics of his crew wearing some crazy stuff, but I couldn’t handle it myself.

Both organizations I’ve been in, everyone wore the same thing - white karate gi, sleeves either all the way down or rolled up half way up the wrist, pants near the ankles. Same patches in the same places. My former organization even had everyone wearing the same sparring gear. Seido allows white or black only. Kaicho got tired of seeing people wearing crazy colors and patterns. I think the final straw was a guy who showed up with a different color for each piece - helmet and each glove and boot.

They’re called uniforms for a reason. Uniform means the same.

I wish I didn’t care. But I just can’t.

Rant over. For a few minutes anyway ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Bjj gi would be more versatile.

And you can get custom jobs.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

As much as I hate to say who cares what you’re wearing as long as you train seriously and hard, I’m with you on the uniforms. Everyone wearing something different gives me a headache. I love @Buka ’s old pics of his crew wearing some crazy stuff, but I couldn’t handle it myself.

Both organizations I’ve been in, everyone wore the same thing - white karate gi, sleeves either all the way down or rolled up half way up the wrist, pants near the ankles. Same patches in the same places. My former organization even had everyone wearing the same sparring gear. Seido allows white or black only. Kaicho got tired of seeing people wearing crazy colors and patterns. I think the final straw was a guy who showed up with a different color for each piece - helmet and each glove and boot.

They’re called uniforms for a reason. Uniform means the same.

I wish I didn’t care. But I just can’t.

Rant over. For a few minutes anyway ;)

Uniforms, sure. But you don't necessarily have to be totally anal about it.
You can have some rules and still let people have some choice.
Require everyone to wear white or black. I doubt you'd really notice if some were wrap and some were pullover.

We require geup ranks to wear a plain white dobak. Sometimes people wear a karate-style wrap gi. No big deal. Not even a small deal.
Chodanbo (black belt candidates) can wear a dobak with a black collar.
Dan ranks commonly switch to black pants.
Personally, I like my diamond pattern dobaks. I usually wear white with black diamonds, but I also have black with white. And a red with black, that I wear for Valentines or Christmas or when I just need a little color in my life.
I keep meaning to get some green pants to wear with it for Christmas...

Latest Discussions