Judo For Self-Defense On The Street?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You said it looked boring and going on to say in other thread why grapplers vs striking.

Thread called.

Why do people think grappling arts always beat striking arts?

So you think people in MMA emphasis grappling too much?

That doesn't mean I hate grapplers. I myself train in grappling arts as well as striking arts, so that would be hypothetical of me to hate them.

I was simply asking a question about why do people generally believe a striker will always lose to a grappler.

As far as mma goes, if they want more viewers then they should really consider putting some limitations in grappling or at least the ground game because that majority of people do find that boring to watch.

When many people are finding a televised sport boring to watch then that is obviously bad for ratings and bad for business.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't mean I hate grapplers. I myself train in grappling arts as well as striking arts, so that would be hypothetical of me to hate them.

I was simply asking a question about why do people generally believe a striker will always lose to a grappler.

As far as mma goes, if they want more viewers then they should really consider putting some limitations in grappling or at least the ground game because that majority of people do find that boring to watch.

When many people are finding a televised sport boring to watch then that is obviously bad for ratings and bad for business.
To be fair your instructor trains grappling and he shows you a little bit. Not really the same thing since your instructor is a low level grappler who isn't really qualified to teach it.

As for mma what are they supposed to do dumb it down for the random drunks watching. You've called people who talk trash about martial arts ignorant idiots yet you want to dumb down a combat sport where grappling is a large part of it to appeal to those type of people.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be fair your instructor trains grappling and he shows you a little bit. Not really the same thing since your instructor is a low level grappler who isn't really qualified to teach it.

As for mma what are they supposed to do dumb it down for the random drunks watching. You've called people who talk trash about martial arts ignorant idiots yet you want to dumb down a combat sport where grappling is a large part of it to appeal to those type of people.

There is still my Judo experience which I use often. My sifu also continues to train in bjj and travels all the way to los Angeles for it every weekend.

As far as what mma should do, yes dumb it down. The difference between your comparison and my statement is that "the drunk idiots" are the life blood of the franchise because without their money and their views there would be no ufc, and would be no televised mma.

If the viewers are not being entertained that is an obvious problem because they will cease to watch said programming, which of course means less money. It is very obvious rolling on the floor is not entertaining to many people and that has been an ongoing problem since it has been conceived.

Is it effective? Sure it is, but it sure as hell is not fun to watch. People find scoring knockouts and drawing blood far more entertaining that that, it's the reason boxing still has more revenue than ufc and probably always will.

As far my instructors qualifications he is very qualified to show me the grappling in Shou shu, he himself said he doesn't wish to teach us bjj until his instructors tell him it's alright for him to do it.

Last edited:

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is still my Judo experience which I use often. My sifu also continues to train in bjj and travels all the way to los Angeles for it every weekend.

As far as what mma should do, yes dumb it down. The difference between your comparison and my statement is that "the drunk idiots" are the life blood of the franchise because without their money and their views there would be no ufc, and would be no televised mma.

If the viewers are not being entertained that is an obvious problem because they will cease to watch said programming, which of course means less money. It is very obvious rolling on the floor is not entertaining to many people and that has been an ongoing problem since it has been conceived.

Is it effective? Sure it is, but it sure as hell is not fun to watch. People find scoring knockouts and drawing blood far more entertaining that that, it's the reason boxing still has more revenue than ufc and probably always will.

As far my instructors qualifications he is very qualified to show me the grappling in Shou shu, he himself said he doesn't wish to teach us bjj until his instructors tell him it's alright for him to do it.
Well ufcs been around since 93 and mma as a whole a lot longer and it's still very popular the way it is so it seems the drunks seem to be more knowledgable than you are about it

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yep. Any Gracie Jiu-Jistu affiliate, Pedro Sauer affiliate, Valente Brothers, Royce Gracie, or Relson Gracie affiliate would be a good place to look for a more defensive focused BJJ. The "Traditional Kodokan Judo" affiliate clubs might work as well, but I think there was something wrong with that organization from what I remember. Not sure though.

Dave Camarillo is as legit as they come, no question about that in my mind. Also, any Ribeiro Jiu-Jitsu affiliate is likely to have some Judo mixed with their BJJ as well. Saulo Ribeiro is a big fan of Judo, and he and his brother Xande have a Judo for BJJ class at their HQ.

As weird as their name sounds, it is my understanding that these guys are legit as well: John Saylor Shingitai Jujitsu Association Ground fighting Martial Arts and Jujitsu Exercise Training Videos and Strength Building Equipment

Yep, I train in Guerilla jiu jitsu in addition to Aikido. Dave is a great, great guy, and actually seems a little interested in seeing how I ultimately blend some Aikido with his style of JJ. I train under Coach Dwyer who is a brown belt student in guerilla jiu jitsu under Jared Feieranbend, who is a black belt under Dave Camarillo. Jared is simply incredible.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The causals in the crowd who are drunk do understand grappling. They cheer at takedowns or cheer when they pass the guard or when they're in the clinch chant knee. People are more knowledge these days you seem to be the one who doesn't understand that

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well ufcs been around since 93 and mma as a whole a lot longer and it's still very popular the way it is so it seems the drunks seem to be more knowledgable than you are about it

Are you upset? You seem to be offended about something. Compare the ratings of boxing and UFC and you'll see that many people prefer to watch boxing over ufc. There is a reason for that.

If people find rolling around on the floor entertaining to watch then good for them, most people however don't and the stats show that.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The causals in the crowd who are drunk do understand grappling. They cheer at takedowns or cheer when they pass the guard or when they're in the clinch chant knee. People are more knowledge these days you seem to be the one who doesn't understand that

A takedown is entertaining, what happens after that though? Lay and pray? I understand it perfectly, what you don't understand is that many do not find it entertaining.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are you upset? You seem to be offended about something. Compare the ratings of boxing and UFC and you'll see that many people prefer to watch boxing over ufc. There is a reason for that.

If people find rolling around on the floor entertaining to watch then good for them, most people however don't and the stats show that.
Nope not at all I don't get upset when people have different opinion to me. Yeah there's a reason for it mma has only been in the public eye for a very short period of time boxing has been around for centuries that's a fact.

And hey so you're now saying that your instructor doesn't teach you jiu jitsu sorry it's hard to keep up with all your stories

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I train in Guerilla jiu jitsu in addition to Aikido. Dave is a great, great guy, and actually seems a little interested in seeing how I ultimately blend some Aikido with his style of JJ. I train under Coach Dwyer who is a brown belt student in guerilla jiu jitsu under Jared Feieranbend, who is a black belt under Dave Camarillo. Jared is simply incredible.

https://smile.amazon.com/Aikido-BJJ...&qid=1467741650&sr=8-1&keywords=aikido+to+bjj

I presume you have seen this? I figured I would mention it just in case.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A takedown is entertaining, what happens after that though? Lay and pray? I understand it perfectly, what you don't understand is that many do not find it entertaining.

Like I said they cheer when they pass the guard and by the way not all ground fights are like there's plenty of really fun pure ground fights (Diego Sanchez vs nick Diaz, joe Stevenson vs Luke cummo, joe Stevenson vs nick Diaz) it doesn't sound like you understand it to me as you think all grappling is lay and pray and says who? You seem to be making that assumption what evidence of that is there? Mma is huge and I'd say it is bigger than boxing and kickboxing maybe not in numbers but in star power and actual potential look at this week there's like 4 ufc cards this week that are all sold out arenas and god knows how many millions will watch it on tv. So I think enough people find it entertaining. You'll probably say I'm upset something like you did to kenpoguy but it's not upset it's facts and I'm impartial because Im not a grappler but I know enough about the sport to understand it.

Like what's been said it seems to be you who doesn't understand it. Seeing as your the one that's calling grappling lay and pray and someone claiming to train in grappling and still call it that then well something's not right here.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope not at all I don't get upset when people have different opinion to me. Yeah there's a reason for it mma has only been in the public eye for a very short period of time boxing has been around for centuries that's a fact.

And hey so you're now saying that your instructor doesn't teach you jiu jitsu sorry it's hard to keep up with all your stories

Ok so you are condescending to everyone on the forum then? Mma has been in the public eye since the early 90's. That is more than enough time to get more ratings than boxing. It started to gain more steam in early 2000's and even then that is still enough time.

I doubt there is anyone who can hear the phrase UFC and say "never heard of it."

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said they cheer when they pass the guard and by the way not all ground fights are like there's plenty of really fun pure ground fights (Diego Sanchez vs nick Diaz, joe Stevenson vs Luke cummo, joe Stevenson vs nick Diaz) it doesn't sound like you understand it to me as you think all grappling is lay and pray and says who? You seem to be making that assumption what evidence of that is there? Mma is huge and I'd say it is bigger than boxing and kickboxing maybe not in numbers but in star power and actual potential look at this week there's like 4 ufc cards this week that are all sold out arenas and god knows how many millions will watch it on tv. So I think enough people find it entertaining. You'll probably say I'm upset something like you did to kenpoguy but it's not upset it's facts and I'm impartial because Im not a grappler but I know enough about the sport to understand it.

Like what's been said it seems to be you who doesn't understand it. Seeing as your the one that's calling grappling lay and pray and someone claiming to train in grappling and still call it that then well something's not right here.

Lay and pray is a phrase used by fans not by me. It is used to describe controlling an opponent using grappling methods. It is a respectable tactic that does of course require skill (especially against another grappler) but a total snooze fest in my opinion when it comes to viewing it.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

I would suggest that MMA is increasing at a rate that equals that of Boxing's decline. There are a few "superfights" that draw a good deal of attention, but other than that, I see little evidence of boxing's market superiority. Most of what is there, is the older generation. The younger are growing up in a world were MMA is king and boxing is rarely shown, and almost always a let down in the actual fight. It pains me to say this as I love boxing, and am really not a huge MMA guy at all.

As for the rest, I would be against anything that dumbs down the grappling in MMA. Leave it be, and let the sport grow organically.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok so you are condescending to everyone on the forum then? Mma has been in the public eye since the early 90's. That is more than enough time to get more ratings than boxing. It started to gain more steam in early 2000's and even then that is still enough time.

I doubt there is anyone who can hear the phrase UFC and say "never heard of it."
looks like you're the one getting upset because I'm disagreeing with you and questioned your instructors grappling teaching I'm just saying my opinion you're the one getting upset i better watch my back.

Yes mma has been around since the 90s but it was banned in almost every state not on ppv and barely sold on tickets and had the government trying to ban it, it only started getting truly big in 2005 with the ultimate fighter

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Um who are am I condescending looks like you're the one getting upset because I'm disagreeing with you I'm just saying my opinion you're the one getting upset i better watch my back.

Yes mma has been around since the 90s but it was banned in almost every state not on ppv and barely sold on tickets and had the government trying to ban it, it only started getting truly big in 2005 with the ultimate fighter

"The drunks know more about it than you."

"Sorry I can't up with your stories."

And no you don't need to watch your back. If this were even face to face it would never result in violence. I been trying hard to change afterall.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"The drunks know more about it than you."

"Sorry I can't up with your stories."

And no you don't need to watch your back. If this were even face to face it would never result in violence. I been trying hard to change afterall.
That's not everyone that's just you and yeah they do seem to know more since your the one claiming its dull and boring and as for your stories then yeah because you've been saying I've trained in judo when a kenpo instructor just showed you a few moves then you say your new instructor has been teaching you jiu jitsu now you say he's only teaching San shu grappling and wouldn't teach you bjj. I haven't said anything that can't be backed up. Now this conversations going no where I'm out

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not everyone that's just you and yeah they do seem to know more since your the one claiming its dull and boring and as for your stories then yeah because you've been saying I've trained in judo when a kenpo instructor just showed you a few moves then you say your new instructor has been teaching you jiu jitsu now you say he's only teaching San shu grappling and wouldn't teach you bjj. I haven't said anything that can't be backed up. Now this conversations going no where I'm out

The kenpo was taught with Judo alongside it. He showed me a few things and said they were from jiu jitsu, later on he made that statement that he won't teach it unless he is given the ok. I don't know if something happened that changed his mind or what but I'm just being honest here. I didn't realize I had to give you the word for word run down of how things happen.

And what about simply not finding something entertaining, means "you don't understand it?" It simply means you don't find it entertaining.

And by all means feel feel to leave, no need to waste either of our time.

Latest Discussions