Judo For Self-Defense On The Street?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "groin" argument has been brought up earlier in the thread, and in fact, it seems to come up anytime the topic of grappling and self-defense is under discussion. First of all, as many have noted, a groin strike is not some sort of skeleton key. Secondly, against an experienced grappler who knows how to control your arms and manage distance, they aren't as easy to pull off as one might think. Neither are bites.

One of our guys got head butted in the groin during a take down drill last night.

He wasn't allowed to stop. But he did groan a bit.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I sure hope you not using Judo or BJJ submission in self defense? The idea is to get mad guy on the ground and runway not fight him on the ground. If you have Judo or BJJ to get up ASAP and runway not fight him on the ground.

More time you fight him on the ground more people will jump in and fight.

Look at the ghetto fights on youtube and most of the time people are jumping in when they are fighting on the ground.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I sure hope you not using Judo or BJJ submission in self defense? The idea is to get mad guy on the ground and runway not fight him on the ground. If you have Judo or BJJ to get up ASAP and runway not fight him on the ground.

Look at the ghetto fights on youtube and most of the time people are jumping in when they are fighting on the ground.
I've got to agree I've nothing against grappling or ground fighting but honestly putting yourself on the floor in a street fight isn't a smart move. If you get knocked down or pushed then that's fine but you see it in mma a guy gets clinched and pulls guard then proceeds to get pounded for the round. Also adding on to what you said putting yourself on the floor in a night club or the street is so risky due to things like broken glass or drug needles or anything else. Jiu jitsu 100% works but personally Im never going to be in a hurry to get on the floor in a street fight

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In all honesty if you want home defense just get a cheap pistol from a pawn shop, most of the time burglars are going to be armed and no matter what the martial arts is a gun tends to beat you.

Unless of course they are stupid enough to try and shoot you up close. Bjj is a good workout for sure though, my sifu is a blue belt in it and sometimes shows us a few things from it. Hopefully it helps me lose some weight, right now I am sitting at 212 when I had previously lost 8 pounds. It seems to jump up and down between those 8.
I thought your sift did judo according to your other posts

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just giving your auto correct a hard time. Yeah my old sifu did American kenpo with Judo and my current one does Shou shu with Jiu jitsu.
Fair enough :) maybe one day I'll add some grappling but right now I'm happy knocking people out..in the ring I might add lol

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough :) maybe one day I'll add some grappling but right now I'm happy knocking people out..in the ring I might add lol

You do what you do so long as it makes you satisfied. If you are interested in only kickboxing then it would just waste your time to learn a grappling art. That would be like me learning weapons, why bother if I never plan to go into that style of competition?

Some guys will tell you that you have to take grappling and striking to be "well rounded" but what so you have to be well rounded for? Your sport doesn't require that from you so I wouldn't bother.

Then again grappling is a lot of fun so you might enjoy it. Just learn how to fall otherwise you're gonna have a bad time. I thought I had the meme for that but I couldn't find it lol.

Last edited:

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You do what you do so long as it makes you satisfied. If you are interested in only kickboxing then it would just waste your time to learn a grappling art. That would be like me learning weapons, why bother if I never plan to go into that style of competition?

Some guys will tell you that you have to take grappling and striking to be "well rounded" but what so you have to be well rounded for? Your sport doesn't require that from you so I wouldn't bother.
Nah I'm not doing it for the whole your not a good fighter if you don't grapple I've never bought into all that but just to try it out but honestly from watching training videos from actual classes it seems quite boring to me not something I'd fancy spending 2 hours doing no disrespect to the style but just not my thing and I'm just simply never going to want to roll around on the floor.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah I'm not doing it for the whole your not a good fighter if you don't grapple I've never bought into all that but just to try it out but honestly from watching training videos from actual classes it seems quite boring to me not something I'd fancy spending 2 hours doing no disrespect to the style but just not my thing and I'm just simply never going to want to roll around on the floor.

I know it looks boring. I used to feel the same way and still do think it is boring to see, but doing it is a lot different from watching it. It is a lot of fun to do it, at least I think so I know not everyone will.

If you want more stand up grappling try Judo, Judo spent more time with tachi waza (standing technique) then ne waza (foreplay)

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seriously? I think it's pretty obvious what I meant

I thought Ironbear24 hates grapplers? Base on is other threads?

I can see what Ironbear24 is trying to learn here. To learn it in way to get the mad guy on the ground and running away than fighting on the ground.

If that is the case than yea he may want to find Judo club that spends time doing self defense that does the dirty moves.

But too bad lot of BJJ and Judo are sports fighting than self defense. But if there was a BJJ school and Judo school that did self defense may be that is what Ironbear24 wants?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought Ironbear24 hates grapplers? Base on is other threads?

I can see what Ironbear24 is trying to learn here. To learn it in way to get the mad guy on the ground and running away than fighting on the ground.

If that is the case than yea he may want to find Judo club that spends time doing self defense that does the dirty moves.

But too bad lot of BJJ and Judo are sports fighting than self defense. But if there was a BJJ school and Judo school that did self defense may be that is what Ironbear24 wants?

I never said hate grapplers.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know it looks boring. I used to feel the same way and still do think it is boring to see, but doing it is a lot different from watching it. It is a lot of fun to do it, at least I think so I know not everyone will.

If you want more stand up grappling try Judo, Judo spent more time with tachi waza (standing technique) then ne waza (foreplay)

It is want you like Ironbear24 and why yo are doing it. Where some people really like Judo, BJJ and wrestling and don't really like stand up striking and other people are the opposite.

It like saying do you like driving a pick up truck or sports car. Some people love sports cars and hate pick up trucks and other people are opposite. Some people could like both or in middle.

If it mainly for self defense that is other thing.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

There are plenty of BJJ schools that teach self-defense. That is less true for Judo schools, but they exist as well.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

And let's say you magically get them to the ground, but you can't runaway? What do you do then?

There was a case of a karate girl in Australia who got taken down by an attacker, managed to get up, but got taken right back down to the ground again, and she got pretty battered in the process. The only way she escaped that situation was a third party coming to her rescue.

Sometimes you just can't run away, and if someone took you down the first time, nothing stops them from doing it to you again and again. However, if you break their limbs and/or choke them unconscious, that prevents them from continuing the attack, and then you can really get away.

Skullpunch

Green Belt
Reaction score
And let's say you magically get them to the ground, but you can't runaway? What do you do then?

There was a case of a karate girl in Australia who got taken down by an attacker, managed to get up, but got taken right back down to the ground again, and she got pretty battered in the process. The only way she escaped that situation was a third party coming to her rescue.

I remember hearing about that, and as I recall she was actually holding her own decently well at the time. Granted there's no telling what would have happened if the other guy wasn't there to intervene but still, it's not like the attacker was just completely having his way with her before the intervention, she may very well have been able to fight him off on his own if she had to.

That's not to say that more ground skills wouldn't have improved her chances, obviously they would have, but she wasn't as defenseless as you're making her sound either.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I never said hate grapplers.

You said it looked boring and going on to say in other thread why grapplers vs striking.

Thread called.

Why do people think grappling arts always beat striking arts?

So you think people in MMA emphasis grappling too much?

Latest Discussions