What to do if people train too hard

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not what I meant, my comments were in answer to DB's post which practically blamed her for charging in being the aggressor rather than her resisting more than some.
I get that. I don't think he was trying to blame her - rather make sure she was aware her entry affects the opponent's responses. It seems common-sense, but I often have to remind students of this when they bring a hard and fast attack at me, then are surprised they get blocked hard or fall down fast.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it might not be the complete answer, but if she is being over powered by beginners, that being her self considerably stronger would reduce this
It will not stop folks from overcoming the submissions. Adding more strength to her responses is likely to do the opposite.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a thread on that.

I get that. I don't think he was trying to blame her - rather make sure she was aware her entry affects the opponent's responses. It seems common-sense, but I often have to remind students of this when they bring a hard and fast attack at me, then are surprised they get blocked hard or fall down fast.

Have you read the thread he was referring to? He is likening the OP to the female mentioned in the OP on that one, an over aggressive female.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you read the thread he was referring to? He is likening the OP to the female mentioned in the OP on that one, an over aggressive female.
He asked how hard she was going, which implies to me that he hasn't made a judgement. In his experience, someone who ends up in that position sometimes contributes to it by going hard (or, looking from the other angle, can help alleviate it by being more controlled). I didn't read any harsh judgement of her in his post - just. A question and an explanation of the reason for the question.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but most people who are into Jiu Jitsu don't go onto martial art forums complaining about being put in them
She's not complaining about being in submissions. She's complaining about injuries from them. I'd complain about that, too, if it were a regular occurrence.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It will not stop folks from overcoming the submissions. Adding more strength to her responses is likely to do the opposite.
I'm sorry you've lost me with that, having more strengh will make it worse how does that work?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He asked how hard she was going, which implies to me that he hasn't made a judgement. In his experience, someone who ends up in that position sometimes contributes to it by going hard (or, looking from the other angle, can help alleviate it by being more controlled). I didn't read any harsh judgement of her in his post - just. A question and an explanation of the reason for the question.

He linked it with the other thread where someone was complaining about women and their lack of training and being overly aggressive. If he hadn't done that then the post here would seem innocuous.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
She's not complaining about being in submissions. She's complaining about injuries from them. I'd complain about that, too, if it were a regular occurrence.
There's a very easy way to get out of submissions before they cause any type of injury.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a very easy way to get out of submissions before they cause any type of injury.
my elbow was very close to breaking and I yelled out tap tap tap but he even delayed letting go -

She did tap but one guy delayed before letting go. This though because he's competed and has got into the habit of not letting go until the ref has confirmed it as a submission or he could just be not very good .

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
She did tap but one guy delayed before letting go. This though because he's competed and has got into the habit of not letting go until the ref has confirmed it as a submission or he could just be not very good .
She also said she yelled out tap. Which I never do unless it's the only option as if it's a busy class it'll be noisy with everyone else working or talking so they may not hear. Anyway the smart thing to do especially if you don't have much experience is tap early. If you're in a position you know you're not getting out of just tap early. It's not worth the risk in my eyes I mean it's only it's not a competition you don't need to hold on for ages

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

And this is the part that worries me the most, and makes me wonder where the instructor was in all this. In my opinion when it comes to free sparring/rolling, either the instructor should be directly supervising the beginners, or if that is not possible then pair the beginners up with senior students who can control their strength. Not only this but if the beginners goes too hard, the senior student should be skilled enough to withstand it whereas a fellow beginner would be overwhelmed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Try reading it again.
it makes no sense unless being weaker is an advantage, which seems unlikely, she is being over powered by beginners who being male are,somewhat stronger than her. If she was,somewhat,stronger herself then they wouldn't be over powering her, hence the submission problem would not,arise

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it makes no sense unless being weaker is an advantage, which seems unlikely, she is being over powered by beginners who being male are,somewhat stronger than her. If she was,somewhat,stronger herself then they wouldn't be over powering her, hence the submission problem would not,arise
Again, read the actual post. I never suggested being stronger was a problem, but that using it would be. Since using it would exacerbate the problem, strength doesn't become a solution, though it's a good recommendation as a general practice.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
And what would be best for her during the time period it takes for her to become stronger? The strength she will need isn't just being physically stronger...it is more of how and when to use one's strength that is needed. What does she do to learn that? Is physical strength needed in the grappling game...certainly. But if it is just being somewhat stronger that is required then there is no real reason to learn good and proper techniques. Just getting stronger will do.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And what would be best for her during the time period it takes for her to become stronger? The strength she will need isn't just being physically stronger...it is more of how and when to use one's strength that is needed. What does she do to learn that? Is physical strength needed in the grappling game...certainly. But if it is just being somewhat stronger that is required then there is no real reason to learn good and proper techniques. Just getting stronger will do.
she getting done over by complete beginners, clearly her skills are insufficient to cope with greater strengh, she should indeed continue to develop her skills, but that may still not be sufficient to over come the strengh deficit , so one way or another she needs to increase her strengh. Plus getting stronger is generaly a quicker process that making a big jump in skill