What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

S

Spud

By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Champions by Richard A. Cohen

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The Bread Baker's Bible by Christine Ingram and Jennie Shapter

I got into artisan bread baking last winter, now I'm trying new techniques and recipes from this book. I will say that I made my best baguettes ever using a modified version the recipe from this book.

Lamont

B

Black Bear

Haw haw, Arnisador is the only guy here who reads. :D

An Arrow Pointing to Heaven, which is a memoir of the life of Rich Mullins.

Why Marriages Succeed or Fail, by John Gottman.

Some conference proceedings from last October. I'm about to quit on that one, it's mostly academic fluff. Strange--the conference was good.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Dune "Machine Crusade"

Uh ToD, that would be FICTION.

In any case I'm reading "The Holy Kingdom" a book describing archeological and historical evidence for the "real" King Arthur.

Lamont

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Blindside
Uh ToD, that would be FICTION.

In any case I'm reading "The Holy Kingdom" a book describing archeological and historical evidence for the "real" King Arthur.

Lamont
OOPS! What I meant to say was the "Dictionary of the Khazar's" by Milorad Pavi'c. Its a collection of short stories and intersting facts about the region known as Serbia. The place has been a hotbed since the crusades. It may also count as fiction, but it really helps you understand just what the hell happened to make them all want to kill eachother off.
Sean

P

Posiview

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life by: Jon Lee Anderson

Wanted to read this book for a long time. Very good, detailed read.

The Man of the Century: Winston Churchill and His Legend Since 1945 by: John Ramsden

Only read a little, but the book provides an inside into arguably the greatest ever Briton.

The Los Angeles Diaries by: James Brown

Excellent short book that really made me realise what a great life I have and that I need to realise every minute of it – HIGHLY recommended read.

E

Elfan

Posiview said:
The Man of the Century: Winston Churchill and His Legend Since 1945 by: John Ramsden

Only read a little, but the book provides an inside into arguably the greatest ever Briton.

I've thought the difference in Winston Churchill's legend in America and Briton is interesting. Americans tend to remember him almost exclusively for his finest hour speech while the British seem to have a more balanced view of him. I was wondering if The Man of the Century covers this at all.

arnisador said:

Cold you post a review arnisador? It sounds interesting.

-----
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

To quote from the Amazon review: "If the first 270 pages of this book had been published separately, they would have made up a lively, insightful, beautifully written history of theoretical physics and the men and women who plumbed the mysteries of the atom. Along with the following 600 pages, they become a sweeping epic, filled with terror and pity, of the ultimate scientific quest: the development of the ultimate weapon. "

I strongly recommend this book. Its definatly got the Pulitzer Prize for a reason.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was interesting, though rather polemic. Let me think about it before I post a review.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm re-reading the three Jin Shin Jyuitsu books by Mary Burmeister

Essential Reiki, A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art by Diane Stein

Eseential Anatomy for Healing and Martial Arts by Marc Tedeschi
Study, study, study.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Blackhawk Down by Bowden - as usual the book was WAY better than the movie. Far more viewpoints are shown than simply that of the American soldiers. I highly recommend this book, and it gives a feeling of what our troops in Iraq are going through right now.

Great Basin Riparian Ecosystems, Ecology, Management, and Restoration
Mostly for my professional developement, unfortunately it is a bit dryer than my normal fiction. :)

Lamont

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Poor Man's Raygun"

Its a book about how to make a Microwave Beam Weapon out of your Microwave oven.

E

Elfan

Latest Discussions