What martial art would you like to do?

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you could of done any martial art apart from the one your doing what martial art would you like to of done?

I think for me judo or jujitsu. I would love a good understanding when getting in close.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to do capoiera! Sadly I'm not nearly young enough or flexible enough to even try it lol!

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to learn Kung- Fu. Nothing I know is nearly as beautiful to see in action.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the top of my lists of other arts I`d like to try is Aikido, it is very very impressive when done by a skilled person.

I would also very much like to learn how to fight with a staff. There is something special about this simple yet extremely versetaile and brutal weapon that appeals to me. Many systems to choose from too.

Ah, so little time, so much to learn

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have practiced and continue to practice quite a few. Someday if I get the chance I would like to take more of a look at the European martial arts that are still in existence as well as some extensive training in the Chinese Martial Arts particularly their military systems. However I do not think I will be stopping there.
icon12.gif

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
A good Western martial art like old Spanish fencing or Jogo do Pau, Fujien Dog Boxing, Kalaripayitt, traditional Persian combatives (boxing, wrestling, the bow, lance, mace, shamshir and buckler)...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A good Western martial art like old Spanish fencing or Jogo do Pau, Fujien Dog Boxing, Kalaripayitt, traditional Persian combatives (boxing, wrestling, the bow, lance, mace, shamshir and buckler)...

If you ever get the chance to practice Kalaripayattu in India I am sure that you will enjoy it quite a bit!
icon14.gif

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to learn kendo--which I will be learning for half a semester starting in late August.

I've watched WAY too many swashbuckling movies in my life.:)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am happy with how things turned out however if i started over I might get deeper into groundfighting. I wrestled a bit but never did much formally.
I did a bit of fencing and that was fun so perhaps more of that also.

One problem is that I guess I want to do it all! :)

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One problem is that I guess I want to do it all! :)

I agree ;). There are so many interesting martial arts... Fortunately, I have recently narrowed down my 'list' a little, since I am sure it's impossible to train in all martial arts that exists :(. I hope there will be martial arts in Heaven - then I don't have to worry about not having enough time to learn everything there is to learn... But I'm fairly sure that the Internet had something to do with me wanting to practise more arts than the one I'm doing right now... You're just browsing the forums a little bit, an unknown name of an art comes up, you google it and you think: "Wow! I'd like to learn that!" and another art is put on your 'list'...

I'd like to learn Iaido but unfortunately no-one in my city teaches it so I'll have to wait until I go to university. I've always liked swords and well, the general idea of Iaido appeals to me (it's mostly individual, sparring doesn't play a large role etc - one of my eyes doesn't work so I don't think I want to spar with shinai... *shivers*)

I'd also like to learn a Chinese art but I haven't found an interesting one yet :(. However, I'll go to Taiwan next year for eight weeks or so, so I am already looking for something interesting.

It's really a pity that I don't live in America... You've got so much more choice in martial arts you can do... In my city there's only Judo (two or three schools), karate (2 schools) and Pencak Silat (also two schools).

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
If not Cuong Nhu, probabaly either Wing Chun or Aikido. My intrest in them is because (ironicly) of Cuong Nhu. They're both one of the seven major styles of influence (along with Tai Chi Chuan, Boxing, Shotokan, Judo, and Vovinam). If neither of those I'd be most intrested in either Vovinam (I like the staff), or maybe Shaolin. Jeet Kune Do looks intresting also. Well, ok really the only martial art I would rather not do is MMA (to much of a sporting aspect for my tastes) or Capoeria (I'd hurt my self if I even tried).

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun and Aikido would be at the top of my list of martial arts I'd like to try.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to try a soft style, because I think it would complement the TKD really well - we do some soft-style techniques, like throws, but I'd like to learn about them in more detail - maybe Aikido.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree ;). There are so many interesting martial arts... Fortunately, I have recently narrowed down my 'list' a little, since I am sure it's impossible to train in all martial arts that exists :(. I hope there will be martial arts in Heaven - then I don't have to worry about not having enough time to learn everything there is to learn... But I'm fairly sure that the Internet had something to do with me wanting to practise more arts than the one I'm doing right now... You're just browsing the forums a little bit, an unknown name of an art comes up, you google it and you think: "Wow! I'd like to learn that!" and another art is put on your 'list'...

I'd like to learn Iaido but unfortunately no-one in my city teaches it so I'll have to wait until I go to university. I've always liked swords and well, the general idea of Iaido appeals to me (it's mostly individual, sparring doesn't play a large role etc - one of my eyes doesn't work so I don't think I want to spar with shinai... *shivers*)

I'd also like to learn a Chinese art but I haven't found an interesting one yet :(. However, I'll go to Taiwan next year for eight weeks or so, so I am already looking for something interesting.

It's really a pity that I don't live in America... You've got so much more choice in martial arts you can do... In my city there's only Judo (two or three schools), karate (2 schools) and Pencak Silat (also two schools).
To bad you haven't found an interesting Chinese Art. I think there are many.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
II'd also like to learn a Chinese art but I haven't found an interesting one yet :(. However, I'll go to Taiwan next year for eight weeks or so, so I am already looking for something interesting.

What have you seen and what are you looking for in a style?

List of Chinese martial arts
http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-chinese-martial-arts

As to the question of What martial art I would like to do?

If I could study Chen style Taiji full time that would make me very happy.

But I like training the styles I train, Yang taiji, once again Chen Taiji, Xingyi and Sanda.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's so many! From White Crane and 7 Star Mantis to Combat Hapkido and Aikido. There are sooo many cool styles, from graceful and beautiful to just killer effective and to the point. I don't know if I could pick one, but it would almost certainly be Chinese if I could. I love the look of Kung Fu forms in general.

jim

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me there was only one dojo in my home town in the mid 60's when I was discharged fron the Navy, so Okinawan goju it was. Goju has it's roots in the Chinese Martial Arts so with hind sight I guess Shaolin White Crane or one of the others southern chinese styles would have been awesome.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to do Hapkido well. I've trained in it just enough to appreciate it. My issue is that most advanced techniques require two hands to do.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would love to do Hapkido well. I've trained in it just enough to appreciate it. My issue is that most advanced techniques require two hands to do.

Not to be impolite if this has been discussed before, but is the two hands an issue for you? I ask because it seems odd for one, but having lost an eye to cancer myself I know for turning and spinning moves I try to stick to my good side when I can or go as quickly as possible when I can't.

Latest Discussions