What martial art would you like to do?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's nor rude or impolite at all, Jim. I have a mild case of cerebral palsy on my right side. It makes a lot of the fine motor movements of joint locks that require both hands difficult. I also don't have the balance on my right side to do throws well. I've trained in Hapkido a bit & enjoyed it. I need to work with someone who can help me with specific things.

Jim, it sounds like your doing well working with your situation as well. Keep it up!:asian:

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd like to learn Combat Hapkido or Aikido to complement my TKD, I did a little Aikido, just enough to appreciate it and I am still very interested in a throwing art, I come down onthe side of Hapkido though because I think it would sit with TKD a little more, mainly because they are both Korean, even if the only difference is I don't have to learn more technique names ;)

Saying that, if I didn't have to choose one art and I had all the time I needed, I'd want to learn them all. I guess I'm just plain greedy.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's nor rude or impolite at all, Jim. I have a mild case of cerebral palsy on my right side. It makes a lot of the fine motor movements of joint locks that require both hands difficult. I also don't have the balance on my right side to do throws well. I've trained in Hapkido a bit & enjoyed it. I need to work with someone who can help me with specific things.

Jim, it sounds like your doing well working with your situation as well. Keep it up!:asian:

OK cool, I assumed it was something, but hearing that I have to say once again Congrats on the Third Dan! Jeez, that's absolutely awesome!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always wanted to do Hapkido as well. It's a good mixture of kicking, self defense, throws, ect. I also would have said Jujitsu, but I do that off and on now.

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What have you seen and what are you looking for in a style?

I haven't seen much, unfortunately. A friend of mine practises Shaolin Kempo (I take it that that's a chinese martial art? There are so many kinds of kempo...) and I think it appeared to be quite nice.

However, it seems a though almost all Chinese Martial Arts use Chi and I don't think I like the concept of Chi. (not to offend anyone!) I don't feel comfortable with such things, so I was looking for a Chi-free Chinese Martial Art that still has the... wel nice-looking things & weapons, but I haven't succeeded yet.

Tlaloc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ditto here on the general idea of "I'd love to try capoiera if I were flexible enough!" I'd also like to learn some kung fu in the not so distant future. And also, now that I am learning the pyung forms (in TSD), I'd really like to get some exposure to shotokan karate.

CityChicken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I practiced Eagle Claw Kung Fu for 2 years, interesting but I did not find it to be practical when applied. Too acrobatic? So I started Tang Soo Do and just got my Cho Dan (black belt). I love TSD.

I am going to start taking the Korean soward art of Haidong Gumdo at my TSD school.

I would like to check out Krav Maga, b/c I'd imagine the Israeli Def. Forces know something about self defense. But there are no schools near me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I haven't seen much, unfortunately. A friend of mine practises Shaolin Kempo (I take it that that's a chinese martial art? There are so many kinds of kempo...) and I think it appeared to be quite nice.

However, it seems a though almost all Chinese Martial Arts use Chi and I don't think I like the concept of Chi. (not to offend anyone!) I don't feel comfortable with such things, so I was looking for a Chi-free Chinese Martial Art that still has the... wel nice-looking things & weapons, but I haven't succeeded yet.

Shaolin Kempo is not a real Chinese martial art it just has a Chinese word (Shaolin) attached to it. Shaolin encompasses multiple styles of Kung fu but it is not Kempo or Karate.

There are different types of Qi and different types of Qi training. If you go with a Taiji, Bagua, Xingyi you are going to get into internal Qi training, which it sounds like you would not be comfortably with.

Sanda/Sanshou is the only entirely Qi free CMA I know of (Or at least it claims to be) but you will not get weapons forms in Sanda .The police/Military version is for fighting and self defense for the Military and police. The Sport version is for fighting in the ring, Cung Le is a Sport Sanhou/sanda fighter.

If you go with any of the external styles you may or may not get into external Qi training but that is decidedly different from internal training.

Look at the list I posted and it will give you a pretty good over view of many CMA styles. And don't let the word Qi scare you off. Chinese believe everything has Qi much the same as western except the fact that we have a nervous system.

If you have any questions about specific styles of CMA post them. There are some rather talented people on MT that can likely answer your questions

Latest Discussions