At what point do you take up a second art?

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey there guys!

As a few of you probably know, I've taken up a eclectic form of Jujitsu recently. So recently, in fact, that I've only been to two lessons of it. It's a bit of a shame that it's only one a week. Therefore, I am thinking about asking if I could sit in on the adults class (They have it twice a week, so 3 times for me in total). This is because I can't actually practice anything more than breakfalls at home, so I want the instructors to try to give me a goal to achieve. I think more lessons, even if I'm not testing techniques against somebody, is a lot better than practicing techniques against nobody with nobody to tell me if I'm doing it right or wrong.

Anyway, on to the matter at hand. My Jujitsu class does not boast almost any strikes, from what I've seen and heard. We only do strikes in order for the opponent to set up their counter to it. Unfortunately, we don't do sparring until Adults Class, so I just need to get the technique down for now. Therefore, I would like to take up another Art.

My choices are: Boxing, Judo, Shotokan Karate and Enshin Karate.

Currently, I'm leaning rather strongly towards Boxing as it's interested me for a while now, so I see no reason why not to give it a try. Additionally, since it's purely striking, I won't get it confused with Jujitsu. I imagine that's one of the commen issues of cross training this early. I am not rushing, as I do not know when I want to take up a second art, but I know that I'd like to eventually. Muay Thai sounds the most interesting to me as with JJJ and MT, groundwork is all that could possibly be missing. I don't intend to do martial arts for competitive reasons, but I am still interested it Boxing all the same. Regardless if it is a 'Sport' art or not, it still seems to be very effective in street fights, especially 3v1.

This is because if 3 people come at you at once, and you try to use JJJ, you may get one, but the others will get you. With Boxing/Karate, it will take one shot if they aren't trained to leave them dazed, allowing for easy followups.

I suppose a final question would be what are shotokan/enshin karate styles? I know some of them, like Kyokushin, but I think these two will be easily explained in people's own words. I only want to do one sports MA, so that means choose Judo/Shotokan/Boxing, but I'm sure Enshin karate would be great too.

I'll go and see classes of them sometime soon, just asking for your opinion on it for now, especially considering the quality or lack thereof of some karate schools.

Thanks again.

Matt.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best time is when you get comfortable with one, don't overdo it
Practicing multiple styles is interesting there is so much to learn but it's better to get well into one martial arts first. I'm certain your instructor knows what he/she is taking about so that person may have a good advice.
I like karate Whether its practicing kata, bunkai, kumite or kotekitai. If it's a traditional school it will take a lot of effort ranked will be given only when it is earned
Best of luck

OP
M

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Luckily, that's all I request. I'm very keen to go into the martial arts world, all I want to know is that if I work my very hardest on everything I am told to, I will improve. I don't care any prestige too much, I just want to get stronger for many reasons.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the main issues you're going to have at this point is that different systems rely on different methods of power. While it's certainly possible to combine arts effectively, at this point you would be trying to combine two different systems, neither one of which you actually understand.
Cross training is a good thing. But you need to be at least competent in one before trying to add another. And expert would be even better.

Latest Discussions