What do you teach a 5 year old and how do you keep their attention?

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been asked by my son's daycare to do a 30 minute program for the kids for this summer. They are from 5 years old to kinder. I was thinking of setting up some kind of obstacle course to help them improve their balance and coordination. I was wondering is someone who has experience teaching 5 year olds, would be kind enough to give me some pionters, rutine or drill that I can use.

Your input is greatly appreciated

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I'm no expert, I feel for ya', so will try to throw out a couple of ideas. I'd probably keep it simple: obstacle course may be tough for those who aren't great natural athletes (but I've only ever taught one kid below age 9, so I could be all wet--she is a K student, tho).

If you want an MA flavor, maybe teach the bow from one of your arts, with symbolism (old 'peace over power' or 'sheath covers weapon' thing), tho' wouldn't talk for too long. This would get them moving a little bit in a warmup activity.

Then, I personally would teach a short routine. Kung Fu San Soo's 8 Basic Foot Movements could be a lot of fun (esp w/ a little application thrown in--e.g., cat stance can take you away from bad man's reach, etc.). Think there's a diagram on Master Paul Borisoff's website (he's a member here, as are some of his students). And as all 'basics', you can actually study these 8 simple movements for years and still be seeing new applications, further caveats in stances & transitions, etc.

Anyway, if not that, maybe s.th. like it. Then they can go home and tell Mom and Dad they 'learned karate'. Fun time all around.

Keep us posted!

sholo86

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The key is to make a game out of the "exercise." An obstacle course like you said is a good one. Here are my suggestions:
One leg hops, frog jumps, and rolling (ie: front, shoulder, back, etc). This could be a race. Oh, also lots of running and chasing. You know kids love to run around and chase something.

curious

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a teacher but as a "karate mom" I have watched almost every class (at least 90%) my kids have attended. My youngest son still attends the Peewees classes (ages 4-8). The majority of the curriculum is teaching them the basics- how to bow in/out, right/left stances, balance, catching, kicks and punches. They also love playing Simon Says (to teach them how to follow directions and focus), the Stranger game (so you learn how to get away from the "bad guy trying to kidnap you"), "Gladiators" (grappling-no submissions/locks/choke holds-just dominating and learning how to get the person off of you) and Dodge ball (with those big light exercise balls- 65mm; helps with reflexes, accuracy and team work). There are plenty more "games" the instructor has for the students....you always have to change it up....if not they will get bored and believe me they do not have a problem letting you know.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The key is to make a game out of the "exercise." An obstacle course like you said is a good one. Here are my suggestions:
One leg hops, frog jumps, and rolling (ie: front, shoulder, back, etc). This could be a race. Oh, also lots of running and chasing. You know kids love to run around and chase something.

We also make games which correlate to their practicing karate in a fun way. That does seem to work well!

We also teach basics and very simple self defense techniques..
you can have them jump over a blocker as you sweep it below them and then add in where they have to duck as you sweep the blocker over their heads.

Let us know how it goes!

rustyself

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
we use 10 inch long belts, and put them in their back pockets or under the back of their belts. then they play belt grab. teaches blocking and evasion.

we also use "snords." you know, the foam noodles, as swords, and let them spar with those.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have been asked by my son's daycare to do a 30 minute program for the kids for this summer. They are from 5 years old to kinder. I was thinking of setting up some kind of obstacle course to help them improve their balance and coordination. I was wondering is someone who has experience teaching 5 year olds, would be kind enough to give me some pionters, rutine or drill that I can use.

First and probably the most important thing is to keep them active. Due to them being young and having a short attention span, if you lose their attention for too long, its twice as hard to gain it back.

As for what to teach. Again, keep things simple. I'd start with some basic blocks, maybe a few hand strikes and a kick or two. Obstacle course is a great idea. You could take one of those foam blockers and work their blocks with them. I'd go slow, not telling them what strike I was going to do. This not only re-enforces what blocks you taught them, but its fun and they liked it. :) I've also done a variation of "Simon Says" only this was Sensei Says (or whatever the title you choose to use is) This works on their attention skills as well as once again, reenforcing the material you taught.

Good luck! :)

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sure

- Change techniques often. Little kids get bored easily, and are not interested in perfection - they're interested in play. If you repeat the same thing over and over until it's right, by adult standards, they'll get bored and act up.

- Use a lot of humor in your teaching methods and corrections, but make sure it's little-kid level humor - they won't understand sarcasm

- Have a routine set up - for example, if you want them to line up every time they come in, have a place for them to run to every time they come in; they'll know what to expect, and you'll get more done.

- BE CONSISTENT - this is important for all instructors, but especially with little kids. You can raise your expectations for their physical performance as they get better, but your expectations for behavior have to be the same all the time. Let them know up front what you expect from them - kids are often able to perform above what most people expect as long as you tell them what you want in a way they understand. Have clear and consistent consequences for misbehavior, and make sure you reward appropriate behavior at least as often as you punish misbehavior - rewards should come 2-3 times as often as punishment if at all possible. Time out is the most appropriate punishment, shouldn't be longer than 1 minute/year of the child's age. Stickers, high fives, positive reinforcement ("good job") and telling their parents how well they're doing are all good positives, and either free or cheap (stickers are cheaply available at craft stores like Hobby Lobby)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

How do you KEEP their attention??
Barney

You're on the right track.
Obstacle course.
Also: Get some focus mits. Kids love to actually HIT a target, they'll respond to a challenge Pretty well, for a bit. Punching air is boring. (For a 5 year old and for ME)

Good luck

Your Brother
John

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
My son's karate instructor (Sensei Rick - Young Champions of America, Glendale, Arizona) gives the kids ribbons after class or certain drills and/or exercises. He shows the kids what they will get if they just try to do the drill. I suggest load up on 1st and 2nd place colored ribbons and funny stickers and let the kids know what they will earn for trying. All kids love prizes so you'll most likely even get the lazy kids to try the drills. Also, some kids just cannot do leg work. Have alternate punching or blocking drills for those less coordinated kids.

My son is 4 yrs. old (the youngest in his class) and in his 2nd semester of Karate. He could care less about learning his kata but just loves all the ribbons he earns.

Good luck!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you KEEP their attention??

Can't be done.

The strategy is to continually reacquire their attention. Change activities early and often. Use cadence, triggers and anchors. Disguise repetition. Maintain a nearly constant stream of amusing patter.

Those little minds have spent 5 years being programed to have an attention span shorter than 30 seconds. Martial arts can expand that, but this is where you're starting.

Don't try to keep their attention. Just keep getting it back.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We have had "little dragon" classes in the past and we keep it real basic. We do line up and bow in. And the kids learn attention stance pretty quickly and if they start to get crazy we yell the korean for it and they snap to it. As far as actual techniques we do lots of paddle drills (they like to hit things) and we teach "kick" (not front kick, side kick, etc.. just kick) and punch and block (we usually get a high middle and low out of them). We also do a lot of animal races, or the color game (go find something that is... blue! and they all go running). We also, like someone else said, jump over a blocker, duck under one. We focus mostly on gross motor skills and participation. The kids have to take turns and always say yes sir, or ma'am.
We also make sure parents know that we call it "pre-martial arts." we aren't REALLY teaching your kic martial arts, we are getting them up for fun exercise that makes them feel like ninja turtles. Participation in and of its self is all we care about. And then those kids are getting used to environment and understanding how things work, and as they get older they often end up being our best students because once they ARE old enough to really understand what they are doing, they already understand how the dynamics of the dojang work.

Good luck! And the most important thing is fun!! Lots of positive reinfocement, lots of activity, again focus on participation, not correcting technique. I really like the idea of ribbons and stickers too!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good suggestions! I teach Little Dragons too 4-7yr olds. Bless the little dears! We do a Star Blocking kata with them which they can shout out the moves as they do them. It's basically, Ready stance, horse riding stance. Right arm high block (shout 'High') then In (out to in) block, (shout 'In') 'Out' (in to out) block,downwards block, (shout 'down') push down block (shout push down) then shout 'back' bring hand back. Go through same with left arm then both arms. We keep it very simple, in English and can show them what each block is for separately. You can speed it up really fast for fun too. If they shout loudly it's a release for energy when you don't actually want them running everywhere. You can teach them your style's names for the blocks or just leave it in English as we do until they are older.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The name of the game is fun. Getting them to move around with some fun stuff like dodge ball using some very soft balls will help with hand/eye
coordination plus tying a balloon to there leg and with a partner move around and try to stomp the other persons balloon. I would use colored paper clips as rewards for good work. They could clip them on there belt or some where on there clothes, kids loved them. Class should be short, about 1/2 hour. Hit them hard and fast and leave them wanting more.

OP
Dragon Fist

Dragon Fist

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys all of these are really good suggestions.
It looks like my biggest challenge is keeping their attention.
I will try some if not, all of these suggestions at some point with the kids. I will let you guys know what was a hit or a miss.
I am still taking suggestions if there are anymore. But so far, these are great....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our club is well stocked luckily with focus pads, kick shields etc so I line the kids up at one end of the mats and lay a trail of pads to the other end, they have to jump from one to another (islands) to get to the other, if they fall off (into the sea) the sharks get them! they can get their 'life' back by performing a move for one of the other instructors. They love this game, it teaches them balance and is good fun. the pads don't suffer either!
I sometimes set up an assault course which they also love, I usually start with one of our small standing kickpads where they do 2 kicks, then a tunnel made of 2 'handbag' type kick shields with a normal one on top, then a crashmat where they can do a forward roll (or forward breakfall if they know it) a jump made of another kickshield, then a skipping rope (bit hard so I say just do 3 jumps) another standing kick pad to punch this time, cones to run in and out of, we have a mat with 'duck feet' printed on it to finish off with doing a duck walk. We add bits and pieces as we think of them, often the kids will come up with suggestions.

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not too experienced with teaching OR kids but here's my two cents. A good way to start in any martial art is ettiquette and respect. I'd be worried about rambunctiousness and mischief after they go home. How to make a fist properly is good. I know when I was a kid kicking was more fun than punching. It's also a great time to introduce them to the core philosophies and beleifs of a system. That's all I got...